Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Not making a mountain. Just seeing a misunderstanding and the use of the term "spamming" which may be a little harsh here.
    A lot of you folks don't even get to see the spammers crap that gets posted and quickly discarded.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Not making a mountain. Just seeing a misunderstanding and the use of the term "spamming" which may be a little harsh here.
    I was the only person on this thread, until your post, who used the word "spamming". If "Zak" only posted his/her complaint here, that may have been an overstatement. But for a first post as a member, it was still self-promotion. Until dropping out from RO in 2017 I had been a Mod at one discussion site or another for over 12 years. IOW, I've seen and dealt with this sort of thing before, and my post in which I used "spamming" describes how I dealt with it.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

"Handmaid's Tale" is Christian-Bashing Hate Speech

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    A lot of you folks don't even get to see the spammers crap that gets posted and quickly discarded.
    Back before RO was brought down (for 3 months) by a hacker, new-regs were vetted manually. During peak times and times when the guy who regularly did it had 'net access problems, I helped. It is no exaggeration to say that as small as RO was, it got 20-30 spamster regs a day. And we still had a few get past us. So I don't see what you refer to, but I have a very good idea from past experience.

4. #14 I didn't mean to create all this commotion. 
    I feel like I am breaking furniture in an unfamiliar room. I didn't know I was supposed to ask permission before I post. I hear of such a rule for the first time in my life. Regardless, I am 70 years old and too old to learn new tricks or ask permissions. If my posts caused some emotional distress for anyone, please delete them. If by some mistake you got my book for free, please delete it. I'll try to close my account here if I am able to figure out how to do that.

It's basic minimal courtesy.

Further, if I had a blog or a You Tube channel or a book I would not think of posting about it or linking to it on a discussion forum unless I had been a contributing (= a good number of posts) member and received permission from a Mod. That is still basic minimal courtesy, in my opinion.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    I feel like I am breaking furniture in an unfamiliar room. I didn't know I was supposed to ask permission before I post. I hear of such a rule for the first time in my life. Regardless, I am 70 years old and too old to learn new tricks or ask permissions. If my posts caused some emotional distress for anyone, please delete them. If by some mistake you got my book for free, please delete it. I'll try to close my account here if I am able to figure out how to do that.
    Don't sweat it. And welcome. Just introduce yourself when you get started.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Like unca Ralphie said, go to the intro forum, tell us a bit about your self including the facts that you have written a couple or more books and maybe something about your interest that got you started. Wander around, find a thread where you would like to contribute and jump in. No one here is about to cut you off for that one post but apparent monetary self-promotion is frowned upon.
    Go get your flak jacket and helmet, keep your powder dry and your arms handy and welcome to the fold.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault