1. #1 Start the Voter Suppression Hearings Now and Don't Stop 
    link

babylonsister (158,947 posts)

Start the Voter Suppression Hearings Now and Don't Stop

https://splinternews.com/start-the-v...top-1830280410

Start the Voter Suppression Hearings Now and Don't Stop
    Hamilton Nolan
    Yesterday 11:45am

Democrats have the House. Besides not passing horrific bills for a change, what should they do? They should start holding hearings on voter suppression. And they should keep on holding them.

Republicans win elections in part by systematically and purposely suppressing the votes of people likely to vote Democratic, most often minorities. This is a fact that was amply demonstrated in the 2018 midterms, from Georgia to Kansas. It is also a historic fact that has helped to produce our current age of gerrymandered districts and a concerted right wing effort to roll back legal protections designed to ensure voting rights. (You can follow this thread all the way back to the U.S. Constitutional Convention, if you like.) Political professionals all understand this fact and its strategic use. A fair and functioning democracy is not conducive to Republican electoral success, and therefore Republicans try to see to it that our democracy is neither fair nor functional, as a tactic.

People who are simple-minded enough to think that our electoral system’s distribution of power should reflect the true will of the electorate may be upset to wake up today and see that Democrats lost a net three Senate seats even though they received nine million more votes in Senate races. Abolishing the Senate would be one of the best things we could do to promote democratic values, but until then, these sorts of gaps between the popular vote and who ends up in office—hello, President Trump—serve to focus the public mind on the fact that our system is rigged. The Democrats can help this process along now, and do something for justice while they’re at it.

We need campaign finance reform, and we need to fix gerrymandering. But the sort of bald, outright, muscular voter suppression that Republicans are now engaged in cries for an even more immediate response. It is one thing for us to have a system designed to be undemocratic, necessitating a structural change; it is another thing for Republicans to simply abuse their power to bully and harass vulnerable people away from the polls. Until the Democrats can somehow get enough power to make the structural changes, they need to stand up against the bullying and racism and xenophobia that are now accepted as normal parts of electioneering.

The House can hold hearings on voter suppression. They can start immediately. They can subpoena every fucking Republican secretary of state who can reasonably be judged to have assisted in the suppression of minority voters. They can subpoena law enforcement officials. They can subpoena campaign staffers. They can subpoena poll workers. They can call in all types of political science professors and statisticians and sociologists to explain in detail what is happening. They can invite Michelle Alexander to read the entirety of The New Jim Crow into the Congressional record. They can draw attention. They can make noise. They should, and they must. The more you let the overt oppression slide, the more it will be seen as the standard playbook for the next election.

Donald Trump is an idiot savant who understands one single thing about politics: the theater. He does not know about laws. He does not know the Constitution. He does not know ethics, or conservative principles, or budgets. He knows how to put on a show. The fact that he is now the fucking president demonstrates how important a show is in politics. Democrats can also put on a show—one that has the added benefit of being righteous, and using true facts. Subpoena Brian Kemp and his entire campaign staff and drag them before Congress and harangue them for being racists and if they don’t come, harangue an empty fucking chair with a Brian Kemp name tag in front of it, live on CNN. Besides making a very salient point, do you know who might appreciate such a spectacle? The people whose votes are being suppressed.

What Republicans are doing to our democracy is outrageous. It requires the production of outrage. Democrats can produce it. Time to start.

Senators represent their STATE. Each STATE gets 2 - no matter how many people are in the state. In fact the number of people in your state is IRRELEVANT to the senate. It's that way for a reason. How stupid does one have to be not to know this or to think that because you don't like it that it should be changed?

Jack*sses think that California and New York have the say for the rest of the country.

Jack*sses oppose every measure that prevents them from cheating and voting twice by voting for dead people and those who don't vote, and for non citizens to vote. They call that "voter suppression".

Go for it, Ds! Show the country exactly how arrogant and petulant you are when you don't get your way!
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Democrats lost a net three Senate seats even though they received nine million more votes in Senate races.
    Watch out for this new tactic guys....the "Senate popular vote" and the "House popular vote". They are trying to infer, especially to the less informed, that these elections are like the presidential election.... nation-wide. They are not they are local=House and state=Senate. They are also trying to confuse people into thinking the Senate does not have equal representation of more populist states when in fact they do.... 2 Senators per state. It's the House that represents the people (or is supposed to).
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Excuse me, I would like to ask a question, Is there any type of evidence that there were suppressed voters? because if there were, regardless of side, those assholes need to be put under the jail .

It won’t work if anybody is disenfranchise. we have to win hearts and minds. and how do you do that when their minds are pretty much shot?
    Onward Thru the Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo55 View Post
    Excuse me, I would like to ask a question, Is there any type of evidence that there were suppressed voters? because if there were, regardless of side, those assholes need to be put under the jail .
    The only proven voter suppression I know of is when ballots from service people serving overseas aren't counted.

What Republicans are doing to our democracy is outrageous. It requires the production of outrage. Democrats can produce it. Time to start.
    When the hell did you people stop being outraged?
    The American Left: Where everything is politics and politics is everything.

With all their talk about "voter suppression", im shocked that none of the idiots over at the plantation picked up on the Voter ID law that passed here in NC. I think Arkansas or maybe Iowa did as well.

Anyhow, the topic about "Popular Vote" for any and every election is going to be their new siren call. I first heard about that, this afternoon while listening to Rush. Something about one of the Muppets on "The View" was arguing about the popular vote for Senate.

They aint going to drop this anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by NCFarmer View Post

Anyhow, the topic about "Popular Vote" for any and every election is going to be their new siren call. I first heard about that, this afternoon while listening to Rush. Something about one of the Muppets on "The View" was arguing about the popular vote for Senate.
    They started that meme hours before election day.... I think it was some dillweed at VOX.... We shall see how many on the Left won't even bother to think that through.....
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

I just posted this on a different Cave thread:

Joe Biden Predicts Trump Will ‘Challenge The Legitimacy Of The Vote’ If Democrats Win Tuesday

Former Vice President Joe Biden told reporters after he voted on Tuesday he would be “dumbfounded” if Democrats don’t win control of the House of Representatives after Tuesday’s midterm elections.
    While he worries about what he’d feel if that doesn’t happen, Biden added he also thinks President Donald Trump will be worse off than him if Republicans lose control, claiming that Trump won’t even accept the results as real if Democrats come out victorious.

“I guarantee he’ll challenge the legitimacy of the vote,” Biden said on Tuesday, per reporting from The Hill.
    Biden is almost weapons-grade stupid and uninformed.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

“I guarantee he’ll challenge the legitimacy of the vote,” Biden said on Tuesday, per reporting from The Hill.
    So Biden knew that there would be cheating in Florida et.al. and wanted to get this in first?