Thread: Books!!!

1. #1 Books!!! 
    Went to the mall and used up my Christmas Barnes and Noble gift certificates! Yay! Its 82 and sunny, I'm going on the deck to start the first one!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Power CUer
    I got three books for Christmas, all of which will keep me happily occupied (in various ways):

Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin
    Back to Basics by Ina Garten (the Barefoot Contessa)
    Ten: All the Foods we Love and Ten Recipes for Each by Sheila Lukins

Of the books you show, the only authors I recognize are Clive Cussler and David Baldacci. Looks like you've got quite a supply of "beach books" there!
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I got three books for Christmas, all of which will keep me happily occupied (in various ways):

Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin
    Back to Basics by Ina Garten (the Barefoot Contessa)
    Ten: All the Foods we Love and Ten Recipes for Each by Sheila Lukins

Of the books you show, the only authors I recognize are Clive Cussler and David Baldacci. Looks like you've got quite a supply of "beach books" there!
    Team of Rivals is excellent.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Went to the mall and used up my Christmas Barnes and Noble gift certificates! Yay! Its 82 and sunny, I'm going on the deck to start the first one!

You did well!!!

I don't know Paul Wilson or Ted Bell but the others are really great.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Team of Rivals is excellent.
    You're tellin' me. I just got it two days ago and I'm almost three hundred pages into it (meaning, of course, not even halfway....).
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I'm still immersed in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I got two interesting books for Christmas: one on Japanese culture called "Chrysanthemum and the Sword" and one on 101 things people used to know how do but don't now. I'm up to jousting but some ways away from embalming a body. I'm a quick study, however, so I expect to get a lot out of it. :D

Divine Justice looks good.

When I finally start a book, it seems like I do nothing but read it for a few days until I am done.

Sometimes, I start books several times, before actually starting to really read them.

I only read about 4 books a year.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    101 things people used to know how do but don't now. I'm up to jousting but some ways away from embalming a body. I'm a quick study, however, so I expect to get a lot out of it. :D
    Ginger, you'd probably get a smile or two out of A.J. Jacobs' "The Know it All", in which he reads the entire Encyclopedia Britannica. :)

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Sometimes, I start books several times, before actually starting to really read them.

I was beating myself up because I barely did a book a week this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post

I never read books until this Iraq Deployment, then I picked up "Liberal Fascism" for the ride out and boom...I've read 10 books so far! (Almost 11, got 3 pages left to "The Road to Serfdom"....Hayek is a motherflippin' genius. :D)

Once I finish Adam Smith & Thomas Payne it's on to the book I've been saving all deployment for the end: Atlass Shrugged. It's been torture with this thing on my desk every day, I wanna read it now!
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke