Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Are you doing what you love? 
    I was watching something on t.v. last night (okay...it was Paula Dean, but still) and the topic came up about finding a job doing something that you are passionate about. I realized that, much as there are times that I hate my job and I wish I had enough money in the bank to just stop doing it, I really never could. I have loved the law since I was about 10 years old. I still get a "high" out of being in court. I still really like what I do. Perhaps not every moment of every day. But there are more good days than bad. And I'm still enjoy it, even when it's not pay day (but that's fun too!).

How about you? Are you doing what you really want to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I was watching something on t.v. last night (okay...it was Paula Dean, but still) and the topic came up about finding a job doing something that you are passionate about. I realized that, much as there are times that I hate my job and I wish I had enough money in the bank to just stop doing it, I really never could. I have loved the law since I was about 10 years old. I still get a "high" out of being in court. I still really like what I do. Perhaps not every moment of every day. But there are more good days than bad. And I'm still enjoy it, even when it's not pay day (but that's fun too!).

How about you? Are you doing what you really want to do?
    I love what I do for a living. I became a computer programmer and systems analyst without the benfit of college or traditional schooling. I taught myself how to program and I've be earning a living at it for the last 20 years. I guess I'm one of those people who had an aptitude for understanding and writing computer code. The Lord has blessed me with several gifts but this has been the best. I never dislike going to work for work's sake and I generally don't mind working late. Some one once said that if you find a job you like you'll never have to work a day in your life. I believe that is a very true statement.
    Last edited by FlaGator; 12-23-2008 at 10:29 PM.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

True! I started as a cabinet makers apprentice, then became a cabinet maker, now I own my own shop and I can't fathom doing anything different!

Funny part is I have only done 2 things in my life for work. When I was 14, I worked at a gas station and learned to be a mechanic ( back then cars had motors) But when I was 17 and making a whopping 4 bucs an hour fixin cars a buddy asked me to help him build a set of cabinets on the side. I was hooked and here I am 35 yrs later happy as a clam!!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Good question.

Yes and no would be my answer. When I was 16 I quit school and went to work, out of economic necessity due to the circumstances of my family. About 10 years later, I started going to night classes at a small Baptist college in the mountains where I live. Through a combination of night and day school, and thanks to the support of my sweet wife, I was able to graduate from the University of North Florida with a Ba degree in 1991 (I was 31.). I wanted to do graduate studies but that was interrupted when I Had to leave school when my father became disabled. I haven't been able to get back to my studies, and don't know if I ever will.

The thing is, getting a masters, and eventually a doctorate was my goal and my dream. I don't honestly know if I'll ever get ti go back and finish what I started.

So, the answer to your question is no. The work I am doing is only minimally rewarding in a personal sense. It pays the bills but that is about it. I am also having significant enough health problems that I can't afford to lose my health insurance to go back and resume my studies.

The answer to your question is also, yes. I study on my own. I write. I travel. Amongst my many needs and obligations, I enjoy my life. Actually, I am blessed to have a good family, a comfortable home, a good job, and lots of interests to occupy my time. And many cats and dogs to boot.

I am wealthy beyond all measure, compared to so many in the world. There have been disappointments, such is the stuff of life, but Life is Good. I am thankful for what i have. And yes, I love what I do.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    True! I started as a cabinet makers apprentice, then became a cabinet maker, now I own my own shop and I can't fathom doing anything different!

Funny part is I have only done 2 things in my life for work. When I was 14, I worked at a gas station and learned to be a mechanic ( back then cars had motors) But when I was 17 and making a whopping 4 bucs an hour fixin cars a buddy asked me to help him build a set of cabinets on the side. I was hooked and here I am 35 yrs later happy as a clam!!
    Have you ever built stand alone China cabnetry with ornate carvings and custom trim out of exotic woods built up from blanks of hardwood ,Esentially furnature as opposed to cabinets ?
    Last edited by megimoo; 12-23-2008 at 10:46 PM.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I love what I do for a living. I became a computer programmer and systems analyst without the benfit of college or traditional schooling. I taught myself how to program and I've be earning a living at it for the last 20 years. I guess I'm one of those people who had an aptitude for understanding and writing computer code. The Lord has blessed me with several gifts but this has been the best. I never dislike going to work for work's sake and I generally don't mind working late. Some one once said that if you find a job you like you'll never have to work a day in your life. I believe that is a very true statement.
    What languages are you proficient in or what do you write in most often.I have much the same background learning programming as an expedient to hardware design.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Have you ever built stand alone China cabnitry with ornate carvings and custom trim out of exotic woods built up from blanks of hardwood ,Esentially furnature as opposed to cabinets ?
    Actually, no. I am in it for the money! Production is what counts, the more the moneyier. (Linda #s is that a word?)

We do some quality work but nothing that resembles craftmanship of old. The best stuff I do for myself!

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Actually, no. I am in it for the money! Production is what counts, the more the moneyier. (Linda #s is that a word?)

We do some quality work but nothing that resembles craftmanship of old. The best stuff I do for myself!
    I was thinking how jealous of your wife I was when I read what you do. I'll be she has some killer cabinetry in your home!

I would say Yes and No. I work in an area that has a direct and sometimes dramatic impact on human, animal, and plant life in my region. I have seen pollution reduction levels that are frankly astonishing (and never reported in the media). These reductions are a direct result of my group's work on modeling and monitoring over time. We do the science and make the cases that force politicians to support sensible efforts to curb or monitor vehicle emissions, open burning, wildfires, and point source contributors. That's pretty amazing and satisfying.

At the same time, there was never a time when I was 10 years old and said to myself that I wanted to grow up and do QA on continuous ozone monitors or pitch independent lab costs on particulate samples.

I am not my career. I basically got into chemistry in order to blow things up or poison things. Neither option is allowed in my workplace. :(

:D

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I was thinking how jealous of your wife I was when I read what you do. I'll be she has some killer cabinetry in your home!
    Custom made TV stand, one of a kind! My design. The room wasn't finished yet, its neater now.:o

This is better.

Last edited by patriot45; 12-23-2008 at 11:53 PM.