Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 US Navy Ship Quarantined at Sea 
    The USS Fort McHenry, a dock landing ship, has been stuck at sea for months, along with hundreds of Marines and sailors aboard after dozens of crew members contracted mumps. The ship remains quarantined as officials with the Navy and Marines Corps Public Health Center conduct an in-depth epidemiological investigation.

The cases began to surface in December after the ship departed Mayport Naval Station in Florida. Although that was the last time at port, “the point of origin has not yet been determined,” the Fifth Fleet noted.

The Navy’s Bureau of Medicine and Surgery (BUMED) explained to Business Insider that “based on clinical presentation and laboratory testing, these cases are currently classified as probable cases of mumps,” one of a number of illnesses that all US military personnel are vaccinated against.

Every single person aboard the USS Fort McHenry has been vaccinated against this virus, yet dozens have been infected. Even after more booster vaccines were administered, more cases of the vaccine-preventable virus appeared
    https://thefreethoughtproject.com/us...a-vaccination/
    Unknown philosopher at a St. Patrick's Day celebration 1967

1 beer between 3 guys is better than no beers between no guys

hmmm This does not sound good.

Mutated virus?
    Biological warfare?
    We are on the brink of an adventure children. Don't ruin it with to many questions.
    -Mary Poppins

I dream of the day a chicken can cross the road without it's motives being questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rick View Post
    hmmm This does not sound good.

Mutated virus?
    Biological warfare?
    Mumps - the destroyer of sperm production in adult males.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    "The Navy's position is that vaccines are effective at reducing the incidence and severity of vaccine-preventable diseases," BUMED told BI. Unfortunately, "the mumps portion of the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine is the least effective of the three components, providing 88% effectiveness after completion of the two dose series."

While outbreaks of influenza and other common illnesses occur every year aboard Navy vessels, the situation on the Fort McHenry is unusual, the Navy explained. "It is not common for us to see outbreaks of vaccine-preventable viral infections."

It is difficult to know how long the Fort McHenry's ongoing quarantine at sea will last as a situation like this cannot be considered fully resolved until two full incubation periods have passed without incident. "This ensures that the virus is no longer spreading, as infected individuals sometimes show no symptoms of illness," BUMED said.

For the mumps, the incubation period is 25 days, so it will be another 50 days after the last affected servicemember recovers before the Navy can declare the situation under control.
    This is damn weird.

LINK
    May the FORCE be with you!

Actions have consequences. Anti-vaxxers persuaded parent not to vaccinate, and now their kids have gone to where vaccinations are uncommon. The only surprise in this is that we have not heard of such things before. Somehow I suspect it has, but this is getting attention because it happened in the context of the current measles outbreak. This was utterly predictable, no need to go into tinfoil-hat-mode.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

"Handmaid's Tale" is Christian-Bashing Hate Speech

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    Actions have consequences. Anti-vaxxers persuaded parent not to vaccinate, and now their kids have gone to where vaccinations are uncommon. The only surprise in this is that we have not heard of such things before. Somehow I suspect it has, but this is getting attention because it happened in the context of the current measles outbreak. This was utterly predictable, no need to go into tinfoil-hat-mode.
    I’m only asking because I never served in the military. Wouldn’t all of the i’s and t’s be dotted and crossed on that front? In other words, wouldn’t the US military know your history or lack of when it comes to vaccinations? It seems as if they would, but I really don’t know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tecate View Post
    I’m only asking because I never served in the military. Wouldn’t all of the i’s and t’s be dotted and crossed on that front? In other words, wouldn’t the US military know your history or lack of when it comes to vaccinations? It seems as if they would, but I really don’t know.
    We got a buttload of vaccinations in basic training but I dont remember exactly what they were, then once on active duty we got booster shots prior to the possibility of a deployment to a foreign country. I dont recall providing my recruiter my vaccination records prior to joining up, but that was 40 years ago and you tend to forget small details like that

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

"Enemy. The word you are looking for is enemy. When the ideals of someone are antithetical to yours, you can say the word "enemy". DUmmy ret5hd Fri Aug 24, 2018, 05:10 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Dlr Pyro View Post
    We got a buttload of vaccinations in basic training but I dont remember exactly what they were, then once on active duty we got booster shots prior to the possibility of a deployment to a foreign country. I dont recall providing my recruiter my vaccination records prior to joining up, but that was 40 years ago and you tend to forget small details like that

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    During the early 1980’s my father traveled to different countries in Asia on business. I remember, he was put through the ringer with vaccines and medical tests before he could go. It may have been a requirement for a visa at the time. It was a long time ago. I’ll have to ask him about it.

Well, since AIDS has been blessed with “CIVIL RIGHTS”, certainly all the other diseases should be so blessed.
    After all, we are a “progressive” society!!!

Banned
    When I enlisted in the USN I provided my vaccination record, I got few shots in boot camp as a result. All Sailors get complete vaccinations as far as I know.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/uss-...utbreak-2019-3
    As of Saturday, 27 sailors and Marines aboard the dock landing ship USS Fort McHenry have been diagnosed with parotitis, which the Navy described in a statement earlier this month as a "viral infection which has symptoms similar to mumps."
    Maybe it is a new strain of mumps?

For the mumps, the incubation period is 25 days, so it will be another 50 days after the last affected servicemember recovers before the Navy can declare the situation under control.
    The above article is from 29, March. So it will be a while before those guys set foot on land.