1. #1 Reading Mao: The Unknown Story 
    I struggle reading fiction, and I've been on a history kick recently so I decided to pick up Mao: The Unknown Story the other day to learn more about frankly something I don't know much about.

I hear about Mao and the great famine, and how under his dictatorship he led to as much if not more devastation than Stalin and Hitler. But if that's the case how on earth am I not more educated on this man? On China as a whole, and how the communist party got started there?

Well there's only one way to remedy this situation, and that's to educate myself and read. Yesterday I listened to 4 hours of the audiobook, which is the equivalent of 86 pages. I paused a couple of times to take notes and later do some outside research on a couple of key points that stuck out to me. What I found was that it's *really* difficult to find details on the subject.

I plan on taking my time, and digging deep to not just gloss over the book, but to have a deeper understanding on Mao and the communist roots of China. Just wanted to share the start of the journey with you all.

If there's interest I'll make more threads as I read on so we can discuss this important moment in history.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I've been reading a lot of history lately as well. I'm kind of stuck on the period between the rise of Sumer and the end of Assyria. I am finding so much I didn't know.
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22

I remember when Mao died, I was in 7th grade and our teachers were talking about it in class.

I think part of the reason history is not as harsh on Mao as on Hitler and Stalin is that even before Mao and communism, China was a secretive society. Communism didn't exactly open it up, Mao didn't want the west to know what was going on inside the country.

Nixon opened up relations with China, but they were still a secretive country. They still are about some things, but modern technology and China's desire to be a world economic power have changed that to a degree. They want people from other countries to see the order and technology of their country, but they don't want anyone looking at how they treat people of religious faith of any kind(not just Christians, but Muslims and that Falung Gong group that did the mass group meditations a few years back). Or at how they treat Chinese citizens who don't agree with the political system there.

I not only am old enough to remember Mao's death, I am old enough that I will never forget watching the Chinese military attack the Tiannaman Square protests a few decades ago. They massacred the protestors live on international television and didn't give one f@#k about who was watching them. I think they totally regret that image getting out now-I don't think they necessarily regret the action that was taken, though, just how the rest of the world saw it uncensored.

Growing-up in the 50's the most I remember about Mao were from political-cartoons. His head-and-hair were often shaped like a mushrooming nuclear-cloud.

" Mom, why are they called cartoons if they're not funny? "

" They're political. They're not supposed to be funny. But sometimes they're very funny. "

China was just a closed society. I knew what 'Sino' was. The real name for 'the Chinese'. I learned that from Terry And The Pirates, who operated from a 'junk' in territorial waters...

Then there was Gene Barry in Hong Kong Confidential, where I learned that Mao had an espionage-ring like everybody else.

Those were some of the tidbits I picked-up early on. I had no real interest in Mao bio-material.

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    How now Mao?
    "If the Bible is true why don't we have any urns or vessels that like say expires 6/15/300 BC on the bottom?"
    Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    How now Mao?
    This is what Elizabeth Warren wants to know.
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22

More on the current situation than historical but the April 9th 2016 CPDC (Committee on the Present Danger: China) Conference is FANTASTIC. It's all on youtube; the whole 2hr10min conference or individual videos of the speakers about 12 minutes each. Speakers include Gordon Chang, Newt Gingrich, Steve Bannon, Ted Cruz and others. They address the economic, information and kinetic aspects of the current Chinese WAR against America and the West.
    Last edited by old dog; 05-01-2019 at 12:29 AM.
    The United States Navy, fighting Moslem barbarians since 1801.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ (and bring body bags)