Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The Media: A Reliable Source of Information on Dog Attacks? 
    Yes, I'm on my high horse about those evil vicious pit bulls today. They had a piece on the local news about pit bulls, which always leads me to defending them to my coworkers.

July 25, 2008: WLBT News in Mississippi ran the following headline, "Pit Bull Victim Favors Ban." The article then goes on to recount the experience of a "pit bull victim." The victim is quoted as saying: "I parked my truck and before I got 6-foot in front of my truck, a 200-pound pit bull come out and got me."

It is difficult to comment on this, other than to say that if this man encountered a 200 lb. Pit bull, he should be contacting the Guinness World Book of Records instead of the local TV news channel, because this definitely would be a World Record weight for a "Pit bull."

Apparently the local news, WLBT, also didn't recognize, (or care) about the significance of this very unbelieveable claim, as they had no problem headlining the words "Pit bull" in their story about a man bitten by a "200 lb." dog.
    On June 4, 2008, at least 29 news articles were run on a story about a Los Angeles boy "mauled by a Pit bull." Some of the headlines were:

"LA toddler hospitalized after being mauled by Pit bulls" - Fresno Bee
    "2-year-old stable after pit bull bites his face" - LA Times
    The Mercury News even reported that two Pit bulls attacked the child. Another article described the dog as the "family Pit bull." The Los Angeles Times reported the boy in "critical condition after he was bitten by a pit bull."

Perhaps the media should not bear the brunt for this serious error, as the source of the breed mis-identification was found to have originated from the Los Angeles Police Department.

The LAPD should not attempt to identify breeds of dogs or comment on canine behavior. The average police officer is no more skilled in breed identification than is the average reporter. Perhaps in the realization of this, the LAPD later referred all inquiries on the dog involved in this incident to the city's animal services department.

The Los Angeles Department of Animal Services released a statement declaring the dog involved in the attack on the boy was "in fact a shepherd mix."

More at.....
    http://www.nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/media1.asp
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Banned
    Pit Bulls have a bad rap, but they are generally awesome dogs... mellow and extremely friendly.

It's too bad theyve become such a stereotypical thug thing... makes it even worse for them... animal shelters arent even allowed to adopt out a stray pit bull out here, no matter what.
    Last edited by wilbur; 01-06-2009 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Pit Bulls have a bad rap, but they are generally awesome dogs... mellow and extremely friendly.

It's too bad theyve become such a stereotypical thug thing... makes it even worse for them.
    I've never encountered a pit that was anything other than a lap dog.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

At one point, Detroit banned pit bulls. Like so many other laws in Detroit (mostly the public use of illegal substances), it is not very well-enforced, but the police will shoot a pit bull when raiding a house.

In the course of my job, I have been in many homes with pit bulls. Most of the dogs I've seen are pretty gentle. I even had one client try to use her dog to indimidate me-it worked on the PS worker, it worked on the family therapist, but that dog loved me. I don't judge the whole breed by the attacks I read about-I know that pit bulls have jaws that lock in, which does increase the damage if they do attack. I've also read about Rottweilers and Shepherds mauling people, yet one of the gentlest dogs I ever met was a Rottweiler-one of my neighbors in Detroit had a really nice one, and he was really good with their kids.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    At one point, Detroit banned pit bulls.
    The best reason to believe breed specific laws are useless. Rule of thumb: Do the opposite of whatever Detroit does.

I know that pit bulls have jaws that lock in
    No, they don't. A Pit Bull's anatomy is no different than any other dog's. A rottwieller actually has more jaw strength than the pit bull. That is an urban legend like the Doberman's brain never stops growing and eventually drives them insane.

The problem is that some people raise pit bulls to be aggressive. A dog is only as good has he is raised and if they are raise to be vicious they will be vicious. I use to raise chows and outside of being a bit territorial they were great, loving dogs. I raised them to be good dogs and never encouraged aggressive behavior. It's some of the owners, if you ask me, who should be banned.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    The problem is that some people raise pit bulls to be aggressive. A dog is only as good has he is raised and if they are raise to be vicious they will be vicious. I use to raise chows and outside of being a bit territorial they were great, loving dogs. I raised them to be good dogs and never encouraged aggressive behavior. It's some of the owners, if you ask me, who should be banned.
    Bingo!!!!!

I know where your coming from Rebel. The company that owns Base Housing here will not let it's tenants own "Dangerous Breeds". Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Dobermans, etc...

Anyone out there can tell you that no breed is inherently "vicious" (accept maybe chihuahuas, the fucking little rats). It's all about how the dog is raised and treated. But that won't stop those knee jerk reactions that end up screwing us responsible dog owners over.

No, the media is not reliable about any information, dog-related information included.

Pit bulls are simply largish, very strong dogs with something of a prey drive. They make perfectly fine pets and I've never encountered one that was anything other than a big goof around the house.

The vast majority of dog bites requiring medical attention and surgery come from small dogs: Chihuahuas, small terriers, toy poodles, and similar dogs. Children pick these dogs up as though they were toys and the dog has easily access to the kid's face and hands.

Pits have a rotten reputation because of gangs and dog fighting operations. The kind of people who enjoy those things also enjoy beating their dogs, kids, and women, neglecting their children, and encouraging aggressive behavior in their dogs. One mentally unstable dog + unsupervised kids = trouble. These people would have the same situation with any breed they latched on to.

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    No, the media is not reliable about any information, dog-related information included.
    I kinda wondered why he had those last three words in the thread title myself.

Regarding pit bulls, they're ugly things, and like all dogs, stink. I see no problem banning them from apartments, if solely for aesthetic reasons.

Having lived in apartments when neighbors had dogs, I say ban 'em all.