Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Miss Michigan stripped of title over 'offensive' social media posts 
    DETROIT, Mich. – A beauty queen was stripped of her title for what she claims is discrimination against her conservative political views.

Kathy Zhu, also a University of Michigan student, was dismissed as a Miss World America pageant participant a day after she was crowned when the organization claimed the content of her social media was "offensive, insensitive and inappropriate."

Zhu is a well-known conservative political commentator and online figure, amassing approximately 80,000 followers in her Instagram and Twitter accounts combined. She is a supporter of President Donald Trump.

"I have seen this happen before," Zhu said. "It is just not OK to be prejudiced against people who just have a different political view as you.”
    https://news.yahoo.com/miss-michigan...195540804.html

Her offensive social media posts? Here is one:
    "There is a 'try a hijab on' booth at my college campus.
    So you're telling me that it's now just a fashion accessory and not a religious thing? Or are you just trying to get women used to being oppressed under Islam?"
    asking for clarification on why a hijab is to be worn is racist or offensive?

her other "offensive" posting:

"Did you know the majority of black deaths are caused by other blacks? Fix problems within your own community before blaming others."
    Stating facts is offensive?

She is merely guilty of exercising her first Amendment rights while having an opinion and political viewpoint that differs from the intolerant Miss World pageant.

Oh, and she dared to wear a MAGA hat...

"Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

"Enemy. The word you are looking for is enemy. When the ideals of someone are antithetical to yours, you can say the word "enemy". DUmmy ret5hd Fri Aug 24, 2018, 05:10 PM

There is a confrontational edge to both of those posts. Miss America contestants sign an agreement regarding things like this. If her tone violated the rules, then they can strip her of her title.

Her first statement-although I get the sentiment behind it and am not necessarily in disagreement with it, the opinion could be expressed in a more polite manner. Like "They are having a try on a hijab booth on my campus. Are Muslims okay with this? Isn't wearing a hijab a symbol of a commitment to Islam? Wouldn't it be offensive to Muslim women for a woman who has not made that commitment to wear one?'. Make it a legitimate question about a faith issue, not an automatic slam against Islam.

The other statement, she could have chosen to say nothing. She also could have been more specific about which deaths of black Americans she is talking about, but it could just be that her statement is a response to another's statement that would make her response more sensible. If she is saying that the majority of homicides with black victims are at the hands of other black people, that would be factual. But to say that the majority of black deaths are caused by other blacks sounds pretty ignorant without a larger context.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    This happened because she's a Trump
    supporter. You can try and spin it any
    other way but that is the bottom line.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    This happened because she's a Trump
    supporter. You can try and spin it any
    other way but that is the bottom line.
    This Sith speaks the truth.
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22

The pageant may be within its rights, but if they have enforced their clause selectively or it is too vague the case could go ill with the pageant if she takes them to court. Regardless, people should use their rights to show the pageant their disapproval or approval of politicizing the pageant.

What I would love to see would be for the runner-up to refuse the title, maybe even several runners-up. Not that I expect that to happen.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

"Handmaid's Tale" is Christian-Bashing Hate Speech

Obvious racial discrimination against Asian-Americans.

PS I'll bet you can find oodles of beauty pageant winners who have publicly said horrible things about the president, and NOTHING is said or done about it.
    The United States Navy, fighting Moslem barbarians since 1801.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ (and bring body bags)

Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    PS I'll bet you can find oodles of beauty pageant winners who have publicly said horrible things about the president, and NOTHING is said or done about it.
    Well there's 49 states whose winners' social media could be checked, and maybe a few US territories have pageants within the Miss World system (I would be very surprised if Puerto Rico does not).
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

"Handmaid's Tale" is Christian-Bashing Hate Speech

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The other statement, she could have chosen to say nothing. She also could have been more specific about which deaths of black Americans she is talking about, but it could just be that her statement is a response to another's statement that would make her response more sensible. If she is saying that the majority of homicides with black victims are at the hands of other black people, that would be factual. But to say that the majority of black deaths are caused by other blacks sounds pretty ignorant without a larger context.

FBI Expanded Homicide Data Table 3

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ta-table-3.xls
    Unknown philosopher at a St. Patrick's Day celebration 1967

1 beer between 3 guys is better than no beers between no guys

Quote Originally Posted by Banacek View Post
    Her poorly worded statement said black deaths, not black homicides. So do black people cause other black people to die from heart disease, diabetes or cancer? That's the point I mean.

Yes, I'm parsing words, but as a Miss America contestant, she should have been thinking before posting.

Zhu doesn't seem pissed enough, which might mean that one of her parents told her she's getting three times more publicity over it than for winning the pageant itself.

She's frozen-in-time as Miss Michigan, 2019. That title is unstrippable, once in the public's eye like it is now.