Thread: Buy this DVD!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Buy this DVD! 
    I haven't bought DVDs in a while...I usually rent them, figuring most movies are worth just watching once.

I will make an exception for An American Carol, being released on Tuesday. I would hope my fellow conservatives would make a similar effort.

Here's a little blurb about it from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_American_Carol:

Presented from a politically conservative perspective, the film is a parody of liberal film maker Michael Moore that "lampoons contemporary American culture, particularly Hollywood."[3] It uses the framework of A Christmas Carol but moves the setting of the story from Christmas to Independence Day. The screenplay is written by Myrna Sokoloff and Zucker. The supporting cast includes Kelsey Grammer, Jon Voight, Dennis Hopper, Trace Adkins, Gary Coleman, Jillian Murray and Leslie Nielsen.
    The movie is directed by David Zucker, infamous for his comedies like Airplane! and the Naked Gun series.

The movie didn't do too well at the box office, probably a combination of factors including accusations of movie theaters attributing ticket sales to other films so that it would appear to be a flop. This would be "DUing" a film, and we all know how our Democratic fiends love to tip the scales in their favor.

More from Wikipedia...
    To date, An American Carol has grossed $7 million after having a production budget of $20 million.
    David Zucker, in an interview with National Review Online, had suggested a sequel as his next possible project, but now says he is done making conservative comedies Zucker laments that the audience for this type of film is the type that waits for it to be available on DVD. The poor box office performance may make it more difficult for films with conservative themes to be produced for release to theaters.
    So, let's make a concerted effort to boost sales. If we really WANT more of these type movies to be produced, we're going to have to support directors like Zucker, otherwise all we're going to get is the liberal tripe.

So far, I've seen it advertised at Best Buy for $14.99, $29.99 for Blu-Ray.
    Nothing says "idiot inside" better than an Obama/Biden bumper sticker.

I lost visibility of this movie recently, glad to hear that it's coming out on DVD already! Kelsey Grammer is hilarious. :D
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    The trailer looks funny:

I'm getting it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CYSGCoflAA
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Saw it in the theaters when it came out, had a good time.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Saw it in the theaters when it came out, had a good time.
    Burn After Reading Trailer (HD)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N99kv6ojn48

Another good one coming out on DVD Jan. 27th:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5lSu6GkC2k
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

Wal-Mart has their price for the regular DVD for $19.86 but their Blu-Ray version of An American Carol is only $24.86. It looks like it's going to be a VERY funny flick. Most of other of Zucker's films are the kind I enjoy seeing over and over again. Airplane! is in the same category as Young Frankenstein and Murder By Death.

I may need to ask for that for my birthday in February, it was hilarious.
    When I saw it in theaters, the theater was completely jam- packed, and when it was done, much of the audience (Myself included) gave it a standing ovation.

Quote Originally Posted by movie buff View Post
    When I saw it in theaters, the theater was completely jam- packed, and when it was done, much of the audience (Myself included) gave it a standing ovation.
    That is quite impossible. According to the accounts by "respected" reviewers, it was not funny at all and barely anyone saw the movie. What you must've witnessed was some Rovian camera tricks, perhaps using holographic images that produced an imaginary audience. I think Cosmored has the full lowdown on how you were tricked.

I picked up my copy today and slapped it in the DVD player.

It didn't disappoint. There were a lot of funny scenes in it and some hilarious dialogue, true to the Zucker branding. I loved the way it mocked Ted Kennedy & Jimmy Carter. With Kevin Farley playing Mooron (...I mean "Malone") so well, it was tough deciding whether or not you liked him. It's a great movie to own because some of the dialogue flys by so fast that repeat viewings will be necessary...pretty much the same manner you have to milk the most out of Airplane! and other Zucker flicks.

I wanted a bigger role out of Leslie Nielsen, but maybe because he's been such a cornerstone in the many other Zucker films. The whole plot of the movie was a little hard to digest, perhaps too wishful-thinking: a brain-dead liberal sees the light. I don't know how brainwashed Zucker was when he was a Democrat, but I doubt he was anything close to the rabid liberal mentalities of his fellow Hollywood elites like Sean Penn, Barbra, Danny Glover, etc. I don't think there's much hope for people whose brains are that fried.

Anyway, it's a keeper!