Thread: Since there ain't no damn gun forum....

1. #1 Since there ain't no damn gun forum.... 
    What is the recommended ammo for defense/concealed carry in a Glock 21? I'm looking for something in the 185 grain range. The CorBon is all +P, and that worries me in the Glock, but the Federal HydraShock I have read is not recommended in the Glock. Any professional recommendations?

By the way, how the hell are y'all? Haven't been around since January or so. I got rid of that commie canadian woman at the end of January, and am living full time in Vermont now. Working at IBM as a sys admin, and have not stepped foot in God-fosaken Canada since I moved my last load out five months ago, although I am only minutes from the border. (Canada makes a great backstop for sighting in your rifle.) I ended up with the dog, the rabbit, the freezer, and the dishwasher, so I think I got the better end of the deal.

I'd think you would want more mass in the bullet than speed given that it is a 45acp.

Concealed carry of a G21?

BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by Aklover View Post
    I'd think you would want more mass in the bullet than speed given that it is a 45acp.

Concealed carry of a G21?
    I conceal carry a full size M&P .40, which is just as bulky. I'm also 6'3" and can carry it well. :D

I think the ammo depends on the shooter. Go out to the range and bring a wide selection of choices and find out what works for you. I shot many diffrent brands and settled with the Federal 165 gr HST.

Its the only way.

Vepr
    I am no expert or professional but I have not had any problems with Speer Gold Dot.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/default.asp?s1=3&s2=7&s3=6

Yes, you can carry a G21 very concealed. I have a Galco Miami Classic jackass horizontal rig that hides it well under a light jacket, though my fat gut makes it a little hard to reach. I also have a TripleK inside-the-pants small of the back holster that does the job well under a hawiian shirt. But here in Vermont, whether or not it is "well" concealed is not really much of an issue. As long as you are not a prohibited person, you can carry openly or concealed pretty much anywhere, no permit required.
    Last edited by crockspot; 06-21-2008 at 08:28 PM.

One of the joys of a .45 acp is that the round is big enough that the person you hit flat out doesn't care what particular load you are using.

A standard 230 grain round nose is going to work just as good as a fancy hollowpoint load.

It's one of the few calibers that I would feel comfortable using ball ammo for self defense.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Big Ole Bullet.

Really. Other things work. Small and fast. That's cool.

But for me, a Big Ole Bullet every time.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!