Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    My snowflake niece came home from Portland for Christmas after completing her first semester in college there. Since she's been home she's convinced her parents to get a recycling bin and got my mom to buy everyone reusable straws

I just have to say, I'm not a snowflake, but I think recycling is a logical idea.
    "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things" ~ Col 3:2

"Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away.." ~ 2 Cor. 5:17

Quote Originally Posted by FaithHopeLove View Post
    I just have to say, I'm not a snowflake, but I think recycling is a logical idea.
    I'm a proud straight white Trump supporting deplorable male and I think recycling is a logical idea. When the left says that people of my ilk want to destroy the planet and are all for dirty air and water they never stop to consider that I have to live here and drink the water and breathe the air as well. Would I want my family to live in a nasty dirty environment?

What I am against is the incremental reduction of our rights and freedoms by pin head politicians who think they know best and want to run every aspect of my life. These same politicians who push laws to restrict law abiding people like me from using plastic bags or straws, and now receipts think it is a marvelous idea to support needle exchange programs which just litter public areas with dirty and deadly needles.

Go after the offenders but leave us law abiding people alone.

One other thing about this receipt law where they are pushing for electronic receipts, that would require you to give the merchant your email address or phone number so they can transmit the receipt to you which would then increase the amount of electronic pollution you would receive on your device as your contact information would be undoubtedly sold to other companies for marketing purposes. No thank you!
    "People who think they know it all, are annoying to those of us who really do".... Pyro Bob

"Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

"Enemy. The word you are looking for is enemy. When the ideals of someone are antithetical to yours, you can say the word "enemy". DUmmy ret5hd Fri Aug 24, 2018, 05:10 PM

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Old n Grumpy View Post
    It would be racist, inhumane and cruel to put a financial burden on litters who most likely are homeless, ( they don'r understand the trash can concept) or poor illegals or minorities.
    Was this sarcasm?

Power CUer
    Recycling, per se, is not a bad idea. I remember as a kid, we would buy Coca Cola in a case of 8oz glass bottles from the gas station (before mini-marts). We would drink the soda and return the bottles for a deposit. Everyone did this in my neighborhood. You got your deposit back when you brought the bottles back, or they kept your deposit if you got another case. (My parents got cases of Coke for parties.)

When I was a little older, they sold glass bottles of soda in the supermarket. These bottles were marked "No Deposit, No Return" because you didn't have to bring them back. Most people did throw them out, although I remember crafty types making vases or decorations out of the bottles. Also, people didn't drink quite as much soda then as we do now.

When I was a teenager, there was plastic and the gallon bottles. They were thrown out, although the larger bottles could be used for crafts--planters for kids, for example.

Finally, there was the CRV deposit on these plastic bottles with, usually, NO place to conveniently return them, so you lost the deposit. And many ended up in the trash.

Then there were the homeless. In San Diego, the homeless used to raid through recycle bins to get these bottles and return them to the recycling center for cash so they could (most likely) buy drugs. (There's a big meth problem here.) They did this for years until, just recently, San Diego closed down the local recycling centers. They got sick of having the homeless drop things off, I think. (At least according to Carl DiMaio on KOGO.) Now you can't even return plastic bottles even if you want to. No place to go.

So now, I pay my CRV on every bottle of soda (though not on shampoo or lotion, go figure) and have no chance of getting it back. All the plastic bottles go into a locked bin at my apartment building--it is high enough and locked so that the homeless (or others) can't get in and take the recyclables. Why is that? Because a private company does the recycling. (The public trash containers are much less protected and the homeless tear apart the plastic bags and rummage through them, leaving open garbage in the bin.)

So, in my polite opinion, recycling is a scam. I am subsidizing a private company to make money on recycled materials without getting my CRV back or the cost of the plastic that is factored into my product cost.

I live in a city that recycles, but that provided us with the bins for free. My sister's city charges for the bins.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    One of the things about living in Chicago that was amazingly inexpensive as a homeowner was our water/sanitation bill. It was approximately $30/month, no matter how much you used. We had a tiny yard, but we could leave the sprinkler on for hours without a worry.

And, all recycling went into blue bags. Newspaper, cans & glass. Just toss it into the same bin as regular garbage and the sanitation folks separated them.

Pretty much everything else was and is taxed bigly.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post

So, in my polite opinion, recycling is a scam. I am subsidizing a private company to make money on recycled materials without getting my CRV back or the cost of the plastic that is factored into my product cost.
    I'm not terribly concerned with CRVs, except my Honda...

All joking aside, I would recycle to create less in the landfill period. We need to be responsible with our garbage.
    "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things" ~ Col 3:2

"Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away.." ~ 2 Cor. 5:17

I’ve recycled for as for as long as I can remember. Back in the 40’s and 50’s if not one way, we did it another. No soft drinks came without a bottle deposit and we kids stripped the bar ditches of those regularly for pocket change. Newspapers and the brown paper grocery bags went into the mulch pile or were used as weed stop in building a new garden or flower bed. We had an old man down the street who took all of our cans and crafted toys and sculptures and sold them. We never tossed wood scraps but used them for fires (that was before every board you bought was impregnated with poison.)

Nowadays I put my trash can on one side of the driveway and the recyclables on the other and my trash people pick them up.

I can choose to not pay for that service and deliver those myself to our area recycle center for no charge. It’s a 14 mile drive to the other side of town. They also do ecycling (computers and such) but charge for that. After taking apart two computers and two printers for recycling and salvage, I’ve farmed that out to the grandson in exchange for salvaging parts for his robot building, circuit creations etc.

I’m currently subscribe to the chronicle online but they insists on delivering the Sunday and Wednesday to my driveway as those are the big ad days. I’m hoarding them to build two new lasagna gardens this spring.

The wife and I carry our own bags to the grocery and most other shopping.

On top of all else, the Chinese got tired of the US selling them trash disguised as recycling materials and now are refusing to buy any more until we clean up our act.

Bottom line, it’s the sensible thing to do but most assuredly can go far beyond reasonable especially when the high muckety-mucks start ruling on how everybody has to do it their way.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Was this sarcasm?

Obviously, When I see how some places have turned into dumps from liberal / progressive thinking it makes my blood boil.
    I love the sound of liberal heads exploding in the morning!!

Toxically masculine and proud of it!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by Old n Grumpy View Post
    Obviously, When I see how some places have turned into dumps from liberal / progressive thinking it makes my blood boil.
    Every shithole city in the United States has been run by leftist Democrats for as long as anyone can remember.