Thread: Floundering NYT Sells Ad Space On Front Page.

Hybrid View

1. #1 Floundering NYT Sells Ad Space On Front Page. 
    NY Times debuts front-page ad; new revenue source

Jan 5 04:52 PM US/Eastern
    By ANICK JESDANUN
    AP Business Writer Write a Comment

NEW YORK (AP) - The New York Times, facing falling ad revenue like other newspapers, on Monday became the latest paper to run graphical advertising on its front page.
    The Times already has been selling such ads on the front pages of its business and other sections since 2006, and it has run tiny classified text ads on the front of its main section before. Graphical advertising, known as display ads, on the main front can command even greater prices, given the visibility.

"This high-impact placement represents an exciting new opportunity for our advertisers," said Denise Warren, chief advertising officer for The New York Times Media Group.

Although front-page ads might have been unthinkable years ago, today they hardly prompt a blink.

"I don't know how sacrosanct that front page is in a newspaper," said Sree Sreenivasan, a journalism professor at Columbia University. "I don't think in this particular economic climate, (you can) hold on to something for the sake of so-called tradition."

Front-page ads were quite common in the 19th century, but they gradually got banished to inside pages as editors pushed to further separate news items from advertising.

Gannett Co.'s USA Today was one of the first modern U.S. papers to carry front-page advertising, starting in 1999. Such ads now run regularly in News Corp.'s The Wall Street Journal and the International Herald Tribune, which is also owned by The New York Times Co. The Washington Post is among the holdouts.

Most newspapers have seen advertising revenue fall as gains in online readership and revenue have yet to offset losses in print. The declines accelerated last year as the recession depressed spending by consumers and advertisers alike.
    The Thrifty Nickle was way ahead of the curve on this one. :D

Breitbart

Hopefully this is a sign of their demise...well, I'll do some wishful thinking at least!

I actually got a subscription solicitation from them in the mail.

I took GREAT joy in marking the envelope "REFUSED - RETURN TO SENDER".

That way, they get dinged with first class postage on the return.

Just doing my part to help their bottom line.

rm -rf obama*

Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post

You're out of control you mad man! :D

But yeah since they're going out of business with their 700 mortgages or whatever it is, paying for a stamp could actually push those idiots over the edge.

oooooo we can do that???? :eek: Where are my devil horns . . . . The next time I get a collections notice . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    oooooo we can do that???? :eek: Where are my devil horns . . . . The next time I get a collections notice . . . .
    Yes. You can refuse any piece of mail.

If you look at it the way companies look at it, there is the cost of the return first class postage, then the cost of trying to find that postage when the mailman delivers it postage due. With all the red tape involved with most companies, finding that 42 cents, tracking it and such probably costs them over $100.

rm -rf obama*

Yes. You can refuse any piece of mail.

If you look at it the way companies look at it, there is the cost of the return first class postage, then the cost of trying to find that postage when the mailman delivers it postage due. With all the red tape involved with most companies, finding that 42 cents, tracking it and such probably costs them over $100.
    I'll have to remember that for all the credit card advertisements I get.
    "If every poor man is to come here and start requesting money for all his children, the applicants will never be satisfied and the nation's finances will collapse." Emperor Tiberius: Tacitus:Annals