Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Putting American flags on police cars sparks backlash in Laguna Beach 
    A decision to affix an American flag graphic to the side of freshly painted Laguna Beach police cars is dividing residents who are alternately praising the image as patriotic or panning it as too aggressive.

After hearing the criticism and acknowledging that the image they approved didn’t quite match the final results, officials agreed to reconsider their February decision to paint the Laguna Beach Police Department’s fleet of 11 squad cars. The City Council will take up the issue again at its Tuesday meeting.

“People are screaming that the American flag on a police car is somehow or another ... hurting people’s feelings who might be immigrants or visitors,” said Councilman Peter Blake. “People are actually ridiculous enough to bring up comments about our cop cars having American flags on them.”
    https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...413-story.html

I'm sick and tired of people putting down our Flag or saying we should not proudly display it because it may offend immigrants or visitors. If our Flag and culture offend them so much, then DON'T FUCKING COME TO THE UNITED STATES!!! If you stand on the U.S/mexican border in San Ysidro, CA, you can't help but see a huge mexican flag that is flying in a traffic circle located less than a mile from the border. What about that offending Americans looking south in their own Country? How about protesters marching for immigrant "rights" who routinely fly the mexican flag during their demonstrations? That highly offends me to see in my own home Country. When does this pandering to non Americans stop?

Artist Carrie Woodburn went to the podium at the March 19 council meeting and said it was “shocking to see the boldness of the design” when the newly painted Ford Explorers rolled out.

We have such an amazing community of artists here, and I thought the aesthetic didn’t really represent our community,” Woodburn said. “It feels very aggressive.
    My daily commute takes me up Pacific Coast Highway directly thru Laguna Beach and there are a few businesses that fly the gay pride flag. I find that aggressive and offensive as a straight male but I keep my comments to myself and understand freedom of expression.

"People who think they know it all, are annoying to those of us who really do".... Pyro Bob

"Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

"Enemy. The word you are looking for is enemy. When the ideals of someone are antithetical to yours, you can say the word "enemy". DUmmy ret5hd Fri Aug 24, 2018, 05:10 PM

I am deeply offended by people who are offended by symbols of patriotism, our history and free speech.
    The United States Navy, fighting Moslem barbarians since 1801.

Friday, on the way out here to New Orleans, I saw police cars in Beaumont, Texas with In God We Trust across the back bumper. That ought to piss some people off..

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I'm sick and tired of people putting down our Flag or saying we should not proudly display it because it may offend immigrants or visitors.

Same here, fuck em.
    May the FORCE be with you!

From the link in the OP;
    “People are screaming that the American flag on a police car is somehow or another ... hurting people’s feelings who might be immigrants or visitors,” said Councilman Peter Blake. “People are actually ridiculous enough to bring up comments about our cop cars having American flags on them.”
    I keep hearing about how people are offended by flag images, but it is usually people who complain about the complainers, I've rarely ever heard of an actual complaint by the people who are allegedly offended. Is this like the imaginary war on Christmas that happened several years ago?

So who are these people that Blake is referring to?

Attorney Jennifer Welsh Zeiter said at the last council meeting that she found the police cars “exceptional” and questioned the loyalty of anyone who objected to the American flag display.

“They are so filled with hatred toward this ... office of the president of the United States and the current occupant of that office,” she said, “that they cannot see through their current biases to realize that a police vehicle with the American flag is the ultimate American expression.”
    Too bad she could not name anyone who actually was offended by the flag. A person can object to a color or design scheme for reasons not related to the flag or patriotism.

Artist Carrie Woodburn went to the podium at the March 19 council meeting and said it was “shocking to see the boldness of the design” when the newly painted Ford Explorers rolled out.

“We have such an amazing community of artists here, and I thought the aesthetic didn’t really represent our community,” Woodburn said. “It feels very aggressive.”
    This artist felt the design was too bold. It seems they were going to a more subtle image.

Laguna Beach Police Cpl. Ryan Hotchkiss, president of the Laguna Beach Police Employees Assn., said he had received only positive feedback.

“Every time I came to a stop sign, every time I came to a red light, somebody is telling me the car looks great,” Hotchkiss said at the March meeting. “Every one of our members that drives the car loves it, and we look forward to keeping them the way they are.”
    This police officer has only received positive feedback. So where are the anti-American flag protesters now?
    My gun collection has killed at least five fewer people than the Kennedy clan has with airplanes, automobiles and golf clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
    From the link in the OP;

I keep hearing about how people are offended by flag images, but it is usually people who complain about the complainers, I've rarely ever heard of an actual complaint by the people who are allegedly offended. Is this like the imaginary war on Christmas that happened several years ago?

Too bad she could not name anyone who actually was offended by the flag. A person can object to a color or design scheme for reasons not related to the flag or patriotism.

This artist felt the design was too bold. It seems they were going to a more subtle image.

This police officer has only received positive feedback. So where are the anti-American flag protesters now?

Interesting extrapolation. Because you haven't heard anyone complain then it must be a myth. A rather small sampling of data you're basing this on wouldn't you agree?
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Interesting extrapolation. Because you haven't heard anyone complain then it must be a myth. A rather small sampling of data you're basing this on wouldn't you agree?
    So you have something concrete? If you do then I'd like to see it. If not then it seems I am still limited to only hearing people complain about those who don't like the flag.
    My gun collection has killed at least five fewer people than the Kennedy clan has with airplanes, automobiles and golf clubs.

How ironic. This seems like a false narrative. Hence, someone suggests (or pretends to be) their offended, but the person who attempts to make more of this cannot provide any details on numbers of complaints, or what the complainer finds offensive etc... A baseless assertion to further demonize and degrade our Great Country and to provide a basis to remove the American flag.

Too bad. I am offended, people who willingly and desire to come this country and then find the symbol of freedom and liberty offensive can turn right back around and leave. Either adopt our values, customs and become what it is to be an American or just get out. There is no room for anything less.

Proud to be an American!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So you have something concrete? If you do then I'd like to see it. If not then it seems I am still limited to only hearing people complain about those who don't like the flag.
    here you go.

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmat...kuuK8Qi5MUK0g/

https://www.faithfamilyamerica.com/n..._is_everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbEhnVMWh-8

http://conservativeworlddaily.com/of...nds-with-this/
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22

Power CUer

...This police officer has only received positive feedback. So where are the anti-American flag protesters now?
    Too bad you stopped at the article, Ranb and didn't look at the comment section:

Holy Toledo

Equal protection under the law. If I was non-white, I would be concerned that these cops were anti-immigrant with this logo. I think this is the issue in a nutshell. Cops should appear as neutral refs on the street.

StableGenius
    4 hour(s) ago
    With its sloganeering, flag waving and false patriotism, there's no positive reason to visit Laguna Beach.

kingdnile
    6 hour(s) ago
    I have watched over the years, on my own street, the flag (s) being used as intimidation. Let me explain. On Presidents’ Day...fourth of July etc..there are several neighbors, that put out the American flag. Since about 2006, some neighbors started putting out (another countries flag.). The people who only occasionally, put out the American flag, now leave it up permanately. As do the others, with their countries flag. Smh, none of the neighbors communicate with each other, for over 20 years. Me, I talk to everybody, but the vibe on the street is stifling.

So here is some negative reaction for you. Laguna Beach is in southern Orange County, which is more conservative (and affluent). This is why so many of the reactions were positive.