1. #1 Jackie Robinson day 
    1947: Jackie Robinson, baseballís first black major league player, made his official debut with the Brooklyn Dodgers on opening day at Ebbets Field.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

I forgot about that.

It was an easy business-decision, looking back. He could field, run, throw, and hit a major-league curve.

White (opposing-team) fans had to learn how to publicly heckle a black player. And they by-and-large did an okay job of it.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac shark View Post
    I forgot about that.

It was an easy business-decision, looking back. He could field, run, throw, and hit a major-league curve.

White (opposing-team) fans had to learn how to publicly heckle a black player. And they by-and-large did an okay job of it.
    Duke Snider also debuted that day, another hall of famer.

Difficult to tell the truth from fiction, but have read & heard that baseball was the sport he excelled at least. Behind track and field and football.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Duke Snider also debuted that day, another hall of famer.

Difficult to tell the truth from fiction, but have read & heard that baseball was the sport he excelled at least. Behind track and field and football.
    He had a reservoir of power, but the Dodgers were more about pitching and lucky-- I mean balance. I think they usually had Snider batting behind Reese, Robinson, and Gilliam. With Campenella batting behind Snider. They had to pitch to 'im. That's why his stats were pretty good.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac shark View Post
    He had a reservoir of power, but the Dodgers were more about pitching and lucky-- I mean balance. I think they usually had Snider batting behind Reese, Robinson, and Gilliam. With Campenella batting behind Snider. They had to pitch to 'im. That's why his stats were pretty good.
    Campy was certainly no slouch himself.

There are a plethora of books about the three New York teams from the 40's/50's/60's. Impossible to read them all but I've been through several of them. Some are interesting, but given the media conglomerate in NYC it is pretty natural to glamorize that era.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Campy was certainly no slouch himself.

There are a plethora of books about the three New York teams from the 40's/50's/60's. Impossible to read them all but I've been through several of them. Some are interesting, but given the media conglomerate in NYC it is pretty natural to glamorize that era.
    Ahh, yessss... the world of sports. Where a young kid goes to learn about the rudimentary manifestations of media bias.