1. #1 "Feminism is Cancer" Acceptable apparel in a college classroom? 
    link

This idiot doesn't like it that she cannot punish anyone who expresses a thought or belief that she considers 'racist or bigoted'.
    Coventina (18,338 posts)

"Feminism is Cancer" Acceptable apparel in a college classroom?

Had a student wear a sweatshirt with that in bold lettering yesterday.

I've since been told by the school's lawyer that it is protected first amendment speech.

I said, "How about "Islam is Cancer"?"

Still protected speech I'm told.

WTF?

I give up.

We can't have nice things, like apparently welcoming classrooms of higher learning.

I'm so effing done with this country.
    Liberals cannot stand that others have freedom of speech. Speech that they might not agree with. Many of them would be much happier with the government regulating EVERYTHING including speech. Of course THEY thing THEY will be the government and so THEY will be deciding what is acceptable and that which is banned or punished with fines or jail.

maxsolomon (17,173 posts)
    1. Yep, protected speech

So is the speech that tells that jackhole to fuck themselves.
    Coventina (18,338 posts)

3. Yeah, but if I say that, I'll be fired. It won't be protected speech for me.

For some reason.

maxsolomon (17,173 posts)

14. You work there

The students must respond to this trolling. This white dude (it's a white dude) is trolling every woman (and feminist men) on that campus, looking for a reaction that he can use to whinge about his oppression on AM radio.

There is a deliberate campaign to disguise provocations as free speech battles.

College Republicans are scum. Its up to every eligible female his age to tell him he'll never get laid. They can make it happen, too.
    Coventina (18,338 posts)

17. Yeah, I work there, so I have no first amendment rights.

It's an effing double standard and I'm sick of it.
    Demsrule86 (26,288 posts)

36. The first amendment means you will not be dragged out of your house by the government for your

speech. It does not say your employer can't fire you for said speech...and if we want free speech we have to tolerate speech we don't like as well..."I hate what you say but would die for your right to say it is my mantra for these situations".
    Coventina (18,338 posts)

46. I'm not going to die for hate speech. YMMV.

Demsrule86 (26,288 posts)

85. hate speech is opinion...either speech is free or it is not...I am not talking about criminal stuff

obviously.
    cynatnite (29,595 posts)

4. Put them on the spot for wearing it...

Do they know what feminism is? It's origin? Why is it a cancer? How has it hurt them? Why does it hurt them?

Look at it as an opportunity to educate and inform not just this student, but the entire classroom.
    Coventina (18,338 posts)

6. I've been told I'm not allowed to confront him about it. n/t
    Coventina (18,338 posts)

29. Yes, I am. I try to have a safe space in my classroom for all people.

Bigotry tends to curtail honest classroom discussion.

I just found out that bigotry is protected.

What a foolish innocent I was, apparently.
    I would bet that she'd have no problem though if it was a woman or a black man wearing a shirt with words or pictures denigrating white men or conservatives.
    Silver1 (205 posts)

55. I don't know which subject you teach

I don't know which subject you teach, but maybe it's time for a lecture and class discussion on Feminist Ethics. You don't need to address him directly, but address the other students who also are being subjected to this. They certainly deserve that, and are probably as upset as you.
    whathehell (22,661 posts)

37. You can bet if he used slurs against racial minorities..

His "rights" would be curtailed, and I wouldn't argue with that, BUT, "hate speech" targets gender & sexual orientation as well, and I'm sick of that NOT being acknowledged.
    Coventina (18,338 posts)

40. I used the example "Black People are Cancer" and was told it would be protected speech as well.

It's OK to be racist, misogynist, bigoted, and not have to answer to authority figures.

That's apparently how the US works now.

And, apparently many DUers are just fine with it.

Personally, I'm not going to defend a racist's right to speech with my life.

I'm just done.

I'm done with bigots.

I'm done with tolerating intolerance.
    Ahhh, yes, tina's quite the arrogant jack*ss who thinks SHE gets to define who and what is racist and intolerant..............and then uses it to justify HER intolerance and racism.

spooky3 (21,947 posts)

57. I think you should investigate further as the school's lawyer MAY be wrong.

If it is a public school, there are limits to their interfering with YOUR right to free speech too.

Student speech that is unduly disruptive or promotes a hostile environment can also be limited.

You can research some of this on the web--and ideally, another attorney could provide guidance.

Here is one example of info you can find on the web:

https://theeducatorsroom.com/teacher...speech-rights/
    The only way the shirt is disruptive is if the other students/teachers act like jack*sses and bullies. If so THEY should be kicked out of class.
    Coventina (18,338 posts)

18. Students might not get hired for their dumb speech when they are out of school.

But they are allowed to harass and bully while they are in school.

This is coming from the lawyer.
    Wearing the shirt is "harassing and bullying" but this JACK*SS thinks she should be able to confront the student and I'm guessing she wouldn't think THAT was harassing and bullying him.
    TNLib (1,778 posts)

21. How about grading his papers on a curve made just for him

But keep it to yourself.

I find losers like this tend to do poorly in life.
    Right. If a student expresses an opinion you don't like fail him/her or give him/her lower grades.

Coventina (18,338 posts)

66. I do all of that. I'm not new at this.

This is the first time I've had offensive language on an article of clothing.

I've always silenced offensive language spoken in my classroom.

I'm angry at not being allowed to address the student about his offensiveness.
    Right. Again the Jack*ss thinks because SHE is offended SHE is ENTITLED to put someone in their place. She obviously relishes being a bully. But she feels ENTITLED, so it's OK.
    ProudLib72 (12,375 posts)

78. This college professor wouldn't stand for it

If it happened in my classroom, I'd report him to our intervention/student conduct team. I would make sure to state that his behavior is directly affecting the atmosphere of the classroom and causing other students to be anxious and fearful.
    Right. "Anxious and fearful" due to a few words on a shirt. IF so those students DO NOT BELONG in college to begin with.

Jack*sses don't like it when they cannot enforce their world view on everyone else and punish everyone who doesn't comply.

Here's a thought. How about ignoring the t shirt and just doing your job?

Coventina (18,338 posts)

"Feminism is Cancer" Acceptable apparel in a college classroom?

Had a student wear a sweatshirt with that in bold lettering yesterday.

I've since been told by the school's lawyer that it is protected first amendment speech.

I said, "How about "Islam is Cancer"?"

Still protected speech I'm told.

WTF?

I give up.

We can't have nice things, like apparently welcoming classrooms of higher learning.

I'm so effing done with this country.
    Promise??

What she and most of the rest of the libs don't get is that much of what they display on their tee-shirts is offensive to others. In short what the OP is saying is that it is Okay for her to offend others while being protected from those who may offend her.

There is no right not to be offended.
    Liberals! The real fascists.

Hey DUmbass...the First Amendment is not there to protect speech you agree with. It's there to protect speech you disagree with.

Grow a thicker skin and deal with it you snowflake.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Liberalism is what the stupid think is smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Hey DUmbass...the First Amendment is not there to protect speech you agree with. It's there to protect speech you disagree with.

Grow a thicker skin and deal with it you snowflake.
    I've decided to no longer call them snowflakes. Now it is simply flakes.
    Liberals! The real fascists.

If the shirt said "White Men Are Cancer", the DUmpster would be celebrating. Since the offence is against their ideology, it can't be protected.

I can't find any name of the university this happened at. Given the moonbat leanings of most colleges, I call :bouncey: and pics or it didn't happen.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

Thereís no way in hell Iíll ever send my kids to public school. This DUmmy proves Iíve been right all along that they are indoctrination centers and thereís many more teachers like her that infest them. No way in hell will I subject my kid to a DUmmy teacher.