Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Suspicious - two fires at two plants in two days 
    Deer Park officials are warning residents to shelter in place as the city declares a fire at a petrochemicals terminal an emergency.
    "City of Deer Park issuing SHELTER-IN-PLACE emergency in Deer Park," the city wrote in a tweet at 8:58 a.m. "Please take immediate action and seek shelter."

Over four hours later, the fire remained uncontrolled.

In addition, State Highway 225 was closed Sunday afternoon in both directions from Beltway 8 to Independence Parkway, which also remains closed near the facility, according to the La Porte Office of Emergency Management.

The fire is at Intercontinental Terminals Company Deer Park, located at 1943 Independence Parkway in Deer Park, Texas. It started at 10 a.m., according to a tweet by Harris County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management.

Only on HoustonChronicle.com: Experimental Texas power plant aims to make electricity cheaper, cleaner

The ITC Deer Park terminal has 13.1 million barrels of capacity, which it uses to store various petrochemical liquids and gases, including fuel oil and bunker oil, according to the ITC website.

Officials said a chemical tank had caught fire. Pasadena and Harris County Pollution Control are conducting air monitoring.

The Deer Park facility is the second to catch fire in as many days. Saturday, there was a fire at an ExxonMobil plant in Baytown.

A fire that broke out Saturday afternoon at Exxon Mobil's Baytown refinery has been contained by emergency officials.

No injuries were reported, according to a statement from company spokesperson Sarah Nordin.

The company was monitoring air quality but said they did not yet see evidence of "adverse impact."

The blaze broke out around 12:30 p.m., affecting a unit that the company said processes motor gasoline. It sent a thick cloud of dark smoke into the sky, captured in videos posted to social media.

Exxon and La Porte Office of Emergency Management officials both said that there was no need to find shelter-in-place locations.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

The Deer Park fire won't be self-extinguished till Wednesday, according to OANN. That's very unusual for 'authorities' to make an announcement like that. It may have a calming effect on residents... but you don't want to jinx anything either. Just say: " It's under control and should be extinguished in a matter of hours. "

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac shark View Post
    .......Just say: " It's under control and should be extinguished in a matter of hours. "
    Then get called for lying two days later when its still burning. It may not be out Wed.

It started with one tank and spread to six more by morning. As of 6 tonight they had one tank out, three smoldering with repeated flame-ups and three in full flame.

Fires growing, a minimum of six tanks currently burning, maybe more. Fire is larger than it has been since it began.

What is burning?
    Naphtha
    Xylene
    Toluene

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    It looked like they were making progress
    and then it just took off again.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Fires growing, a minimum of six tanks currently burning, maybe more. Fire is larger than it has been since it began.

What is burning?
    Naphtha
    Xylene
    Toluene
    Most likely toluene, since it's an epoxy-resin. So slow burning.

Two additional chemical tanks caught fire overnight at Intercontinental Terminals Co. in Deer Park after water pressure dropped, the company said.
    The fire, which had been contained to six storage tanks late Monday, had spread to eight by 2:30 a.m., the company said. Two of the tanks were empty, ITC said.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac shark View Post
    Most likely toluene, since it's an epoxy-resin. So slow burning.
    All three as they are aware of what each tank contains.

Toxic Chemical Inferno Threatens Houston Area As Black Plume Extends For Miles

The petrochemical fire that has been raging out of control at an oil storage facility in Deer Park, Texas since Sunday is now impacting the greater Houston area by what's been described as a "plume of thick, black smoke [which] for a third day intensified overnight as pungent fumes pervaded neighborhoods more than 20 miles away," according to Bloomberg and local reports.

The fire which has consumed highly flammable chemical tanks at the Intercontinental Terminals Company oil plant about 15 miles (24 kilometers) southeast of Houston remains "uncontrolled" according to local officials.

The petrochemical fire had triggered a "shelter-in-place" warning for area residents on Sunday, who were further advised by Deer Park city officials to close air ventilation systems in their homes and close all windows.

Disturbingly, a black plume has settled over downtown Houston and has now reportedly made its way to the city's northside. Bloomberg cited one local woman who noted, "You can really smell and taste it now."

According to prior local reports, the initial chemical tanks that caught fire were known to contain a highly flammable liquid hydrocarbon mixture called naphtha, which is often used as a raw material for production and conversion to gasoline
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...-extends-miles
    Unknown philosopher at a St. Patrick's Day celebration 1967

1 beer between 3 guys is better than no beers between no guys

Now 8 tanks burning and a professional fire team called in. They are having problems as different methods are needed over different tanks on fire. They are declaring an offensive attack on the fire but reports still claim the fires will burn until all fuel is gone.

I am still suspicious of the two fires in two days.