Thread: Sea Shepherd eco- terrorists at it again

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Whales are amusing and cleverer than me

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Yes they are, but the Sea Shepperds aren't the authority who should be enforcing the laws. They are eco-terrorists who should be arrested by whatever country they moor their ship in and prosecuted as terrorists.
    There is a moratorium for Commercial whaling. The IWC still allows whaling for research purposes which is exactly what the Japanese are conducting it under. So they are not breaking any laws. Furthermore, the moratorium was set forth by the IWC, which is an organization that has no legal powers to enforce their regulations. It's member nations are under no true obligation to adhere to the moratorium, and are free to leave and ignore that moratorium anytime that they wish.

The fact that the Japanese limit themselves to what they do, when they have no true legal obligations to seems to have escaped some people here.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    There is a moratorium for Commercial whaling. The IWC still allows whaling for research purposes which is exactly what the Japanese are conducting it under. So they are not breaking any laws. Furthermore, the moratorium was set forth by the IWC, which is an organization that has no legal powers to enforce their regulations. It's member nations are under no true obligation to adhere to the moratorium, and are free to leave and ignore that moratorium anytime that they wish.

The fact that the Japanese limit themselves to what they do, when they have no true legal obligations to seems to have escaped some people here.
    How much research can you do on a whale carcass?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

How much research can you do on a whale carcass?
    I'm not a marine biologist. Are you? I don't think either of us could say. I do know that when I kill a deer that the DNR would like the carcass to do research on it, especially for helping to measure deer populations and the like. I don't understand how they do it, but they do.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I'm not a marine biologist. Are you? I don't think either of us could say. I do know that when I kill a deer that the DNR would like the carcass to do research on it, especially for helping to measure deer populations and the like. I don't understand how they do it, but they do.
    I think you misunderstand my position. If Japan is doing something illegal then it is up to the other signators of the Whaling ban treaty to stop them, not the Sea Shepperds. If they are operating within the law then leave them be. Either way the Sea Shepperds have no business being involved here and are eco-terrorists. Personally I'm against whaling but I'm more in favor of upholding the law.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I think you misunderstand my position. If Japan is doing something illegal then it is up to the other signators of the Whaling ban treaty to stop them, not the Sea Shepperds. If they are operating within the law then leave them be. Either way the Sea Shepperds have no business being involved here and are eco-terrorists. Personally I'm against whaling but I'm more in favor of upholding the law.
    Thats just it though. There are no laws. The IWC is like your neighborhood watch. They can tell you that you need to be indoors after 10pm, but they can't arrest you if they see you outside at 11pm. They have no legal binding powers.

Being a part of the IWC is completely voluntary, and adhering to the moratorium is also voluntary. There are no international laws concerning whaling. So the Japanese cannot be breaking any laws.

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society is down in the Southern Ocean because governments refuse to uphold the international conservation regulations that they are signatory to. They act as citizens when our governments fail to uphold their responsibilities.

Over two decades of diplomacy to end illegal Japanese whaling has failed. Diplomacy is a tool that the Japanese government uses to buy time while they kill whales. They have not conceded an inch, they have not lowered their quotas by a single whale and they continue to spit in the face of citizens around the world who want to see the whales protected, especially in an internationally established whale sanctuary.

You don't kill whales in a whale sanctuary. You don't kill whales to sell their meat when there is an international moratorium on commercial whaling and you don't debase science by prostituting the name for profits.

The Japanese are selling whales that they DON'T own.

BTW- The Sea Shepherdís Captain flies all over the world and into and out of the US. You'd think such a well renowned "terrorist" would make the no fly list....unless of course he's not.

That's my 2 cents.
    Last edited by M21; 12-29-2008 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Add
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

Resident Grump
    You don't kill whales in a whale sanctuary. You don't kill whales to sell their meat when there is an international moratorium on commercial whaling and you don't debase science by prostituting the name for profits.

The Japanese are selling whales that they DON'T own.
    Japan is not a signatory, hence not bound by any sanctuary laws or restrictions. The US is not a signatory to the ICC, hence not bound by its laws either.

Go kiss a tree.

Oh btw M21...tell me, do you also support ELF and other environazi organisations?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Japan is not a signatory, hence not bound by any sanctuary laws or restrictions. The US is not a signatory to the ICC, hence not bound by its laws either.

Go kiss a tree.

Oh btw M21...tell me, do you also support ELF and other environazi organisations?
    I think you can stop asking the question. He's already stated that he supports these enviro-terrorists, of course he's going to support those.