1. #1 Barr's ability to declassify could put at risk a CIA informant close to Vladimir Puti 
    link

dalton99a (36,572 posts)

Barr's ability to declassify could put at risk a CIA informant close to Vladimir Putin (NYT)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/24/u...elligence.html

Barr’s Newfound Power Could Prompt Clash Between Justice Dept. and C.I.A.
    By David E. Sanger
    May 24, 2019

WASHINGTON — President Trump’s order allowing Attorney General William P. Barr to declassify any intelligence that sparked the opening of the Russia investigation sets up a potential confrontation with the C.I.A., including over the possible implications for a person close to President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia who provided information to the C.I.A. about his involvement in Moscow’s 2016 election interference.

The concern about the source, who is believed to be still alive, is one of several issues raised by Mr. Trump’s decision to use the intelligence to pursue his political enemies. It has also prompted fears from former national security officials and Democratic lawmakers that other sources or methods of intelligence gathering — among the government’s most closely held secrets — could be made public, not because of leaks to the news media that the administration denounces, but because the president has determined it suits his political purposes.

Mr. Trump granted Mr. Barr’s request for sweeping new authorities to conduct his review of how the Trump campaign’s ties to Russia were investigated. The president ordered the C.I.A. and the other intelligence agencies to cooperate, granting Mr. Barr the authority to unilaterally declassify their documents and thus significant leverage over the intelligence community.

Intelligence officials have feared before that their findings were being twisted to political agendas — notably concerns during the run-up to the Iraq war that information about Saddam Hussein’s alleged weapons of mass destruction was being cherry-picked to justify combat. But Mr. Trump’s decision is different.

It allows Mr. Barr, who has used the charged term “spying” to describe efforts to investigate the Trump campaign, sole discretion to declassify the intelligence behind the F.B.I.’s decision to begin investigating whether any Trump aides or associates were working with the Russians. It also raises the specter that officials ranging from the F.B.I. to the C.I.A. to the National Security Agency, which was monitoring Russian officials, will be questioned about their sources and their intent.

The order could be tremendously damaging to the C.I.A. and other intelligence agencies, drying up sources and inhibiting their ability to gather intelligence, said Representative Adam Schiff, Democrat of California and the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee.

“The president now seems intent on declassifying intelligence to weaponize it,” Mr. Schiff said in an interview.
    Jack*sses ALWAYS come out with this when THEY know that THEY are going to be exposed, and Schitt for brains is now exception.,

And naturally the Democrats Propaganda network jumps to it and dishes their lies and hate.

And this coming from the same happy bunch that wanted the Mueller report unedited and expose people to doxing, harashment and possible violence.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

1.) How does the NYT know a person "close to" Putin is mentioned in Mueller's report? Leak from the FBI or CIA? Making shit up?

2.) On what basis does the NYT claim to know Barr would expose a CIA informant?

3.) Why, if the NYT actually cares about this supposed informant, did the NYT partially expose him/her?

I think the NYT is pulling factoids out its rectum out of fear of facts that will be learned.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    1.) How does the NYT know a person "close to" Putin is mentioned in Mueller's report? Leak from the FBI or CIA? Making shit up?

2.) On what basis does the NYT claim to know Barr would expose a CIA informant?

3.) Why, if the NYT actually cares about this supposed informant, did the NYT partially expose him/her?

I think the NYT is pulling factoids out its rectum out of fear of facts that will be learned.
    Or the CIA is still planting disinformation and the NYT is running with it.
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22