1. #1 Minnesota ex-officer gets 12-1/2 years in for Australian woman's shooting death 
    I searched quickly but didn't see this as having been posted.

A former Minneapolis police officer was sentenced to 12-1/2 years in prison on Friday for the fatal shooting of an Australian woman nearly two years ago after she had called police to report a possible sexual assault.

Mohamed Noor, 33, was found guilty on April 30 of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter for killing 40-year-old Justine Ruszczyk Damond outside her home in a case that drew international attention.

Before the sentencing, Noor made a tearful apology to Damond’s family and described how the fear that led him to pull the trigger turned to horror upon seeing what he had done.

“I apologize for taking the life of a perfect person who was so dear to them,” he said. “I caused this tragedy and it is my burden.”

Noor’s lawyers had asked the court for a sentence of probation, or at most, a prison term of a year and a day, citing his community service and his cooperation with the investigation.

But Minnesota District Judge Kathryn Quaintance rejected the plea for leniency, saying that while Noor had shown remorse for the consequences of his decision, he had not taken responsibility for his error in judgment during the shooting.

Noor’s lawyers had asked the court for a sentence of probation, or at most, a prison term of a year and a day, citing his community service and his cooperation with the investigation.

But Minnesota District Judge Kathryn Quaintance rejected the plea for leniency, saying that while Noor had shown remorse for the consequences of his decision, he had not taken responsibility for his error in judgment during the shooting
    To the judge

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKCN1T80ZX
    Unknown philosopher at a St. Patrick's Day celebration 1967

1 beer between 3 guys is better than no beers between no guys

Give him the chair.
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22

He received close to the maximum for the crime the prosecution could prove in court. There was no evidence he planned to "get" the woman he killed, nor that he planned to "get" anyone. Therefore first degree murder (or whatever MN calls it) wasn't ever a possibility.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

"Handmaid's Tale" is Christian-Bashing Hate Speech

Personally I think his partner should have shot him for lazeinrg him. He shot across his partner at the woman who was at the drivers side door.
    Progressivism is a bottomless pit of absurdity.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Personally I think his partner should have shot him for lazeinrg him. He shot across his partner at the woman who was at the drivers side door.
    He definitely endangered his partner.

Stepping back, Noor being a police officer was political from recruiting through the night he killed Justine Damond. Pols decided to recruit someone - anyone - from the Somali community for PR. He proved himeslf unsuitable during training, but pols saw to it he was sworn in and hired. And unsurprisingly, he proved his unsuitability in a way the pols cannot bypass. Every pol who ensured Noor became a police officer instead of washing out should be canned and barred from government "service".
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

"Handmaid's Tale" is Christian-Bashing Hate Speech

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Harrity said the incident spooked him and he feared an ambush. But he also was of the opinion that it was premature to use deadly force.

What seems to be different at this trial is that experts on police shootings said that Noor's use of force was not justified. This is not the case for the Arizona police officer who shot/killed a man who was crawling towards him as ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambone View Post
    Harrity said the incident spooked him and he feared an ambush. But he also was of the opinion that it was premature to use deadly force.

What seems to be different at this trial is that experts on police shootings said that Noor's use of force was not justified. This is not the case for the Arizona police officer who shot/killed a man who was crawling towards him as ordered.
    Just reading some of what you post, you're anti law enforcement. Tell you what, do the job then you can have an opinion.
    Progressivism is a bottomless pit of absurdity.

Banned
    I'm not anti law enforcement and I will voice my opinion with or without your approval.

So exactly what did I write that makes you think I'm anti law enforcement?