1. #1 Who would have thought ? 
    ESPN President Admits Political Commentary Killed Network With Viewers, Vows Change

ESPN President Jimmy Pitaro admitted in a Los Angeles Times profile this weekend that the social justice bent his network had taken in the era of President Trump hurt them with viewers.

“Without question our data tells us our fans do not want us to cover politics,” Pitaro confessed. “My job is to provide clarity. I really believe that some of our talent was confused on what was expected of them.”

In other words, shut up and analyze the dribbling.

The LA Times also notes that Pitaro has addressed traditional fans of the network by “steering commentators away from political discussions,” something that heightened during the battle between the President and NFL players protesting the national anthem
    https://thepoliticalinsider.com/espn...s-vows-change/
    Unknown philosopher at a St. Patrick's Day celebration 1967

1 beer between 3 guys is better than no beers between no guys

I guess some media people see the light, eventually, when they feel the heat.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

ESPN'S commie-move sent millions of fans back to their fave teams' AM-radio affiliates (who now all have Twitter outlets), where they can have fun, taunt, cheerlead, and critique in real-time. Because the stations' programs are call-in oriented, sponsoring contests and remote broadcasting from popular local sites, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac shark View Post
    ESPN'S commie-move sent millions of fans back to their fave teams' AM-radio affiliates (who now all have Twitter outlets), where they can have fun, taunt, cheerlead, and critique in real-time. Because the stations' programs are call-in oriented, sponsoring contests and remote broadcasting from popular local sites, etc.
    And there are fan podcasts covering many/most teams in many/most sports. ESPN committed two "sins" simultaneously: they alienated a significant part of their audience by letting their on-air people go political; they did not adjust their business model in response to changes in their marketplace. From what I understand, they also significantly overpaid for long-term coverage contracts (also ignoring marketplace changes).

IOW, ESPN's travails should have been manageable, but ESPN management was instead manglement.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    And there are fan podcasts covering many/most teams in many/most sports. ESPN committed two "sins" simultaneously: they alienated a significant part of their audience by letting their on-air people go political; they did not adjust their business model in response to changes in their marketplace. From what I understand, they also significantly overpaid for long-term coverage contracts (also ignoring marketplace changes).

IOW, ESPN's travails should have been manageable, but ESPN management was instead manglement.
    And they keep rehiring and firing Keef Olberdork after he "napalmed his bridges" there over a decade ago.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

ESPN doesn't cover a lot of local sports. FOX Sports Detroit (basic cable) covers any non-network games by the Tigers, Red Wings and Pistons. ESPN covers some NCAA games locally (MSU/UM), and soccer.