Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    But I'm moving up quickly in rank, (E-5 looking at E-6 by my 7 year mark) so gradually I'll put up with less and less bs, so that's always good! :D
    You slacker! I made E-5 in less than three years and E-6 in 5 1/2. :D

I am switching careers in the coming year. On jan. 12 I start a nursing program here at a local nursing home. Both my daughters from my first marriage are RNs. My oldest one had a headstart after her time in the Army as a medic. Her sister just graduated last May. They are both working in the same hospital but Jazz, the veteran is a trauma nurse. She says that over half the members of her team are former Military medics or doctors.

Dad is going to join them.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post

I am switching careers in the coming year. On jan. 12 I start a nursing program here at a local nursing home. Both my daughters from my first marriage are RNs. My oldest one had a headstart after her time in the Army as a medic. Her sister just graduated last May. They are both working in the same hospital but Jazz, the veteran is a trauma nurse. She says that over half the members of her team are former Military medics or doctors.

Cool!

Nice. :D

I nearly made E-6 this year which would've put me at Staff Sergeant in 6 years but I just missed it. It's pretty quick to make Staff in 6-7 years in the Marine Corps, I'm told. It's all an on-ramp to my officer career, hopefully! I plan to put in my Warrant Officer package next year.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

An Adversary of Linda #'s

I made E6 in 3 1/2 !

That's just GR8.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    I made E6 in 3 1/2 !
    DAMN! I went through the E-6 board at 4 but did not hit the cutoff until 5 1/2.

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    My job beats the hell out of the rest of yours :D
    I can hold the hands of a woman who is 104 years old, the hands that rocked the babies that went off and fought in the wars to keep this country free. Hands that built the cities and roads and houses across this country. I can hear the memories of times long gone and lost to the dust of time except when passed on to me! I can hear laughter and see smiles simply by dressing up like Richard Simmons and doing aerobics and know I have brightened the days of not only the elders to whom we owe so much but the ones who have devoted their lives to caring for our elders.
    I can give a lecture and influence the people who in turn influence others that directly affects the day to day lives of others.
    I am given the Honor of the responsibility of the life, well being and daily care of someone's most precious gift, their parents, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, loved ones. I am given the trust of the family that I will love and care for their loves ones as surely as if they are my own.
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I was watching something on t.v. last night (okay...it was Paula Dean, but still) and the topic came up about finding a job doing something that you are passionate about. I realized that, much as there are times that I hate my job and I wish I had enough money in the bank to just stop doing it, I really never could. I have loved the law since I was about 10 years old. I still get a "high" out of being in court. I still really like what I do. Perhaps not every moment of every day. But there are more good days than bad. And I'm still enjoy it, even when it's not pay day (but that's fun too!).

How about you? Are you doing what you really want to do?
    I have just got to answer this one!!!

I have had 4 careers but no jobs.

My first career was as a carpenter helping to build houses and I learned all kinds of stuff that I used later on. The only times it was a 'job' was when the temperature got over 100 or less than 10 since it was an outside job. 2 years

My second career was in intelligence in the USAF. A career that I still miss to this day 40 some years later. The only bad part of that career was the remote deployments. 7 years

My third career was a computer technician back in the old time days. I pretty much sucked at that career. I was good with the electronic equipment but not so good with the mechanical. 3 years

My fourth career was where my talent seemed to lie. It was in computer systems support and software development. 35 years.

I am now on my fifth career and it is a job. Retirement is boring as hell. I would almost, but not quite, work for free.

BSR
    No. I am not doing what I love, but I make a great salary so it evens out. I realize money isn't everything, but it's close.

I like what I do as a network administrator in civilian life. I loved it when I was deployed to Kuwait(Reservist) as a network admin.

I want to either go back to active duty in this area (Networks, not SW Asia) or get a job with Mythbusters.

I would love doing either.

:D