Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 if unqualified student gets bogus admission, don't parents worry the student will flu 
    Link

EveHammond13 (357 posts)

if unqualified student gets bogus admission, don't parents worry the student will flunk out?

your qualifications are not supposed to be about (just) getting in.

they are supposed to be about your readiness for college work.

I'd be very worried that an unqualified student admitted into a school like Stanford is going to be sussed out in no time.

most -- not all but most --- of their classmates are going to be the academic elite from all over the world.

now, maybe they just don't care if they get all Cs and Ds. maybe that's the situation.
    How is it different than affirmative action which admits minorities with lower GPA and test scores in the cause of "reparations" or "diversity"? Democrats are never concerned that those students are unable to compete in an upper level university/college and so fail or quit. Of course the DUmmies don't make that connection.

Sherman A1 (22,922 posts) 1. I would assume that if they cheated to get them into the school

they would be well prepared to continue the practice to get them through whatever courses in which the students were having trouble.
    The Velveteen Ocelot (69,192 posts)

4. They'd just endow a chair or donate a building.

If they couldn't afford that much they'd hire someone to tutor their kids or cheat for them.
    janterry (2,526 posts)

5. Grade inflation

It's a huge problem in academia.
    blueinredohio (2,253 posts)

8. If you have enough money

You can buy admission,grades and a diploma. Trump and offspring are prime examples.
    ck4829 (23,633 posts)

15. That's what privilege does to you

I didn't get mommy and daddy paying for the entrance things, I did that, and I had to take every test, quiz, and lecture seriously... something I realized without help. It showed, but still, there was no room for error, whether it was in what classes I took, or what I did in those classes.
    smirkymonkey (39,741 posts)

18. From what I understand, the hardest thing about most Ivy League colleges is getting in.

Once you are there, it's not that much more challenging than any other decent university. At least for undergrads. I know quite a few Ivy League grads. Some of them are very bright, some are average and there are a few that are downright stupid. They also happen to be legacy and/or children from very wealthy, prominent families.
    The Democrat base hates the wealthy although they tolerate them if they are liberal and support Democrats. What these parents did was wrong and they need to be held to account, but the DUmmies show their envy and disdain for those who have more than they do.

EveHammond13 (357 posts)

if unqualified student gets bogus admission, don't parents worry the student will flunk out?
    LPC Noob EveHammond13 is treading near ideologically dangerous ground. Just insert the words "Affirmative Action" into the middle of "unqualified student", and ... "(Ding-Dong) Pizza delivery!"
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

"Handmaid's Tale" is Christian-Bashing Hate Speech

It makes me wonder to a degree about how my niece was wait-listed at Yale. She ended up going to Reed, where she wanted to go anyways, but she applied at numerous schools. Reed offered her a really good scholarship.

My niece was a 3.9 gpa student who scored a 1450 on the SAT. She was admitted at the last minute to Yale, but had already committed herself to Reed, which is where she wanted to go because she loves the Pacific Northwest.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    It makes me wonder to a degree about how my niece was wait-listed at Yale. She ended up going to Reed, where she wanted to go anyways, but she applied at numerous schools. Reed offered her a really good scholarship.

My niece was a 3.9 gpa student who scored a 1450 on the SAT. She was admitted at the last minute to Yale, but had already committed herself to Reed, which is where she wanted to go because she loves the Pacific Northwest.
    Well, it could have been Hollywood stars who took her place.

Or....it could have been the black kid with 1200 SATs. Don't get me wrong, 1200 is not bad. But it's not Yale scores. And yes, there is much proof (which I have posted on this board) that black students have a differential of 200+ points on the SATs. Minding the Campus has some inside info on this.

Laura Fornash, Executive Assistant to the President for State Governmental relations (and former Virginia Secretary of Education), sent the math plus verbal results, by race, for the students admitted to the class entering next fall, along with the observation that not all students take the SAT and that UVa’s racial range is not surprising given the results nationally. And indeed the results are not surprising:

African Americans 1154
    White 1353
    Asian 1397
    A before anyone tries to bash Minding the Campus, it's mostly college professors writing the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post

Or....it could have been the black kid with 1200 SATs. Don't get me wrong, 1200 is not bad. But it's not Yale scores. And yes, there is much proof (which I have posted on this board) that black students have a differential of 200+ points on the SATs. Minding the Campus has some inside info on this.

A before anyone tries to bash Minding the Campus, it's mostly college professors writing the blog.
    Discrimination against Asians (East and South!) and whites has been going on in academia for years, sadly.

Discrimination against Asians (East and South!) and whites has been going on in academia for years, sadly.
    Yes, it has. And minorities often fail out because they are accepted to schools they do not have the grades for, while they would have likely done well at a lesser college. No different than the likely results if white kids with the same SAT scores were admitted to the same elite college.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post

A 1450 is a family all-time high score. I took the ACT, not the SAT. My "genius" asshole brother didn't score that high. His son, who is the same age as my niece but got double-promoted in elementary school, scored a 1350. He goes to that school in Columbus that's mascot is a tree nut.

The niece at Reed is enough of a snowflake that she would be okay with Yale giving her seat to a black kid with a lower score. She's going to be a lawyer some day. She wants social justice. I can see the day of disillusion when she decides to be a public defender to help the oppressed and realizes that most of the people she defends are guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    A 1450 is a family all-time high score. I took the ACT, not the SAT. My "genius" asshole brother didn't score that high. His son, who is the same age as my niece but got double-promoted in elementary school, scored a 1350. He goes to that school in Columbus that's mascot is a tree nut.
    Do they ever play a football or basketball game against a college whose mascot is a squirrel?

Scottsdale Community College's mascot is the artichoke.

UC Santa Cruz's mascot is the banana slug (a large, bright yellow, slug that lives in the nearby redwood-forested mountains).

Does the fact that the (stupid) parents felt a need to cheat to put their kids where they wanted them automatically class them as unqualified? As they never did compete on a level field, we'll never know.

In the meantime the ‘student athletes’ in this fiasco are really unqualified for their positions.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

A degree from Cal State Dominguez Hills (LA area) may not sound impressive, but with the right major it could give them a good start in life. Once you get your foot in the door and show what you can do, a prestige image gets faded by reality.

My son has a degree from a CSU. It gets his foot inside doors. After that his work and experience get him his jobs ... doing things are are outside of his major that he taught himself. But many elites are marginally in touch with the real world ... if at all. So they would not understand that.