Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Unfortunately people like Andrew Wakefield and his army of sycophants including those like Jenny McCarthy are all too keen to call attention to themselves at the expense of a child's health.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
    Unfortunately people like Andrew Wakefield and his army of sycophants including those like Jenny McCarthy are all too keen to call attention to themselves at the expense of a child's health.

I don't know who Andrew Wakefield is, and I'm not going to defend Jenny McCarthy's beliefs regarding immunizations. I am going to defend her desire to find the root cause of autism for future prevention, she just got hooked in by bad science. I'm not smart enough to understand the science, so I will take the opinions of doctors, the vast majority of whom support vaccinating children.

It's really hard to be a parent of an autistic child, and the parents are always looking for new treatments and educational assistance. If people are poor, they are dependent on community mental health services, who are biased toward harsh pharmaceutical treatments like Risperdal or other psychotropic drugs. There are holistic doctors who have alternative treatments (CBD oil, which is cannabis extract with the THC removed) has some potential, but if the CMH people catch their clients' parents giving it to the kids, it's a CPS referral.

My dad had polio when he was about 8. It stunted his growth-he comes from a tall family, and he was never taller than 5'7. He was never paralyzed as a child, but has lost sensation and his ability to walk gradually over the past 20 years because he has post polio syndrome. His family never sought medical treatment for him because they would have been quarantined and not able to work and pay bills. He got drafted into the Army and served in Korea right after the cease fire. He said guys in his unit beat the crap out of him because he couldn't keep up physically. He also was assigned to sniper patrol at the border for a time, and fell out of a tree. Eventually, they just made him the cook for his unit. He should have been exempt from the draft, except he didn't know it was polio he had as a kid, so he didn't tell the Army physicians about it. In his 40s and 50s (when I was a teen and young adult), he had a great deal of difficulty walking. He used to love bowling. He took our youth group bowling once and fell on the lane in front of us all, and never bowled again.

One of my coworkers had polio as a child-we joke that she had to have been the last kid to get it before the vaccine was invented, because she's only 5 or 6 years older than I am. She also is small of size, and she is still walking, but it's a struggle for her. She doesn't have post-polio syndrome and not every survivor gets it. She was in an iron lung when she was sick.

I'm not a parent, but if I was I would rather risk (not that I'm saying there is one) autism than polio. Jonas Salk saved children's lives with his vaccine. My generation was able to grow up without fearing it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I don't know who Andrew Wakefield is, and I'm not going to defend Jenny McCarthy's beliefs regarding immunizations.
    Andrew Wakefield is a monster. He was the author of a fraudulent paper on a connection between the MMR vaccine and autism. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Wakefield

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I'm not a parent, but if I was I would rather risk (not that I'm saying there is one) autism than polio. Jonas Salk saved children's lives with his vaccine. My generation was able to grow up without fearing it.
    I suspect that some parents would rather see their children dead or injured than allow them to be vaccinated. Some of them know their unvaccinated kids are a threat to those who can't be vaccinated due to weakened immune systems or other reasons; but they don't care.

Autism aside, every vaccine has a certain mortality rate, they aren't failsafe magic potions in a role-playing game. To be approved, the benefits have to heavily outweigh the risk, but the risk is there,

Banned
    Along with the usual very small risks associated with the vaccines, if it is not administered properly there are other risks. Two babies died shortly after they got an MMR vaccine in Samoa.

https://www.who.int/westernpacific/n...er-mmr-vaccine