Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1 US Air Force says Boeing has 'severe situation' after trash found on refueling planes 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    53,998
    WTF????


    By Barbara Starr, CNN Pentagon Correspondent
    Updated 5:13 PM ET, Thu March 14, 2019


    (CNN)In a blistering attack on Boeing, the Air Force's top acquisition official said the company has a "severe situation" with flawed inspections of its new KC-46 air refueling tanker aircraft, after trash and industrial tools were found in some planes after they were delivered to the Air Force.

    Dr. Will Roper, assistant secretary of the Air Force for acquisition, technology and logistics, made clear his concerns after visiting Boeing's Everett Washington plant where the plane is assembled.

    "I left concerned, and I also left thinking Boeing understands they have a severe situation that's going to take top level engagement from their company," Roper said.

    After discovering the problem, the Air Force stopped accepting the new tankers from Boeing on February 20.
    May the FORCE be with you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Tecate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    969
    If we ever had a real audit where Iíve worked for almost 29 years, it might not turn out so well. Iím still spying on you though... The internet of things... Be afraid, be very afraid.

    Itís just a joke folks, but I do believe that I help to manufacture devices that spy on all of us. Fun times in the old semiconductor factory!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Power CUer SVPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    10,998
    Boeing's workers have "carelessly" left loose hardware and tools inside wings and other closed spaces and inspectors "missed" it. The danger from such "Foreign Object Debris" (FOD) is that is will slide around, causing damage.

    The reason for my scare quotes above is that this is a very high visibility issue in companies producing aerospace equipment (e.g. my previous employer, which produces communications equipment). Production workers have foam inserts in the tool kits with cut-out outlines for each tool. At the end of a worker's shift, (s)he is required to return every tool to the kit to insure a tool has not been left inside equipment. Inspectors have looking for FOD as a high priority. So I do not think this FOD was accidentally left inside wings, etc. accidentally, nor missed by inspectors accidentally. I have no evidence or inside knowledge, but the processes ubiquitous in the industry pretty much indicate to me this was intentional sabotage, and not by a single person.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

    BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

    Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Dlr Pyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    So. Cal
    Posts
    4,862
    Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    Boeing's workers have "carelessly" left loose hardware and tools inside wings and other closed spaces and inspectors "missed" it. The danger from such "Foreign Object Debris" (FOD) is that is will slide around, causing damage.

    The reason for my scare quotes above is that this is a very high visibility issue in companies producing aerospace equipment (e.g. my previous employer, which produces communications equipment). Production workers have foam inserts in the tool kits with cut-out outlines for each tool. At the end of a worker's shift, (s)he is required to return every tool to the kit to insure a tool has not been left inside equipment. Inspectors have looking for FOD as a high priority. So I do not think this FOD was accidentally left inside wings, etc. accidentally, nor missed by inspectors accidentally. I have no evidence or inside knowledge, but the processes ubiquitous in the industry pretty much indicate to me this was intentional sabotage, and not by a single person.
    When I worked on B-52's our toolboxes had the foam shadow boards you refer to and we had to do a tool inventory before we ran engines for maintenance or released the plane to the flight crew for a mission. We had to take similar precautions with hardware fasteners as a simple washer or small piece of safety wire that was lost under the floorboards can cause flight controls to jam or avionics to short out.

    The KC-46 is basically a 767 that is produced on a regular assembly line then sent to a different division of Boeing to get converted to a Military tanker. I'm guessing some serious meetings are taking place at this division to see what is causing the planes to be released with FOD in them.

    I was recently watching an episode of Ice Pilots and Buffalo Airway's C-46 suffered a landing gear collapse on landing. The cause of the collapse was a hammer that was left in the right gear well after maintenance that allowed the gear to extend and prevented it from locking into position, but the loose hammer triggered the downlock sensor giving the flight crew a safe gear condition indication in the cockpit. The crew was not harmed but it was a lesson in why all loose items (FOD) has to be removed from the aircraft.
    "People who think they know it all, are annoying to those of us who really do".... Pyro Bob

    "Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

    "Enemy. The word you are looking for is enemy. When the ideals of someone are antithetical to yours, you can say the word "enemy". DUmmy ret5hd Fri Aug 24, 2018, 05:10 PM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member cadillac shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    4,175
    The Air Force resumed accepting deliveries on March 11th... but they've gotta keep their runways clean. A sizeable percentage of debris was 'picked-up' by landing & taking-off. So birds being sucked-into engines is back to being the biggest threat again.

    https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/ht.../20190312.aspx
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member Dlr Pyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    So. Cal
    Posts
    4,862
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac shark View Post
    The Air Force resumed accepting deliveries on March 11th... but they've gotta keep their runways clean. A sizeable percentage of debris was 'picked-up' by landing & taking-off. So birds being sucked-into engines is back to being the biggest threat again.

    https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/ht.../20190312.aspx
    At the SAC base I was assigned to we had a guy in a large vacuum truck constantly driving up and down the flightline and taxiways collecting any small debris that could be sucked into an engine or embedded in the landing gear tires causing problems.

    The Concorde accident in 2000 was caused by debris on the runway that punctured a tire and then thrown up into the fuel tank rupturing it and bringing the plane down and ending the era of the Concorde.
    "People who think they know it all, are annoying to those of us who really do".... Pyro Bob

    "Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

    "Enemy. The word you are looking for is enemy. When the ideals of someone are antithetical to yours, you can say the word "enemy". DUmmy ret5hd Fri Aug 24, 2018, 05:10 PM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Power CUer SVPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    10,998
    Quote Originally Posted by Banacek View Post
    Boeingís safety analysis of 737 MAX flight control had crucial flaws: Seattle Times

    https://www.oann.com/boeings-safety-...seattle-times/

    The Best Analysis Of What Really Happened To The Boeing 737 Max From A Pilot & Software Engineer

    I don't know if its the best analysis but it seems to be inline with the Boeing story above

    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...tware-engineer
    This should be a separate thread, IMO. The C-46 is a military tanker aircraft based on the 767, and the 737 MAX 8 is civilian.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

    BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

    Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    53,998
    Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    This should be a separate thread, IMO. The C-46 is a military tanker aircraft based on the 767, and the 737 MAX 8 is civilian.

    Done!
    May the FORCE be with you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •