Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 People Who Get Social Security Benefits Without Having Children Are Free Riders 
    Social Security has a huge free-rider problem. To illustrate, imagine two couples, the Nukes (as in a nuclear family) and the Dinks (as in ďdouble income, no kidsĒ). The Nukes always dreamed of having a large family. But they are hampered by the double burden of paying for the Social Security subsidies of the last generation while they pay for the upbringing of the next generation.

The cost of daycare is roughly equivalent to the later cost of college. The Nukes end up spending $233,610 per child to raise them on top of the $600,000 they pay in Social Security taxes. Those taxes pay for current retirees and are not saved for either the Nukes or the Dinks. On top of that, Mrs. Nuke lost $230,000 in lifetime earnings because of her decision to bear children.

The Dinks, in contrast, avoided all of those child-raising and college expenses. Mrs. Dink stayed in the workforce her entire career, yielding a much higher salary. The Dinks might pay exactly as much in Social Security taxes as the Nukes did. But when the Dinks and the Nukes retire, both the Nukes and the Dinks will rely on the taxes collected from the Nuke children in order to fund their retirement. The Dinks might retire in relative luxury with all the money saved from skipping children; the Nukes might barely scrape by.
    They also don't get to deduct child care. They still have to pay taxes that support their school system. They still pay federal income tax that goes to people on SSI and SSD who may not have worked very long or perhaps not at all. Their taxes are used to support welfare, Title XIX, SNAP, subsidized housing and a variety of other social programs from which they receive no benefits.

So, in fact they are supporting people other than their own children and probably adults a swell who paid little or nothing into the system.

http://thefederalist.com/2019/01/21/...iders/#new_tab
    Unknown philosopher at a St. Patrick's Day celebration 1967

1 beer between 3 guys is better than no beers between no guys

How is something you pay into for your entire working life a free ride? What happens if I save my money and someone else blows all of theirs, and we both earn exactly the same amount?

You makes your choices, you get the results you chose. The critical part of the Ponzi scheme that SS has become is the reality of less and less workers to supply more and more retired.

It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    You makes your choices, you get the results you chose. The critical part of the Ponzi scheme that SS has become is the reality of less and less workers to supply more and more retired.

Iíve seen a similar chart to this one before and itís quite scary. Iím like a squirrel saving acorns for a very long and cold Winter. Not counting on SS or my 401K to even be there. Itís called the ďnone yaĒ retirement plan... None ya damned business. Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Tecate View Post
    Iíve seen a similar chart to this one before and itís quite scary. Iím like a squirrel saving acorns for a very long and cold Winter. Not counting on SS or my 401K to even be there. Itís called the ďnone yaĒ retirement plan... None ya damned business. Lol!
    Thatís the way I worked for 40 plus years. Iím receiving SS but could get by without it ó but Iím not about to. Itís my money and Iíll never get it all back much less any interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Thatís the way I worked for 40 plus years. Iím receiving SS but could get by without it ó but Iím not about to. Itís my money and Iíll never get it all back much less any interest.
    And all of those dollars are weaker than the ones you paid in to it. Thatís another way we get screwed. Inflation.

SS is the least of our problems. The skyrocketing national debt with zero hope of paying it off even partially thanks to perpetual budget deficits is a much more serious crisis. Add to that the fact that at least 60% of all jobs will be done by robots within the next few decades leaving massive numbers of people without a job or any hope of getting one. How will people support themselves?

In short, America, and with it the Western World will face problems we've never imagined before. I see a very dark future coming our way. Our failure to confront and utterly defeat the Left over the last half century has left us with the America we see today. Sadly, we've only just begun to pay the price for our apathy and inaction. The worst has yet to come.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    SS is the least of our problems. The skyrocketing national debt with zero hope of paying it off even partially thanks to perpetual budget deficits is a much more serious crisis. Add to that the fact that at least 60% of all jobs will be done by robots within the next few decades leaving massive numbers of people without a job or any hope of getting one. How will people support themselves?

In short, America, and with it the Western World will face problems we've never imagined before. I see a very dark future coming our way. Our failure to confront and utterly defeat the Left over the last half century has left us with the America we see today. Sadly, we've only just begun to pay the price for our apathy and inaction. The worst has yet to come.
    Welcome to my world. Iíve watched this landslide build for the over 30 years Iíve seen it coming. What this country will be in 10, 20, 30 years I canít even imagine but ďthe publicĒ will have brought it on themselves with their votes so theyíre welcome to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post

Iíll be 50 years old on March, 11th. You donít even want to get me started. The debt can NEVER be repaid. We are so screwed that it canít even be quantified without more zeroís than you can count. In 2008, it was ARMís (adjustable rate mortgages). This time, it will be global debt on a scale that no one has ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tecate View Post
    Iíll be 50 years old on March, 11th. You donít even want to get me started. The debt can NEVER be repaid. We are so screwed that it canít even be quantified without more zeroís than you can count. In 2008, it was ARMís (adjustable rate mortgages). This time, it will be global debt on a scale that no one has ever seen.
    59 on March 6 here and you are absolutely right. All the pieces are falling into place for WWIII. It will not resemble the last two World Wars because it will not be only nation against nation but will be a war of cultures and races as the world realigns in the familiar historic patterns. The world as we know it will soon be no more.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)