Hybrid View

1. #1 Hurricane Gustav's record 212 mph wind gust 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Hurricane season is of course over but I found this
    blog entry pretty interesting weather wise.

Big Gust!

As we look back at the weather events of 2008, perhaps the most impressive record set during the year occurred during Hurricane Gustav, which pounded Cuba as a Category 4 hurricane in August. Gustav set a new world record for highest wind gust ever measured in a hurricane. As Gustav passed over the Paso Real de San Diego meteorological station in the western Cuban province of Pinar del Rio, Cuba, on the afternoon of August 30, 2008, a wind gust of 212 mph (340 km/hr) was recorded.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Wow. 212.

I lived in Florida for 9 years and we never were hit with a hurricane. (We lived in Jax and Orlando)

We moved to the mountains of north Georgia and then go hit with the remnants of a hurricane (It may have been Opal but I don't remember.) and we had over 100 mph winds I was impressed. I can't imagine 212.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Banned
    Gustav caused a great deal of damage in Baton Rouge. Many homeowners still have not fixed their damaged roof and have covered them with tarps. The insurance deductibles are so high that they can afford to fix them. Allstate has a 5% deductible on the insured amount of the dwelling. So the deductible on a $200k house would be $10k. State Farm has a 2%. Roofers and construction workers are making a killing here.