1. #1 Ban Them! Overused Words Of 2008. 
    Banned words list offers no 'bailout' to offenders

By JEFF KAROUB
    Associated Press Writer

DETROIT (AP) -- A movie about a "maverick," his journey "from Wall Street to Main Street," his "desperate search" for a "monkey" and a "game-changing" revelation about his "carbon footprint" probably would make the nation's word-watchers physically ill.

Especially if it were the "winner of five nominations."

All those words and phrases are on Lake Superior State University's annual List of Words to Be Banished from the Queen's English for Mis-use, Over-use and General Uselessness. The 34th version of the list was released Tuesday, which means, "It's that time of year again."

The school in Michigan's Upper Peninsula selected 15 entries from about 5,000 nominations.

Despite the year's economic meltdown (which itself wasn't banished but don't rule it out for next year), the most entries came from the environmental category - for "green" or "going green."

"If I see one more corporation declare itself 'green,' I'm going to start burning tires in my backyard," wrote Ed Hardiman of Bristow, Va., in his submission. Nominators also had their fill of "carbon footprint" - the amount of greenhouse gases an individual's lifestyle produces.

The list wasn't overrun with politics despite the national election - no "change," for instance - but one simply couldn't escape the critics' wrath.

"I'm a maverick, he's a maverick, wouldn't you like to be a maverick, too?" offered Michael Burke of Silver Spring, Md., in his entry for the label embraced by unsuccessful Republican presidential candidate John McCain.
    LOL! "Holy Cross is Going Green!!!!" is a sign in front of a church that I pass by from time to time. Jesus wept.

Gag The Greens

I want to stomp down a MASSIVE carbon footprint. :) I go out of my way to make that foot print as large as possible. :) and I LOVE IT!!
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I want to stomp down a MASSIVE carbon footprint. :) I go out of my way to make that foot print as large as possible. :) and I LOVE IT!!
    Hmmm, sounds like foot print envy.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I tread lightly and carry a big stick.
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I'm reminded of the rant that Dennis Leary does in his "I'm an Asshole" song. :D

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I'm reminded of the rant that Dennis Leary does in his "I'm an Asshole" song. :D
    yea well dennis IS an asshole. :p
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.