1. #1 Easy Chili Recipe 
    A pound of ground beef & one large onion coarsely chopped. You can throw in a sweet bell pepper also coarsely chopped, if you like. Cook down the beef & onion on medium heat for 15 or so minutes. Drain off the fat. Now, a 15 ounce can of kidney beans with the liquid ( red or pink ), and a small can of tomato sauce; or a small can of tomato paste & a cup of water. Let it all cook together & slightly thicken. Serve with some shredded cheddar on top & crusty bread & butter. Good cold weather recipe, and a quick one.
    There is no such thing as a normal life; there is just life. Jimsouth ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Victims of Illegal Aliens Memorial - OJJPAC.org
    www.ojjpac.org/memorial.asp

I've been making chili-mac lately... tho it's probably called other things. Same process except for an onion. Just grab a handful of spaghetti and boil it. Add chili-powder. Spoon the chili over the spaghetti.

That;s the easy kind of recipe I like. Thanks for the idea---going to try it this week. It's really cold here in St Louis. Chili should be great. I might add a bit of garlic powder, maybe a little dash of chili powder and a sprinkle or two of red pepper flakes to give it a little kick.

Tonight we're having hamburger (browned with some onion and a part of a green pepper and an orange pepper), then mixed with spiralized sweet potatoes and zucchini. I just kind of make up most of my "recipes"--just a little of this and a little of that.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac shark View Post
    I've been making chili-mac lately... tho it's probably called other things. Same process except for an onion. Just grab a handful of spaghetti and boil it. Add chili-powder. Spoon the chili over the spaghetti.
    Sounds good, might do a version of that tonight with the meat mixture over the spiralized sweet potatoes and zucchini. My doc told me to get in 5-7 servings of fruits & veggies a day, so using either spiralized veggies or spaghetti squash instead of real pasta. SR is putting up with it.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Sounds good, might do a version of that tonight with the meat mixture over the spiralized sweet potatoes and zucchini. My doc told me to get in 5-7 servings of fruits & veggies a day, so using either spiralized veggies or spaghetti squash instead of real pasta. SR is putting up with it.
    That's a great-sounding idea. I never thought of that. When I discovered I like zucchini-bread better than carrot-cake, I've virtually never eaten zucchini in any other form since.

Sorry Jimsouth but chili is not ground beef but cubed and has NO BEANS.

It also takes a minimum of three days to make it right.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Sorry Jimsouth but chili is not ground beef but cubed and has NO BEANS.

It also takes a minimum of three days to make it right.
    That I know. Texas Red is thee original chili. Thickened with corn meal. Cooked until the meat falls apart. I use my cast iron dutch oven & rendered suet to brown the meat. Then butter on crusty bread. Many Texas Red recipes; but I find the Marlboro Texas Red is good. Just have to cut down the amount of ingredients. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- INGREDIENTS Nutrition
    1⁄4 lb suet, finely chopped (render suet and discard rind)
    6 lbs beef, extra lean, coarsely chopped
    1 cup chili powder
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    2 tablespoons ground oregano
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
    4 garlic cloves, finely minced
    2 quarts beef stock
    1⁄2 cup masa harina
    1⁄2 cup cold water

DIRECTIONS
    optional:
    can of pinto beans, rinsed
    can chopped tomatoes.
    Substitute:
    grease from 1/4 lb. bacon in place of suet.
    Add beef, pound at a time, to the grease rendered from suet and brown (or substitute bacon grease). After each pound is browned, remove.
    ( this leaves most of the grease and juice in the browning pan)
    When all meat is browned, put your meat in a chili pot and add seasonings and beef stock.
    Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Skim fat.
    Combine masa (harina) and cold water and stir into chili.
    Simmer for 30 minutes.
    There is no such thing as a normal life; there is just life. Jimsouth ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Victims of Illegal Aliens Memorial - OJJPAC.org

Quote Originally Posted by Jimsouth View Post
    That I know. Texas Red is thee original chili. Thickened with corn meal. Cooked until the meat falls apart. I use my cast iron dutch oven & rendered suet to brown the meat. Then butter on crusty bread. Many Texas Red recipes; but I find the Marlboro Texas Red is good. Just have to cut down the amount of ingredients. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- INGREDIENTS Nutrition
    1⁄4 lb suet, finely chopped (render suet and discard rind)
    6 lbs beef, extra lean, coarsely chopped
    1 cup chili powder
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    2 tablespoons ground oregano
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
    4 garlic cloves, finely minced
    2 quarts beef stock
    1⁄2 cup masa harina
    1⁄2 cup cold water

DIRECTIONS
    optional:
    can of pinto beans, rinsed
    can chopped tomatoes.
    Substitute:
    grease from 1/4 lb. bacon in place of suet.
    Add beef, pound at a time, to the grease rendered from suet and brown (or substitute bacon grease). After each pound is browned, remove.
    ( this leaves most of the grease and juice in the browning pan)
    When all meat is browned, put your meat in a chili pot and add seasonings and beef stock.
    Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Skim fat.
    Combine masa (harina) and cold water and stir into chili.
    Simmer for 30 minutes.
    Not bad but Iíll add another step or three.
    Go ahead and make the big batch.
    Eat a bowl and put all the rest in one container and freeze.
    When ready, pull out the container and warm up the whole volume.
    Eat a bowl and ....
    Rinse
    Repeat

It will take the third thawing to get the best flavor out of the mix

And forget the beans. Thems a side dish along with slaw and mustard potato salad.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    And forget the beans. Thems a side dish along with slaw and mustard potato salad.
    I like this more than slaw. Creamed cabbage. I put the cabbage ( small pieces ) in a blender with water. Chop it fine, and strain out the water. In a bowl with 2 or 3 tablespoons of sour cream & two or three tablespoons sugar. Mix well. It will separate , so mix before serving. It does not need to be chopped fine. Some people like it more coarse; and the sour cream & sugar can be adjusted to taste. Best if refrigerated overnight.