Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 High-scoring Asian students rejected at Harvard based on "likability" 
    Power CUer
    Harvard is being sued because Asian students with high/perfect SATs, straight A's, stellar recommendations from their teachers and counselors, and tons of extracurricular activities are being REJECTED for less qualified students. A recent lawsuit has brought to light the reason for the rejection: college admissions types score Asian students lower on "personality", "likability", and other personal impressions that SCREAM bias.

Why Harvard Needs Better Defense Lawyers
    https://www.mindingthecampus.org/201...fense-lawyers/
    By now, it is clear to all observers that the most damaging material that Harvard has been forced to release in the lawsuit filed by Students For Fair Admissions is powerful evidence that Asian applicants, who score higher than applicants from other racial and ethnic groups on grades, test scores, and extracurricular activities, are graded lower on personal qualities such as “likability, courage, kindness, and being ‘widely respected.’”

The plaintiff’s Memorandum, in support of its motion to dismiss, summarized this evidence:

Asian-American applicants are significantly stronger than all other racial groups in academic performance. They also perform very well in non-academic categories and have higher extracurricular scores than any other racial group. Asian-American applicants (unsurprisingly, therefore) receive higher overall scores from alumni interviewers than all other racial groups. And they receive strong scores from teachers and guidance counselors’ scores that are nearly identical to white applicants (and higher than African-American and Hispanic applicants).

Yet Harvard’s admissions officials assign Asian Americans the lowest score of any racial group on the personal rating — a “subjective” assessment of such traits as whether the student has a “positive personality” and “others like to be around him or her,” has “character traits” such as “likability … helpfulness, courage, [and] kindness,” is an “attractive person to be with,” is “widely respected,” is a “good person,” and has good “human qualities.”

Peter Arcidiacono, the plaintiff’s expert, “found nothing in the data Harvard produced that could account for these low ratings for Asian-Americans.”

What makes this evidence especially damning is that the low personal ratings are purely subjective and assigned only by Harvard admissions officials. “Alumni interviewers give Asian-Americans personal ratings comparable to those of whites,” The New York Times reported in a long article. “But the admissions office gives them the worst scores of any racial group, often without even meeting them...

The most damning is the revelation that Harvard is assessing those low personal scores w/o even meeting the Asian students.

Harvard's judgement leaves something to be desired. I read that they admitted that Hogg activist kid from Florida. He'll cause them a lot of trouble over the years. Perhaps they deserve it.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

They see themselves as enlightened enough to make judgements. Harvard needs to incorporate classes on Irony and "Introduction to Reality".

I don't see what the issue is with likability. Most Asians are very likable. Heck, I was married to an Asian for 11 years. Some can be shy but that doesn't have anything to do with likability.
    Liberals! The real fascists.

They are using their position to discriminate. No different than the reddest of red necks. There is no difference. Intellectual dishonesty at it's finest.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd-try View Post
    They are using their position to discriminate. No different than the reddest of red necks. There is no difference. Intellectual dishonesty at it's finest.
    Hang on there! Leave me and mine out of this. Bad mouthing us rednecks is just as discriminatory as anything else you can think of. We come in many colors but do confine ourselves to the gender we were born with.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd-try View Post
    Seriously? You are going to post something insulting rednecks in this thread?
    "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things" ~ Col 3:2

"Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away.." ~ 2 Cor. 5:17

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    The most damning is the revelation that Harvard is assessing those low personal scores w/o even meeting the Asian students.

Harvard's judgement leaves something to be desired. I read that they admitted that Hogg activist kid from Florida. He'll cause them a lot of trouble over the years. Perhaps they deserve it.
    Here ya go ... the headline says almost all that needs to be said: Parkland shooting survivor David Hogg is going to Harvard after getting a reported 1270 on the SAT it shows test scores aren't everything

Somewhere in the middle of all of this, TMZ reported that Hogg had a 4.2 GPA and got a 1270 out of 1600 on the SAT. Now that he's going to Harvard, Hogg's SAT score has become a flashpoint for his critics. It's well below the usual score for the Ivy League school the average score for admitted students is 1520, according to Prep Scholar.
    An obvious political admission. I doubt he has the smarts, discipline, or focus to last more than two years. Somewhere out there is a student with the family name of Smith or Garcia or Wong or Nakamura or Patel who should have gotten that spot and who would have thrived.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Quote Originally Posted by FaithHopeLove View Post
    Seriously? You are going to post something insulting rednecks in this thread?
    ...as in how the term red neck has come to be defined. Arriving at conclusions that are always convenient to their existing positions, redefining and/or cherry-picking the facts as required.

And that mindset is most represented in the liberal educated world. Maybe it should be a different term but, if yours is the only opinion worth considering you're a classic redneck. Not the celebrated version.

Well I wish them success.