1. #1 I don't think Biden's GOP-will-get-sane statement is as naive as it sounds... 
    link

First Speaker (2,780 posts)

I don't think Biden's GOP-will-get-sane statement is as naive as it sounds...

...he hasn't forgotten what happened in the Obama years, especially Merrick Garland. But he's trying to appeal to the sane conservatives and independents, the people in the center-right who are, at bottom, susceptible to facts and empirical reality. If Biden can slice off just a couple million of those people, his victory next November is assured.

Right. VOTE FOR ME. When a DEMOCRAT is the President we'll stop acting like jack*sses and then Republicans can "work" with us. Then there'll be no more chaos. No more obstruction. Vote for the DEMOCRAT and we won't have to act like jack*sses trying to get our way.

Still In Wisconsin (3,940 posts)

1. Maybe I'm totally naive, but I believe this may be about more than just getting elected.

As much as we might want to eliminate the Republican Party sometimes (maybe most of the time) we aren't ever going to . I think Joe may be saying here (paraphrasing) that a best-case scenario might be for the Republican Party to become sane again. This way, government can function again. I almost always disagree with the Republicans but I'm 54 and for a good part of my life they were wrong but (in my opinion) acted more or less in good faith most of the time. That's obviously not the case lately, but there was a time...
    Why should the Republicans act any different than the Democrats are acting NOW?

LuvNewcastle (9,919 posts)

3. I agree.

There are some Republicans out there who can see what a monster Donald is. You never know when you might need some of them in order to get something important accomplished. Democrats need to be seen as the reasonable people. That's what the country needs. Going all scorched-earth on the GOP will not help at all.
    Who's going to break it to the Democrats that the previous 3 years has totally destroyed ANY POSSIBILITY that the Democrats can or will be seen as "the reasonable people"?

There's hundreds of examples. The clearest one is the DEMAND that Attorney General Barr either break the law and give them the unredacted grand jury information from the Mueller report or be voted/labeled in contempt of congress.

They're just as unhinged and delusional as ever.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Translation: Orange man bad, when he's out of office, the Republicans will be spineless wimps as the country desperately desires.

Which is utter bullshit.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

The libs should keep in mind that right now they are writing the book and setting the bar on how the GOP should deal with future Democrat Presidents.
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    The libs should keep in mind that right now they are writing the book and setting the bar on how the GOP should deal with future Democrat Presidents.
    THIS ^^^^^^