1. #1 Oxycontin is MORE addictive than morphine: Tucker Carlson report 
    Power CUer
    Start at 34:18. The segment is relatively short but REALLY important.

A blessing & a curse. Nothing works better for excruciating pain than opiates. Short term use is OK. My wife endured 8 spinal surgeries, and developed adhesive arachnoiditis ( sever scarring of nerve routes ). Luckily she had a very compassionate neurologist. According to an expert on her problem, all the pain of terminal cancer, without the benefit of death. A spinal revision eliminated much of the scarring. She stopped her pain meds cold. Maybe 2 weeks of being gritty & uncomfortable. Everyone reacts differently.

To use heroin, one has to get over the fear most of us have of needles. To use Oxy, one does not. It's less complicated to take a pill than to melt a powder on a spoon, fill a possibly dirty syringe, tie off the vein to get a good pulse and stick that needle into it. Most of us cringe at the thought.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    To use heroin, one has to get over the fear most of us have of needles. To use Oxy, one does not. It's less complicated to take a pill than to melt a powder on a spoon, fill a possibly dirty syringe, tie off the vein to get a good pulse and stick that needle into it. Most of us cringe at the thought.
    That explains why it has been so popular. The other issue, of course, is legitimate patients who use Oxy for post surgical pain and get addicted. Their doctors have not given them the correct information on Oxy because the company does not give it out. Then you have an unintentional addict who would never have dreamed of illegal drug use, suddenly desperate for the drug.

The company that makes Oxy (Purdue) needs to be sued into oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    That explains why it has been so popular. The other issue, of course, is legitimate patients who use Oxy for post surgical pain and get addicted. Their doctors have not given them the correct information on Oxy because the company does not give it out. Then you have an unintentional addict who would never have dreamed of illegal drug use, suddenly desperate for the drug.

The company that makes Oxy (Purdue) needs to be sued into oblivion.
    Once one is addicted to the pills and their doctor stops prescribing them, desperation helps them overcome those needle and heroin fears.

Power CUer
    Once one is addicted to the pills and their doctor stops prescribing them, desperation helps them overcome those needle and heroin fears.
    Good Lord. Addiction is horrific. Do you deal with it a lot?

As a young man, I certainly did my share of partying; but I always had the sense to never get involved with anything that could get it's claws into my soul.
    There is no such thing as a normal life; there is just life. Jimsouth ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Victims of Illegal Aliens Memorial - OJJPAC.org
    www.ojjpac.org/memorial.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Good Lord. Addiction is horrific. Do you deal with it a lot?
    Not so much opiates/opiods. Crack is still the main issue in Detroit. Heroin has always been around, but I don't think I have more cases of junkies now then I did in the 80s. Pill addictions are a suburban thing, at least among the 20-45 age group., which is the age range of the parents I deal with.

But we do have the suburbs in my district now. I haven't had any meth cases, but coworkers have. Most babies who test positive for weed alone are not removed, at least not if that is the only reason CPS was called. Now that it's legal, probably fewer will be removed.

Power CUer
    Not so much opiates/opiods. Crack is still the main issue in Detroit. Heroin has always been around, but I don't think I have more cases of junkies now then I did in the 80s. Pill addictions are a suburban thing, at least among the 20-45 age group., which is the age range of the parents I deal with.

But we do have the suburbs in my district now. I haven't had any meth cases, but coworkers have. Most babies who test positive for weed alone are not removed, at least not if that is the only reason CPS was called. Now that it's legal, probably fewer will be removed.
    I can't imagine smoking weed while you're pregnant. The meth cases must be really heartbreaking. In my neck of San Diego, most of our homeless are actually meth addicts. They are just ruined people.