Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 A Must Read....pit Bulls 
    A MUST READ....PIT BULLS

1.) Since 1998, the breed most involved in fatal attacks has been the **********(don't want to put any other breeds on the spot), not the Pit Bull.

2.) Although there are no accurate or even near accurate census records for dogs in the U.S., in some populations pit bulls are estimated to comprise some 30-40% of the dog population, making it by FAR the most popular breed. Considering that there are an estimated 53,000,000 dogs in the U.S., and assuming that pit bulls make up 20% of that population, there would be approximately 10,600,000 pit bulls in our society. In 1998, five pit bulls were involved in 2 fatal attacks.
    That is roughly ONE dog out of 2,120,000 - or .00004716 percent of the pit bull Population.

3.) Over the 32-year period from 1965-2001, Pit Bulls have been blamed for/accused of an average of 2.48 human fatalities per year.

4.) About 40 people (children) per year die by drowning in 5-gallon water pails. A person, during their lifetime, is 16 times more likely to drown in a 5-gallon water pail than to be killed by a Pit Bull.

5.) Approximately 50 children in the US are killed every year by their cribs - 25 times the number of children and adults killed by Pit Bulls.

6.) Approximately 150 people are killed every year by falling coconuts. Therefore, you are more than 60 TIMES MORE LIKELY to be killed by a PALM TREE than a Pit Bull.

7.) Each year, 350 people drown in their bathtubs. You are 151 times more likely to be killed by your bathtub than you are by a Pit Bull.

8) Every year, more than 2,000 children in the U.S. are killed by their parents or guardians either through abuse or neglect. A child is more than 800 times more likely to be killed by their caretaker than by a Pit Bull.

9) It is estimated that 5,000,000 dogs per year are killed in shelters. Since in many places pit bulls make up 30-50% of the shelter population, and are less likely to be considered for placement than any other breed, guessing that 25% of those dogs killed are pit bulls is a very conservative estimate. Therefore, it can be assumed that roughly 1,250,000 pit bulls are killed per year. Therefore - it is at least a HALF MILLION TIMES MORE LIKELY that a Pit Bull will be killed by a HUMAN than the other way around.

10) The average Number of people killed by a Pit Bull each year is 3.

11) It can be estimated that for every Pit Bull who kills, there are 10.5 MILLION that DON'T!

This country wants to ban/destroy 10.5 million innocent dogs for the actions of 0.94% of its category?

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT THE MISCONCEPTION ABOUT PIT BULLS!!!
    MANY WONDERFUL, SWEET DOGS ARE IN DANGER OF BEING KILLED!

http://www.thetruthaboutpitbulls.com/
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

A woman who used to be on a canine cancer board with me had rotties. She's always sending out info on the discrimination of insurance homeowner's polcies against rotties, dobies and pit bulls. Her rotties were trained therapy dogs, really nice dogs (except her female rottie didn't like other female dogs, so I had to keep my female greyhound far away from her dog).

The worst dog I've ever dealt with was a springer spaniel. It got one of those spaniel rages and attacked one of my greyhounds. The dog disregarded its invisible fence. He badly injured my dog. I hated that dog and disliked his owners almost as intensely. I've since learned to contact the homeowner's insurance if this happens again. I was out about $5k.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    We took in a pit bull as a lost dog. She was a fully grown adult with puppies. We had her for years and she never ever even came close to growling at someone or biting a person. She was a great dog. So often dog breeds get a bad rap that is undeserved.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

the problem with pits is that when they are bad - they are VERY bad. It scares people.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    the problem with pits is that when they are bad - they are VERY bad. It scares people.
    The problem with pits is that ignorant people (not you) can't separate the average pit from the ones they see on TV being fought. They automatically associate them with thugs and gangbangers.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

My brother bred Rotties for years (with other Rottweilers). they were the biggest bisquit eaters I've ever seen. Scary yes becaus efrom a distance they loked like ponys, but extremely docile.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    My brother bred Rotties for years (with other Rottweilers).

I'm glad you made that clarification!!! :D;)
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The problem with pits is that ignorant people (not you) can't separate the average pit from the ones they see on TV being fought. They automatically associate them with thugs and gangbangers.
    I don't have to go on TV to associate them with thugs and gangbangers - I just need to walk around my neighborhood. It's not just because of TV. It's also because of real life. I for one will not own one. I will not own a Rottie or a German shepherd or just about any other big dog - save an Irish setter - with kids. I will also NOT own any of the little dogs either.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    A woman who used to be on a canine cancer board with me had rotties. She's always sending out info on the discrimination of insurance homeowner's polcies against rotties, dobies and pit bulls. Her rotties were trained therapy dogs, really nice dogs (except her female rottie didn't like other female dogs, so I had to keep my female greyhound far away from her dog).

The worst dog I've ever dealt with was a springer spaniel. It got one of those spaniel rages and attacked one of my greyhounds. The dog disregarded its invisible fence. He badly injured my dog. I hated that dog and disliked his owners almost as intensely. I've since learned to contact the homeowner's insurance if this happens again. I was out about $5k.

Other than my mom's killer yorkie, the worst dog I had to deal with was a full-blooded chow. I was walking my previous dog (Rosie) with my mom and the aformentioned killer yorkie, and this big chow broke off of it's chain and went right for Rosie, who was a sweet and probably mentally retarded dog that I adopted from the county shelter in Kalamazoo. My mom picked up her dog, but Rosie was big, about 55 lbs, and she didn't have it in her to fight back. I kicked that damn chow in the head repeatedly, until the owner came out and said "Quit kicking my dog". She did pull the dog off of poor Rosie (I tried that before I started kicking the dog, but my mom stopped me because she thought I'd get bit-she thought the dog would bite my foot, too), and I threatened to sue her if I ever saw that dog off of the chain again.

My ex-neighbors had people visiting them who had a vicious american bull-they look like pit bulls somewhat, but aren't. That vicious dog jumped the fence (the owners were too drunk to stop her) and went right for my sweet Katie. I pulled the dog off of her, but not before Katie bit it in the eye and made sure it landed right in the rose bushes. The other dog ended up hurt far more than Katie (Katie is smart and knows her yard well), but I did get the owners to pay my vet bill. But the noise Katie made when that dog jumped on her was so heart-rending, I felt like the worst dog mom in the world for a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I will not own a Rottie or a German shepherd or just about any other big dog - save an Irish setter - with kids. I will also NOT own any of the little dogs either.
    My father used to breed and to train four kinds of dogs: rottweilers, dobermans, german shepherds, and boxers. The dobermans, while were quite good as guard dogs, didn't appeal as much as the Rottweilers, so they were discharged early. The German Shepherds and the boxers were the friendliest when I was a kid. The rottweilers were all sold and given to the military after one of them incidentally attacking my mother (while entering the gate, she thought that the dog has been caged).

One boxer saved my life from a fire at my room when I was about two months old (she pulled the bed with me on it out of the room as someone forgot to unplug the iron when my father was away). Her children still exist until today, and they become one of dad's most faithful friends.

Carefully trained and well maintained, the dogs kept me safe at home whenever my father was away.