1. #1 NHRA driver Kalitta killed in fiery crash in NJ 
    3 hours ago

ENGLISHTOWN, N.J. (AP) — Scott Kalitta died Saturday when his Funny Car crashed and burst into flames during the final round of qualifying for the Lucas Oil NHRA SuperNationals at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park.

The NHRA said the 46-year-old Kalitta — the 1994 and 1995 Top Fuel season champion who had 18 career victories, 17 in Top Fuel and one in Funny Car — was taken to Raritan Bay Medical Center in Old Bridge, where he died a short time later.

Witnesses told The Star-Ledger of Newark that Kalitta's Toyota Solara was traveling at an estimated speed of 300 mph when the crash occurred.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g...GVP-wD91EP9H80

:(
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Connie used to run his AA-Fueler down Garfield (near Newland) here on the edge of HB, when the old man lived in Fountain Valley. The neighbors would call the police and raise Hell when Scott's daddy was stretching the rail's legs, but those were great times back when I was a kid standing on the curb.

Good Bye, Scott. :(
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

I'm kind of surprised so many stations (Fox News, ESPN) have shown the actual accident footage. Pretty graphic.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    I'm kind of surprised so many stations (Fox News, ESPN) have shown the actual accident footage. Pretty graphic.
    True - I think they may be regretting that now. NHRA/ESPN released it first - with a warning, but that may have not been such a good decision.