Thread: Somali Pirates

1. #1 Somali Pirates 
    Over the week leading up to New Year, Somali Pirates have attempted to seize 4 large ships, one a Greek tanker. This is happening even with the beefed up security in the region. So far the French, Yes the French, are one of the only goverments, along with India, showing any backbone. Even then, the pirates captured are being turned over to Somalia for disposition. Probably back on the water in a few hours.
    Most Navies, by policy, will leave pirates un-molested if they turn away from the attack or maintain their distance. Some even have the policy of no interference unless the pirates are in physical contact with a vessel, in otherwords, it's to late, there are now hostages.
    I believe it's time to attack and destroy any pirate vessel on the water. If there base can be bombed, destroy the boats they have available to them. Any pirates caught should be turned over to the courts of the attacked country, or at least tried in International court. Actually, I have an even better idea of what to do with them, but it's not politically correct.
    What's your take on this situation?

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    What you say makes sense, I just have no clue what international law says about acts of piracy on the high seas. I saw video of teh French marines (I guess they were marines) boarding a small vessel searching for weapons. They didn't find any but any weapons could have easily been dropped overboard before they got close.

The dilema I guess is actually proving they are pirates.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    What you say makes sense, I just have no clue what international law says about acts of piracy on the high seas. I saw video of teh French marines (I guess they were marines) boarding a small vessel searching for weapons. They didn't find any but any weapons could have easily been dropped overboard before they got close.

The dilema I guess is actually proving they are pirates.
    Give them the Float test .If they float then they are pirates if not let them go !