1. #1 Silver may be the most undervalued asset on the planet 
    Everyone loved it at $45/per Troy ounce. Now they hate it at $14 and change. It costs more to get it out of the ground than the spot price. Will silver become free at some point? I doubt it while JP Morgan aquires tonnage of physical ounces.

Donít get me wrong, I hate silver. Iím upside down on over 2,000 ounces of physical. Iím getting my ass handed to me on silver and platinum. Iím good on gold. I could sell all of it today for a nice gain in paper money. Itís just a savings account with no third party interest. Everything can blow up and I still have it.

The gold to silver ratio is at a historic high. It takes more ounces of silver to equal one ounce of gold than it has in the last 25 years. This can only mean two things... Either gold is way overvalued, or silver is dirt cheap.

Well, it is very low in relation to gold, at least in historic terms. Metals don't make sense to me as an investment, though, as they seem to be absolutely stagnant for very, very long periods, with a boom every 10 or twenty years, after which they may end up at nothing more than the old price. Often even the metal bugs fail to make money on the swing because they hold on too long, expecting or hoping the high will go higher yet when the tide has already taken a hard turn down. They're some protection from a currency crash I suppose, but the US hasn't really had that problem in generations because of the way our monetary policy works (Of course it's not infallible). I don't see it as having any value in a total collapse situation, after all, you can't eat it, shoot it, screw it, or grow it into food, you can only trade it with someone who both values it and has no immediate need of their own excess resources, a circumstance which I personally find extremely unlikely.

When Polaroid and Kodak went out of business, silver waved bye-bye.

It's still good for black & white photographs... using halide photographic-paper.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    Well, it is very low in relation to gold, at least in historic terms. Metals don't make sense to me as an investment, though, as they seem to be absolutely stagnant for very, very long periods, with a boom every 10 or twenty years, after which they may end up at nothing more than the old price. Often even the metal bugs fail to make money on the swing because they hold on too long, expecting or hoping the high will go higher yet when the tide has already taken a hard turn down. They're some protection from a currency crash I suppose, but the US hasn't really had that problem in generations because of the way our monetary policy works (Of course it's not infallible). I don't see it as having any value in a total collapse situation, after all, you can't eat it, shoot it, screw it, or grow it into food, you can only trade it with someone who both values it and has no immediate need of their own excess resources, a circumstance which I personally find extremely unlikely.
    I pretty much agree with everything you said. If precious metals go parabolic, that just means the US dollar swirled down the shitter. Itís not an evironment that any of us want to live in. We never paid for 2008 though. We can blame Clinton, Bush, Obama or whoever. It doesnít really matter. The Great Recession, the great collapse of 2008 was papered over with a hot check for $11 trillion just on the surface.

As much as I hate banksters and crooked politicians, looking back on it, I donít know what else they could have done. This debt can never be repaid.

metals as an investment are a loser, you pay a premium to buy and a commission to sell that usually negated any gain you may have made. And as Tanker said if things get so bad metals will be totally useless.
    I love the sound of liberal heads exploding in the morning!!

Toxically masculine and proud of it!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens.

As much as I hate silver, itís cheaper than dirt. Iíve got $20,000 in a savings account paying me $3.14 a month. Yippee! Iím ready for some excitement. I just canít see the (manipulated) price going any lower than this. 10 ounce bars are my favorite, and pre 1965 half dollars.

I donít care anymore. Iíll probably just die on the work floor anyway.

Palladium is up almost $40 today, and platinum is up almost $30. Gold and silver slightly down. I donít know whatís going on gang, but keep some cash on hand. This smells like 2008.

Palladium is now ~$100 more than gold. This is an all time high in world history for palladium. Itís used in catalytic converters and Iron Man needs it too. Lol! Platinum is languishing at just under $800 and should be the most rare and expensive precious metal in the family of four. Silver is still dirt cheap at $15 and change. Gold is still trying to breach $1300.

The markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent. This is weird, and things are way outside of the norm right now.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I've noticed that also...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Gold is up $43.50 in a single trading day. I wonder why? Itís just a barbaric relic.