Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I don't really know what kind. It is a good grade but not the real expensive kind. With no kids at home and no dog we didn't feel it was necessary to get the top of the line. Besides, we will sell the house when the market picks up anyhow. On sale and with a discount is was about $8.00 a square foot.

Geez, what kind of carpet costs $8 a square foot? Is it silk and gold? I just paid for upper end carpet and it only cost me 4.50 a square foot. :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    Geez, what kind of carpet costs $8 a square foot? Is it silk and gold? I just paid for upper end carpet and it only cost me 4.50 a square foot. :eek:
    Carpet used to only be sold in the square yardage. Installation and padding too... installation is still figured on square yardage, not square feet.

I think they went to square footage to confuse the customer who was price comparing from store to store, and make it seem cheaper. And now most people shop in square footage with carpet. I still bill in yards.

I recently installed wool carpet throughout a bazillionaires house, that mustve cost about $50. a sq. yard. Not sure what the sq. footage comes out to though, and I am too lazy to think about it.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Did Mrs Gator also drag you to Bed Bath & Beyond to finish you off???:p:D

Ha Ha!! You have to now do what we just got finished doing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    Pretty funny.. how you describe the carpet based on price. I bet whatsername would be able to tell me the style, color, and texture, including the padding underneathe, and price wouldnt even be mentioned.
    You've got that right. We just had carpet put in about 10 days ago. It was a Stainguard, had a 20 year warranty, padding was the higher grade with the plastic liner.

We bought it the same day we started looking. Problem was that I forgot what it looked like. It was a real surprise when it came. I'm getting used to it now and like it.

Gator, feel for you with the bookcases. I had to get everything out of 2 bookcases in the computer room and out of an antique armoire that I use as a dresser in the bedroom. It took almost a whole day to move all that junk in 3 rooms. The carpet installers moved the heavy stuff.

Can't even think about moving that gun case. That sounds like work for the professionals.

Carpet used to only be sold in the square yardage. Installation and padding too... installation is still figured on square yardage, not square feet.

I think they went to square footage to confuse the customer who was price comparing from store to store, and make it seem cheaper. And now most people shop in square footage with carpet. I still bill in yards.

I recently installed wool carpet throughout a bazillionaires house, that mustve cost about $50. a sq. yard. Not sure what the sq. footage comes out to though, and I am too lazy to think about it.
    Is that the place with the white carpet and the huge garage/showroom? Were you able to take pics?

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Is that the place with the white carpet and the huge garage/showroom? Were you able to take pics?
    That is the place! I did not take pics yet, but I am sure that the stairs from the one garage level, to the next will be getting carpet, so somebody will be back. Hopefully me. I wanted to wait to take pics until the garage flooring was "poured", or whatever it is they do to put down that speckled rubberish flooring that you sometimes see in garages.

That is the place! I did not take pics yet, but I am sure that the stairs from the one garage level, to the next will be getting carpet, so somebody will be back. Hopefully me. I wanted to wait to take pics until the garage flooring was "poured", or whatever it is they do to put down that speckled rubberish flooring that you sometimes see in garages.
    Looking forward to seeing those pics. Still awed by the white carpet. I'm just glad we got the speckled stuff. It passed the test. They came in with muddy paws and you couldn't see the mud (could barely see it anyway and just brushed it off with my hand after it dried). I now love those stupid speckles in it. :D

We don't live a white carpet existence.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Pretty funny.. how you describe the carpet based on price. I bet whatsername would be able to tell me the style, color, and texture, including the padding underneathe, and price wouldnt even be mentioned.
    Think in terms of 'Cost Effectiveness'. It's the 'Engineer' in him !

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    The day started off with great hope of going shooting. However, the weather near the range was terrible so I scrubbed the trip after looking at the radar.

Whats-her-name had to do some business so that left the cat and me alone at home so both of us curled up the sofa and took a late morning nap whiled it rained. So far so good. Life is sweet.

Then whats-her-name came home and wanted to go buy new carpeting for the house. That is when things started to go to hell in a hand basket.

I spent most of the afternoon standing around and answering stupid questions like “is this color OK for the computer room”? How in the hell should I know and no matter what answer I gave she still got what the hell she wanted anyhow. It cost me several thousand dollars and now I have to empty the bookcases and do other hard work before the carpet installers get there. Worst yet is that I had to put up with a sickening salesman who I swear is a regular on “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy”. Life is starting to really suck now.

Worst is that I have to get out all my ammo and stuff from the gun room. At least I am getting OD Green carpeting for the room. Of course now I have to paint it and move an 800 lb gun safe.

Why can’t women just leave things alone?

Did this story end up at Bed Bath and Beyond???

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    That, me lady, is called a "man cave" and should never be touched by female hands. It shouldn't even be gazed upon by the opposite sex.
    The gun room? Whatever. Mr Smith is a wicked good shot, but the guns are MINE. :p
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.