Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Saturday Getaways... 
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Foggy and cool here on The Mountain. Rain for the last few days and probably today and tomorrow.

We'll be doing some household projects today. Nothing major. Everything indoors. We'll watch some football and relax afterward.

I did some planning for our vacation this year. Usually in a year we get two one week vacations, which is nice, and a few long weekends. In 2008 we didn't really have much of a getaway because of things going on, but I hope 2009 is a better year.

We live in the mountains of northern Georgia and I do love this part of the country. When we go on vacation, we like to go to the beach. Sometimes we go to Daytona. sometimes to St. Augustine. Sometimes to the Gulf coast.

But our favorite place to go is Edisto Island SC. Specifically, to Edisto Beach.

This is basically the view from the unit in which we stay:

There is a state park at the northern end of Edisto Beach, but we stay at the southern tip of the island. We do a lot of cycling when we're there. We also eat shrimp and seafood and go to Piggly Wiggly and the Sea Cow and other local spots. We don't plan anything but arriving and departing and just hang loose and enjoy the island.

TOTD: What's your plan for vacation this year?
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Cool here in North Florida with nice weather for the day. Looks like no rain until Monday.

TOTD: I generally don't make vacation plans very far in advance. I tend to play things by ear and then take time off when work allows. I would, however, like to go to Colorado and Wyoming this year (provided Yellowstone leaves us with a Colorado and Wyoming). I haven't been there in about 13 years and would really like to see the Rockies again.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

It's going to reach the high 50's today. It's cloudy and foggy, but pleasant. Naturally there's another cold front waiting in the wings, due to hit us in the early hours of Sunday.

TOTD: We got tickets to Hannity's Freedom Concert in San Diego. So we'll be heading to the left coast early August. SR had a bunch of American Express frequent flyer miles that have been piling up. We learned how tricky it is to cash them in, even though he had a choice of airlines.

We couldn't get anything to San Diego, even this far in advance. We were fine getting to Denver or whatever gateway city they used. It was just that connecting flight to San Diego that made it impossible. Sooo, I got the idea of flying to LAX. Bingo, we got the tickets.

Any west coasties know how long it will take us to drive to San Diego from LA? At least it should be a pretty drive along the coast. I'm hoping this wasn't too stupid of an idea on my part. Oh, well, just so we make it to the concert in time.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    We'd like to go to San Diego. I've never been west of Poverty Point Louisiana.

As I've said before, I'm bi-coastal if you consider the Mississippi River to be one of the coasts. :D
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Power CUer
    Plans for vacation this year are, so far, an Alaska cruise in May. Haven't decided what to do for the autumn vacation; winter of next year I want to go back to Paris to see the insides of the museums we missed in April of '07; the weather was so beautiful in Paris then, we spent all of our time outside.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Well, my 50th birthday is this March so me and three close friends are taking a roadtrip to somewhere I've never been before for a weekend of drunken revelry....

Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

I'm a bit of gambler myself.

I might try Tunica this year.....or I might end up back in Biloxi.

I've heard Reno/Tahoe is nice.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

We are going to SanDiego in February for to do Legoland and Sea World, and then Pennsylvania for a week in July and a week in August on the Olympic penninsula in Washington.

Yesterday we hit 70, today is a little cooler, with the high of 60...with temps in the 60's to continue for the next week.

Today is the first day of my three day weekend. :)

TOTD: My life is a vacation. Happily single with no kids, I live where it is warm and lots of things to see and do.

TOTD: Well, there's my family's annual vacation to Canada.