Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Black women are tired of explaining to white women why they should care about everyon 
    link

EffieBlack (13,411 posts)

Black women are tired of explaining to white women why they should care about everyone's interest

not just what they think of as their own and then, after they ignore us for the unpteenth time and the people they put into office (even though we begged them not to) trample all over them (and us), we have to listen to them carry on about how victimized they are and how WE must all wake up and do something about it because OMG! LOOK at how it's affecting THEM (when the black WEs and plenty of our white female sisters have been working our asses off to do something about it all along).

When will these women finally get it through their heads that they must look beyond the narrow self-interests they think are enough to sustain and protect them and start caring about people other than themselves?

When will they start voting as if it matters to them that poor or minority or immigrant women aren't marginalized and abused by the people they keep supporting because tax cuts or property taxes or school vouchers or Hillary's emails or hair or ambition or something - only to find that those same people have no qualms about turning on THEM, too?

When will they start listening to and working with black women BEFORE they get smacked upside the head with the white male fundamentalist 2 x 4 they thought of other people were going to be subjected to?

Maybe now that they see what's happening in Alabama and Georgia and Ohio and elsewhere, they'll wake up and get with the program.

But I thought that every other time we've had a wave of this kind of anti-woman legislation. But every time, the minute the controversy dies down, my hopes are crushed as I watch these very same supposedly newly-woke women turn away and line right back up again with and stand behind the men who are doing this to us - and give them the votes they need to keep on doing it.

So, I don't have much hope - but I'll still keep trying because that's what we do.
    Right. I, as a white woman, is supposed to vote for what is supposedly in "everyone's interest" (IE DEMOCRATS) because to not do so is selfish or bad or something.

Fail. I don't believe that what Democrats believe or their liberal agenda is in "everyone's interest". They vote that way because they are selfish and want their narrow self interests fulfilled.
    WhiskeyGrinder (5,208 posts)

1. They will do so only when they confront, wrestle with and dismantle their own inherent racism, which

tells them lies about how aligning themselves with white men will save them in the end. Only when they understand that their own status is a lagging indicator, and that black women are leading indicators. Only when they understand that their whiteness -- a construct in itself -- will not protect them. That's all, but it's a big one.
    *snort* And they'll keep losing conservative women when they spout this nonsense.

pazzyanne (2,405 posts)

13. Conservative white women like having a man in their lives,

who makes all of their decisions and takes care of them. They look down on independent women and the men who support them. There is no more biased group for women than white conservative women, and they do not care who knows it. I do not think that they will ever face their own inherent racism and misogyny.
    More nonsense.
    Ohiogal (9,347 posts)

3. Please don't lump us all together in this regard!

Granted, there are enough white women (especially older) who are selfish, short-sighted bigots. But there are many of us out there like me who are the exact opposite. The ones like me donate to PP, vote Democratic, write letters to our lawmakers, and participate in Women’s Marches. I saw plenty of white women in the last couple of Women’s Marches.
    WhiskeyGrinder (5,208 posts)

4. If the OP isn't about you, it isn't about you. But there is definitely a problem with white women.

The majority of white women voters have gone for the Republican presidential candidate in every election since 1964. It's hard for white women to confront their inherent racism, because white hegemony benefits them in a lot of ways -- who wants to give up their white privilege? The problem is, many white women don't even want to leverage their white privilege, much less dismantle it -- and I include Democrats, liberals and other people who would describe themselves as allies in that statement.

ETA: I encourage you to rethink your use of "not all..." and determine why you feel the need to tell people that the OP doesn't apply to you.
    Right. Many white women have conservative values. Jack*sses can't accept that THEY are out of the mainstream so they claim oh so self righteously that it's because they're RAAAACIST. If ONLY they weren't RAAAACIST they'd vote for Democrats.

And that attitude is just ONE more reason NOT to vote for Democrats.

TygrBright (17,184 posts)

15. Thank you. Yes. Keep trying. You are having an effect.

It would be wonderful if all of us white women could make the connection on the first try. But the conditioning is fierce, and the power of "part-privilege" is fierce.

(When white privilege is your only privilege, it's pretty damn' tempting to prioritize it above ending the oppression of your female status, especially with a patriarchy so deeply dug in and a whole culture reinforcing it.)

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Women of color are the best hope we have for a better future.

And everything you say is true. Slowly, little by little, it IS sinking in. More and more white women are seeing the connections.

I know it feels like you're doing the heavy lifting.

And you ARE.

And I'm grateful and will do everything I can to help.

