1. #1 When The Grand kids Asked For A Dog 
    I have always encouraged the grand kids to be philosophical when dealing with life & life's challenges. When they asked for dog, I was not in favor of the idea; but to be fair, I made them a proposition. If they can come up with an irrefutable reason we should get a dog, I will allow it. It had to be concrete, nothing cosmic, like, we'll be sad without a dog. Had to be something I could physically visualize. I tell them to discuss it and present their case. They go into the next room & sit down. 20 minutes later I hear giggling. They head back. The little one is the ambassador. He approaches & speaks. We need a dog because there is no dog poop in the yard. You asked for something irrefutable. A clever child will immediately grasp the fundamental nature of knowledge. I got them the dog.

You made a wise decision. SR and I have 2 dogs. I could probably list 101 reasons why we love sharing our home with them. Let us know what kind of dog you got for them. Inquiring minds want to know.

Ours are a rescued greyhound ex-racer who galloped into our lives in 2011, after we had lost 2 of our greys to old age and cancer. #2 has been with us for 2 years, a little rat terrier that we got at a local shelter. She was supposed to be a rat terrier/Jack Russel mix, but the vet said she's all rat terrier. The 2 are best buddies.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

A friend works for Lab rescue; and our Lab was saved from a kill shelter. The Jack Russel was the wild one, live to be 17, climbed tress, and a half dozen trips to the vet for stitches. They do not realize they are only 12 pounds. He was a great hunting dog. If he went into a brush pile, you knew a bird or rabbit was coming out. I carried him in the game pocket of my hunting vest. His ears were split from catching them on low twigs, branches. Just a great little dog. We had some Jersey Giant chickens, and he hung out with the rooster. Go figure that one.

Our greyhound and rat terrier look like Mutt and Jeff. She always stands under our grey. Our patio has about a 2-3 ft dropoff to the grass below. The dors are disoriented with all the snow we still have--almost a foot. Today Bella, the greyhound, pulled a dirty trick on the little rat terrier. She went to the edge of the drop-off and put her head down like she was going to jump off. She didn't, but the rat terrier did, sunk into the snow. She somehow plowed through the snow and made her way to the part of the patio with no drop-off, then made a bee-line to the house.

Poor little thing shouldn't follow the lead of that greyhound with the long legs. Bella never jumped. She's too smart for that.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

We also had a Malamute for 12 years. Enormous ( and powerful ) dog. The brown eyed sled dog. She rarely came into the house. Had her own dog door, but preferred being outdoors. Actually ( in the Winter ), the house was far too hot for her. I'd look out in the morning, and see a pile of snow moving. She would lay down, cover her nose with her tail, and just snooze under the snow. A neighbor reported me to the SPCA; said I was being cruel to the dog for keeping her outside in bad weather. A sled dog that can handle 40 or 50 below zero. Every neighborhood has a few people who need psychiatric evaluation. She was not really a pet; we just shared space with her. Very gentle; but she hated cats. If she got hold of a cat, there was nothing you could do. It looked like she was playing a harmonic or eating corn on the cob. Nothing left but a furry bag of broken bones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimsouth View Post
    A friend works for Lab rescue; and our Lab was saved from a kill shelter. The Jack Russel was the wild one, live to be 17, climbed tress, and a half dozen trips to the vet for stitches. They do not realize they are only 12 pounds. He was a great hunting dog. If he went into a brush pile, you knew a bird or rabbit was coming out. I carried him in the game pocket of my hunting vest. His ears were split from catching them on low twigs, branches. Just a great little dog. We had some Jersey Giant chickens, and he hung out with the rooster. Go figure that one.

I have a Jack Russell/Rat Terrier mix who weighs about 25 lbs. She tries to hunt. She corners possums, but she just wants to play with them. She thinks that when they hiss at her, they are playing back. She's a crazy-ass dog, though. I love her, but she can be really difficult. She doesn't like any children and particularly hates teenage boys.

Our Lab likes water; but only on her terms. The kids give her a bath; rose oil included. She then goes into the back yard, and lays in a stagnant puddle that has a dead squirrel rotting in it.
    There is no such thing as a normal life; there is just life. Jimsouth ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Victims of Illegal Aliens Memorial - OJJPAC.org
    www.ojjpac.org/memorial.asp