1. #1 Dollar stores are everywhere. That's a problem for poor Americans 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    By Nathaniel Meyersohn, CNN Business
    Updated 9:43 AM ET, Fri July 19, 2019

New York (CNN Business)As dollar stores sweep across America, they are facing growing scrutiny from opponents who argue that discount chains stifle local competition and limit poor communities' access to healthy food.

Dollar stores have never been more popular. Yet a wave of cities and towns have passed laws curbing the expansion of Dollar General (DG) and Dollar Tree (DLTR), which bought Family Dollar in 2015. The companies are the two largest dollar store operators in the country, combining for more than 30,000 stores throughout the United States, up from under 20,000 a decade ago. By comparison, Walmart (WMT), America's largest retailer, has 4,700 US stores.
    You know, people bitch about everything, especially Libtards.

When SLW and I were doing the trips down to FL every few months
    we would travel on some of the less busy highways. We'd drive for
    miles and see nothing store wise. Except Dollar General stores.
    Why wasn't there a Publix? They would have made out like
    bandits. But they left the market empty and DG moved in.
    They are a public company, look at their stock price.

They may not be the best places but when there is NOTHING
    else, they serve a population and a need.

LINK
    May the FORCE be with you!

I notice that when we visit family. Driving through Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas, there are tons of Dollar Generals in the small towns. My assumption has been that it's easier and cheaper to franchise a DG, and most of these small towns aren't big enough or close enough together to get a Walmart.

As far as the griping, those "opponents" are free to put their money where their mouth is, and go open up their own stores in these towns and areas. Stock them with organic wheatgrass juice and vegan cookies, and provide those healthier options your darn self instead of pontificating from your ivory towers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

They're great for paper-products. And for food-stuff you 'forgot' to buy, or need to buy in a hurry.

Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    My local store is on the same slab as the only market in town, a can of Wolf Brand Chili at this Mafia store was one dollar more than the same can at the dollar store. No exaggeration a full dollar more ! I buy three or four items from the Mafia store because the dollar store simply don't have it, I also buy a bag of frozen chicken paddies for my old dog, she is picky about what she eats and the same bag next door at the Mafia store is 7 dollars, the dollar store price is 5 dollars. I rest my case and feel pretty sure they are complaining because they lost the monopoly and gouging they have laid on shoppers. I thought once the walmart super store ten miles away was finished that prices would come down in this local Mafia store, wrong they are still going strong because people don't want to drive a twenty mile round trip just to shop at walmart. There is another possibility, Farmers are not hurting for money, or the shoppers aren't too smart.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac shark View Post
    They're great for paper-products. And for food-stuff you 'forgot' to buy, or need to buy in a hurry.
    Often buy pens there for my trivia gigs. Tax deductible, but cheap there. Unless I discover a bulk bargain online.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    What does this guilty white liberal want, the most expensive stores to move to poorer neighborhoods? Surely a business writer would understand economics and markets...
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

More efficient business models have been replacing less efficient ones in retail in the US for generations. But in poor areas that are also high crime, it's not the DollarBogey or the WalBogey that drives lower priced stores out of those neighborhoods.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

"Handmaid's Tale" is Christian-Bashing Hate Speech

When I was a kid, every neighborhood had a 5 & 10 Variety Store, that sold really cheap junk and toys. The dollar stores are pretty much the same thing, adjusted for inflation.