Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Race, The Jury And The Harsh Verdict Against Oberlin College 
    Power CUer
    The defense of Oberlin. What Professor Gerstmann (author) can't admit is that this case was about stealing and criminal assault, and a college that defended these illegal acts by calling the victim of the crimes "racist." An Oberlin college student tried to steal two bottles of wine (putting them under his coat) and attempted to pay for a third with a fake ID. He was caught by a Gibson employee, an employee who was then beaten up by the college student's two college friends. The fact that the college students were all black is not the point: it's the criminality, stupid. Add to that the fact that the local police did a thorough investigation of Gibson's and found NO statistical disparity in the way they treated black students, and you have an innocent bakery being slandered as racist.

Gerstmann is continuing a false narrative despite the actual facts on the ground and despite the jury decision. Notice that Gerstmann has no actual facts, just feelings and a worn-out narrative. The facts are all on Gibson's side. Including the fact that the Oberlin administrators actively supported the student activists in trying to destroy the business and reputation of the Gibson family: hence the large award to Gibson.

But still, somehow, the whole situation was racist, Gibson's was racist, the whole county of Lorain is racist, etc. etc.

Race, The Jury And The Harsh Verdict Against Oberlin College
    Evan Gerstmann, Contributor
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/evanger.../#2b37fa558286

The legal battle between Gibson’s Bakery and Oberlin College, which resulted in an enormous libel verdict against Oberlin, was about a lot of things. It was about the economic damage suffered by a small business. It was about resentment people feel about being judged without sufficient evidence. It was about poor decisions made by various Oberlin employees that played into the narrative of the college as an elitist institution with all the foibles that are sometimes associated with progressive institutions.

But, first and foremost, this case was about race. The Gibson family is white and the students at the center of the dispute are African American, as were many of the students at the protests against Gibson’s. And there was not one African American on the jury.

The protests stemmed from an incident in which three African American students attempted a petty crime at Gibson’s that resulted in a physical altercation. While the students were indeed guilty, many Oberlin students believe that Gibson’s is not completely innocent. Some African American students, it is very difficult to know how many, don’t feel comfortable when they walk into the bakery and believe that they are treated differently there. To their minds, the protests weren’t a rush to judgment, but rather a burst of anger at a longstanding situation.

Racism is not an issue that lends itself to simple narratives. In fact, multiple, seemingly opposing, narratives can be true at the same time. It can be true that racism in this country persists in ways both large and small, overt and subtle. It can be true at the same time, that sometimes people are willing to accuse others of racism without real evidence and can be oblivious to the great harm that results.

Something can be both racist and not racist at the same time depending on one’s perspective. For example, a Korean grocery store serving an African American neighborhood may prefer to hire family members. It may do so out of a sense of familial obligation or because it sees family members as trustworthy. There is nothing racist about those motivations. But it is also reasonable for its customers to see the store’s refusal to hire from the community that supports it, thereby locking African Americans out of those employment opportunities, as racist. These are competing narratives that exist side by side as do many other narratives about race. To see only one narrative is to be half-blind.

Something that appears to have gone uncommented upon so far, is that there was not a single African American person on the jury that treated Oberlin so harshly. Lorain County, where the trial was held, is less than 10% African American. Therefore, there weren’t very many African Americans in the pool of prospective jurors. According to a source familiar with the trial, the judge, who is also white, kept three African Americans off of the jury “for cause,” meaning that the judge believed there was a reason to question their impartiality. One African American would have made it onto the jury but Gibson’s attorneys used a peremptory challenge (a way that a lawyer can refuse a potential juror without having to give a reason) to keep that person off of the jury. It seems that, with the exception of one Latino juror, the jury was entirely white. To be fair, it’s impossible to be sure since the jurors weren’t asked their ethnicity and a person’s name or appearance doesn’t always indicate their ethnicity....
    Last edited by Elspeth; 06-18-2019 at 02:42 PM.

For me and millions of other Americans, the "RACIST" label has become about as meaningful as the "FREE" label on commercial products.

I love the message of the $33 million judgement to college administrators across the country. Real money can speak louder than their lunatic students and professors with their infantile tantrums.
    The United States Navy, fighting Moslem barbarians since 1801.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ (and bring body bags)

We see now people engaging in fantasy , and destructive fantasy at that.

First, they saw the shop lifter and those who assaulted an employees as " The Victims " , because that's how they want the world to be.
    and once that fantasy was created the actors involved couldn't let it go; no matter the witnesses, no matter the evidence.

We've seen this pattern over and over again. I remember on DU one of their members ignored the evidence and the witnesses say that it was Zimmerman who on top of Martin beating him with his fists and finally shot him; pure fantasy. In the Brown case one Brown's friends said that he put his hands up and said " Don't shoot ". Even thou none of the other witnesses said that happened. But those on the Left again embraced the fantasy and reject the evidence and the witnesses. Even in the case now with Nick Sandmann and the Covington Kids , DU still only believe that short little video and reject the full video because Phillips lie was more to their liking and the truth only dismissed their fantasy.

SWJs and Moonbats everywhere have seen the first case of their fantasy not standing up in court of law, and I hope its just the start of ripping down of the crap they've infected on the world.

Reality hits the road and these jerkazoids brought a unicycle.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

I thought a ‘Racist’ was someone who ran for the Track Team....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Hallbert View Post
    I thought a ‘Racist’ was someone who ran for the Track Team....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Once again, I beg SR for a rimshot smiley.....

From what I've read, shoplifting in the City of Oberlin is not insignificant, and the vast majority of those arrested are Oberlin College students (with the ethnic mix being about the same as the city, i.e. no racial discrimination). So store owners probably pay extra attention when students enter their stores.

With that background, these students (one was white, IIRC) were caught trying to steal two bottles of wine, and trying to defraud the owner of a third. So the crime was real, and not insignificant ($15? $30?).

Rather than tell the victimologists that they were wrong, a senior Oberlin administrator (and former Victimology prof) joined in their defamation.

The Gibson family has served Oberlin for multiple generations with their family business. And Oberlin abetted the slanderous effort to destroy them. The Gibson family deserve every penny of that (capped) $33M judgment. It's a very small % of Oberlin's endowment, and unless they pay every penny (or very close to it) the Gibsons will just be the first target. Oberlin's "Woke Privilege" (HT Rich Lowry, National Review) needs to cost Oberlin something.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

"Handmaid's Tale" is Christian-Bashing Hate Speech

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    With that background, these students (one was white, IIRC) were caught trying to steal two bottles of wine...
    My information is that all three students were black and that three bottles of wine were involved:

https://legalinsurrection.com/2017/1...elf-as-victim/

I trust Legal Insurrection. They are the only website that covered the case from start to finish including every day of the trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Once again, I beg SR for a rimshot smiley.....

The United States Navy, fighting Moslem barbarians since 1801.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ (and bring body bags)

It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Can we put it in the list of choices? Put it next to Vader or the "Oh Nos!" emoticon.