1. #1 Purdue pres advocates novel concept: Grads should know the Constitution 
    An Indiana university’s president is suggesting that his faculty come up with a civic literacy test to implement as a graduation requirement.

Purdue University president and former Republican Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels made the proposal during a meeting of the university senate, which consists largely of faculty members, according to the Journal & Courier. Daniels stated that the purpose of the test would be to ensure that Purdue graduates have a fundamental knowledge of America and its government.

“I think that having a test vs. having no test will certainly result in an increase of knowledge..."

“We would like to be able [to] certify that in addition to the other positive accomplishments here at Purdue, you are leaving with this fundamental understanding,” the president said at the meeting. “I think it would be becoming of our institution. And I think it would be a worthy contribution to our individual students.”
    This is racist because the constitution was written by white males.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=11841
    Unknown philosopher at a St. Patrick's Day celebration 1967

1 beer between 3 guys is better than no beers between no guys

Bravo!

Purdue's President reflects the good sense of the people in flyover country, the Heartland. In places like NY they're too busy cheering for late term abortion, lighting buildings in pink, etc.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

In CA that used to be a requirement for graduating from 8th Grade.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    In CA that used to be a requirement for graduating from 8th Grade.
    We did an overview of it in 8th grade, which was basic American history that focused on the wars (French/Indian through WWII, with a little on Korea and Vietnam) but didn't really do serious study/class discussion until 12th grade Government/Civics. So the Constitution fit in between the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    We did an overview of it in 8th grade, which was basic American history that focused on the wars (French/Indian through WWII, with a little on Korea and Vietnam) but didn't really do serious study/class discussion until 12th grade Government/Civics. So the Constitution fit in between the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.
    But you're much younger ...

Every state differs in such matters. For us it was a multi-week unit of reading through and learning the meaning of the various articles and amendments. Followed by a "high stakes" test - you had to pass to graduate. OTOH, US Government was a required single semester course in our senior year. Maybe a decent teacher did something meaningful, but the teacher I had was a fruitcake. I don't remember much of that class beyond having listened to Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant" and a Cheech and Chong album or two (Class ... class ... CLA-A-A-A-AAASSS? Wake up!).
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    But you're much younger ...

Every state differs in such matters. For us it was a multi-week unit of reading through and learning the meaning of the various articles and amendments. Followed by a "high stakes" test - you had to pass to graduate. OTOH, US Government was a required single semester course in our senior year. Maybe a decent teacher did something meaningful, but the teacher I had was a fruitcake. I don't remember much of that class beyond having listened to Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant" and a Cheech and Chong album or two (Class ... class ... CLA-A-A-A-AAASSS? Wake up!).

My 12th grade government teacher is being honored today for her service to the community. I sent them a really nice letter for the tribute booklet. She was an awesome teacher, she's like 90 and retired about 5 years ago-she loved teaching and loved teaching government to kids. When the director of the Michigan Moral Majority threatened to sue the school to censor books out of the library, she invited him to speak to our class. She said she would fight him if he were to try to get books removed from the school's library, but he had every right to present his case to the students.