Democrats in a House agriculture subcommittee lashed out at a retired millionaire who applied for and received food stamps in an effort to prove that eligibility for the government benefits in his home state of Minnesota were too lax and could be easily exploited.

Rob Undersander noticed several years back that income was the only criterion for receiving benefits from the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP), commonly known as food stamps.

A retired engineer with a seven-figure nest egg but no real income, Undersander decided to perform an experiment to determine if someone as well-off as he and his wife could obtain the benefits.

"I've got the [SNAP] form in my hand and I'm thinking of my financial situation, and I said ‘you know, I just can't believe this,'" Undersander told the Washington Free Beacon by phone earlier this week. "So I went down to the second floor of the Sterns County Courthouse, stood in line a little bit, handed in the application and three weeks later I'm getting food stamps, a balance on my EBT card."

Although he was not invited to formally testify, Undersander was in attendance at a Thursday subcommittee meeting designed to look at "broad-based categorical eligibility" for benefits like SNAP.

Undersander maintains he did not falsify any portion of his application, and that therefore everything he did was completely legal. He says he also carefully tracked and donated all of the monies he received from the program back into his community to benefit the needy.

House Democrats, however, were not happy.

"And let me just also say for the record, I think if someone intentionally defrauds the federal government, they ought to go to jail," said Rep. Jim McGovern, a Democrat from Massachusetts.
I wonder if "someone" includes people from "distressed communities" or illegal aliens ?

https://freebeacon.com/issues/democr...whistleblower/