Thread: Teixeira takes Yanks' 8-year deal

1. #1 Teixeira takes Yanks' 8-year deal 
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Apparently the Yankees are just going to sign every free agent this off-season.

The New York Yankees swooped in Tuesday and nabbed prized free agent Mark Teixeira, reaching agreement with the first baseman on an eight-year contract worth $180 million, two sources involved in the negotiations tell ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

The Yankees had made an offer to Teixeira weeks ago, but then withdrew it. Their intention all along was to make a deal if it fell within parameters acceptable to the organization. They made their formal offer Tuesday.

The contract will pay Teixeira an average of $22.5 million per season.

The Yankees had $88.5 million coming off the books that, even with the Teixeira contract, they expect their payroll to fall below $200 million. New York has committed $423.5 million in salary in the last month, with $161 million going to left-handed pitcher CC Sabathia ($23 million over seven years) and $82.5 million on right-hander A.J. Burnett ($185 million over five).

Agreeing to a deal with Teixeira virtually eliminates any chance that free-agent outfielder Manny Ramirez has a landing place with the Yankees. New York does have money left to add another starting pitcher, most likely veteran left-hander Andy Pettitte at $10 million if he agrees to terms soon.

Teixeira's salary gives the Yankees, who are preparing to move into their pricey new ballpark in 2009, the four highest-paid players in Major League Baseball, including third baseman Alex Rodriguez, shortstop Derek Jeter and Sabathia.
    LINK

I'm a Yank's fan.

I am not happy with this decision. It's not offensive stars with egos they need. It's hungry young players from their awesome farm system they keep trading away.

I'm sick of stars that do nothing.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Yankees are trying to buy their way in again huh.

All the more reason I hope like hell they don't even make the playoffs again next year. It would be so sweet.

Let's go Boston and Tampa Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Yankees are trying to buy their way in again huh.

All the more reason I hope like hell they don't even make the playoffs again next year. It would be so sweet.

Let's go Boston and Tampa Bay.
    Screw the smelly socks, but damn the Yankees too. Go Rays, next year is it!!!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Screw the smelly socks, but damn the Yankees too. Go Rays, next year is it!!!
    Believe me, the sox can suck balls too but this Yankees shit gets on my nerves. Aholes.

By the way, I thought you were a Yankees fan? You finally flip?

And don't get your hopes up. Phils are repeatin'.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Believe me, the sox can suck balls too but this Yankees shit gets on my nerves. Aholes.

By the way, I thought you were a Yankees fan? You finally flip?

And don't get your hopes up. Phils are repeatin'.
    I'll die a Yankee fan, I went to my first game when I was 3 yrs old!!!
    I used to go to Whitey Fords indoor batting cages, Shook his and Mickey Mantles hand the day they opened!

BUT, 22 yrs in FL. I am a Bucs and Lightening and Rays fan now, go Rays!!!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    I'll die a Yankee fan, I went to my first game when I was 3 yrs old!!!
    I used to go to Whitey Fords indoor batting cages, Shook his and Mickey Mantles hand the day they opened!

BUT, 22 yrs in FL. I am a Bucs and Lightening and Rays fan now, go Rays!!!
    I live in north Georgia and my folks used to have a restaurant. There was this old guy who used to eat with us a lot. I didn't know his name but he was a regular. I used to talk to him about stuff when he came in and ate with us.

One day as I was ringing him out, I noticed his ring. I asked him, Is that a World Series ring? He laughed and said it was. His name was Johnny Mize.

Neat old guy.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!