1. #1 Student Loan Rant 
    link

mfcorey1 (8,842 posts)

Student Loan Rant

My daughter, so had previously had some financial problems, tried to avoid student loan default by calling the third party vendor for the DOE to set up a payment plan. All attempts to reach Credit Adjusters failed. They never answer the telephone. On the rare occasion when they did, they left you on hold or switch you to some one else where there was a constant busy signal. However, in the meantime, they claim she never tried to contact them and proceeded to establish a garnishment. Efforts to reach them to see why they never answer or respond when being contacted was a fail.

Now, so she is subject to a garnishment for $7000 and feels like there is something wrong with the process. We move on to her trying to get information on the balance after each payment, to no avail. She contacted DOE and thru much red tape was able to speak to someone in the student loan/ garnishment department and expressed the frustration with the process. The representative said that my daughter could file a complaint to DOE about the vendor they use for collections. She did so and it took a long to time to finally get an invoice about payments.

When the payments were being garnished, they were immediately posted to the account within three days. Now as she has completed payments, the company is back to their questionable ways and will not stop the garnishment. Also when she calls DOE for help they claim there is nothing they can do until the vendor sends a completion notice and then send her back to the vendor for more rollercoaster blabber. Now that all is completed, Credit Adjusters claim they can't find the last payment. It is strange how all the rest were immediately posted. They refuse to stop the garnishments and are adding interest on a $49.00 balance on their books that has already been paid. They are now in the area of overcharging her nearly $900.00.

The most insulting part was calling members of Congress for help. Immediately you are switched to the head of a committee who then switches you to another committee where you are referred to your Congress person and on and on and on. It is enough to drive a person to drink nonstop. In the meantime the garnishments continue.

Googling shows that this ripoff is the DOE and its vendors means of operations. There is no help for the consumer.

I just had to rant today for things that are so unfair.
    They were so thrilled with the government took over the student loans. THIS is what you get. What would be totally illegal if the government isn't involved is suddenly OK and even expected.

And they want the government to be in charge of all of our healthcare.
    Liberals are divorced from reality and they think it's great. When you live in la la land you're never wrong, it's always the other person/groups fault and you can believe what you want to believe and call it 'truth'.

I guess that BS in Basket Weaving with a Victimhood minor isn't paying off?

Slightly more seriously, I suspect multiple poor choices are in play here, including a major with little or no career path and spending student loan $$ on things other than tuition and books.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

"Handmaid's Tale" is Christian-Bashing Hate Speech

"Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

"Enemy. The word you are looking for is enemy. When the ideals of someone are antithetical to yours, you can say the word "enemy". DUmmy ret5hd Fri Aug 24, 2018, 05:10 PM

Yeah, but when the government takes over our healthcare everything will be GREAT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    I guess that BS in Basket Weaving with a Victimhood minor isn't paying off?

Slightly more seriously, I suspect multiple poor choices are in play here, including a major with little or no career path and spending student loan $$ on things other than tuition and books.

That's about the size of it.

They got feel good degrees that didn't mean shit in the real world. They didn't think the only job they could get with a degree in Philosophy was one where they would have to say over and over again was " Would you like fries with that? ".

Now they want everyone else to pay for their stupid mistake ... and the worse part is they didn't learn from their mistake.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.