Keep the faith, please.

We ARE sisters.

gratefully,
    Bright
    There's nothing wrong with Black Women, but this attitude is nothing but crap prettied up with a bow.

Black women are tired of explaining to white women why they should care about everyone's interest
    Whatever. My Give-A-Shit got clubbed out of me by race-baiters like EffieBlack.

When will these women finally get it through their heads that they must look beyond the narrow self-interests they think are enough to sustain and protect them and start caring about people other than themselves?
    Follow your own advice. Stop thinking about race in terms of skin color and join the human race.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Power CUer
    When will Black women start thinking about others instead of their own narrow interests?

In my lived experience, Black women care ONLY about their own narrow interests. It is White women who are practically self-immolating in the service of "anti-racism". It is White women who are designing programs to help "men of color" succeed in school. It is White women, who by and large, are screaming in the streets to back Black Lies Matter and Antifa, even when certain Black Hollywood stars mock them for doing so. It is White women who stop their own marches because there aren't enough "women of color."

Seems to me, White women do all the heavy lifting. If you look historically, it is WHITE women who were the backbone of the anti-slavery abolitionist movement. It was White women who supported the Civil Rights movement. White feminists have been the allies of Black America, even to the point of allowing a guilty black domestic abuser and murderer walk free without comment and censuring feminists who did speak out.

In other words, White women have been giving out political and social "welfare payments" but have received nothing in return. Black women are good at taking the "emotional labor" of White women, but are lousy at returning it. Meanwhile, any movement for women on either side of the aisle has to acknowledge black women because "slavery" (which has been outlawed for over a century and a half) despite the fact that fewer than 5% of the White women in this country have ANY genetic connection to slaveholding Southerners of over 159 years ago.

Why should the 95% of White women--most coming as poor immigrants from countries like Ireland, Italy, Russia, Poland, and the Ukraine where they were starving--pay the price for historical personages long dead and a practice that was outlawed when or before their families arrived here?

They answer is that they shouldn't.

If Black women want to continue to try and guilt White women, good luck. Many of us will just smile at you and continue to vote for Trump.

sounds like someone is tired of blacksplaining how it 'posed to be to whitey.
    "People who think they know it all, are annoying to those of us who really do".... Pyro Bob

"Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

"Enemy. The word you are looking for is enemy. When the ideals of someone are antithetical to yours, you can say the word "enemy". DUmmy ret5hd Fri Aug 24, 2018, 05:10 PM

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlr Pyro View Post
    Actually, it's a rewriting of history and an UTTER denial of everything that White women have done for Black America, from the abolitionist movement onwards.

See my post above.

Fuck you , fuck your kids , fuck your future.

Vote MY INTERESTS , not your's.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlr Pyro View Post
    After a couple of decades of seeing/hearing the Race Card played against good people, I no longer care. I'm more inclined to disbelieve than to believe an accusation of racism. I do not like that, because it should not be that way. But mine is a rational response to the proliferation of false accusations, not a racist response to people of any ethnic background or a blanket denial that racism persists.

If I see actual racism, I'll call it out. And if and when the "black community" and "Hispanic community" and etc. deal with their false-accusing race-baiters I'll be less skeptical of claims of racism. Sadly, as much as I'd welcome it and love my expectation to be proven wrong, I do not expect that to happen within my lifespan.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    pazzyanne (2,405 posts)

who makes all of their decisions and takes care of them. They look down on independent women and the men who support them. There is no more biased group for women than white conservative women, and they do not care who knows it. I do not think that they will ever face their own inherent racism and misogyny.
    Seriously, what the fuck? I'm not aware of any conservative married or seriously committed female who thinks in such a way.

DUmmies gotta live in their delusional world I suppose.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Seriously, what the fuck? I'm not aware of any conservative married or seriously committed female who thinks in such a way.

They refuse to accept that thinking logical people could disagree with them. They're arrogant, narcissistic and have a attitude of smug superiority. So they have to come up with idiotic reasons like this. They also think that "shaming" people works (it doesn't) so they try it every chance they can.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    pazzyanne (2,405 posts)

I don't have one of those "Conservative white women" - I am married, my wife is conservative, but she is not the kind of pathetic doormat pazzyanne created in her imagination. For which I'm grateful. Further, I know more than a few married "Conservative white women", and none are like that.

Until DU-grade Proggies can bring themselves to admit that someone who disagrees with them can be both intelligent and a decent human being, Proggies will continue to be their own greatest ideological enemy.