Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    That is an urban legend like the Doberman's brain never stops growing and eventually drives them insane.
    I used to have a red doberman. Loved him to bits and he was a TOTAL coward unless he smelled fear on you. THEN and only THEN would he "grow a pair." Bo snapped at me just once. When he did that - I opened his moth - stuck in my arm and told him - you wanna bite me - this is your chance. He spat out my arm and never once snapped at me again and I had him for years. I did knock him out once though . . . . YES I decked a dog - but that's another story . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I know where your coming from Rebel. The company that owns Base Housing here will not let it's tenants own "Dangerous Breeds". Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Dobermans, etc...

Anyone out there can tell you that no breed is inherently "vicious" (accept maybe chihuahuas, the fucking little rats). It's all about how the dog is raised and treated. But that won't stop those knee jerk reactions that end up screwing us responsible dog owners over.
    You can thank insurance companies for those kinds of rules.

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    I kinda wondered why he had those last three words in the thread title myself.

Regarding pit bulls, they're ugly things, and like all dogs, stink. I see no problem banning them from apartments, if solely for aesthetic reasons.

Having lived in apartments when neighbors had dogs, I say ban 'em all.
    Nothing nastier in a home than a cat. They're ok for outside I guess, but my dogs don't get on the tables and couter tops. Plus they go outside to poop, not in a box in the corner of the room.:D
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

It was once expressed to me like this - If by some chance you happened to get shrunken down to 4 inches tall - your dog would still love you the same. Your cat on the otherhand would eat you.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    It was once expressed to me like this - If by some chance you happened to get shrunken down to 4 inches tall - your dog would still love you the same. Your cat on the otherhand would eat you.
    Never heard that one, but I like it.:D
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Plus they go outside to poop, not in a box in the corner of the room.:D
    The advantage of a cat in this circumstance is that after it poops, the cat generally won't roll around in it, wolf it down, throw it up, and then try to lick your face.

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    The advantage of a cat in this circumstance is that after it poops, the cat generally won't roll around in it, wolf it down, throw it up, and then try to lick your face.
    There is a VERY valid point here.:D Not that I let any dog lick my face . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    The vast majority of dog bites requiring medical attention and surgery come from small dogs: Chihuahuas, small terriers, toy poodles, and similar dogs. Children pick these dogs up as though they were toys and the dog has easily access to the kid's face and hands.:

Like my mom's former "killer yorkie". That dog was so vicious-my brother and I used to tell her he was the perfect size for drop kicking like a football. Her current yorkie is obnoxious enough to pick a fight with my norwegian elkhound, but is not otherwise vicious.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Like my mom's former "killer yorkie". That dog was so vicious-my brother and I used to tell her he was the perfect size for drop kicking like a football. Her current yorkie is obnoxious enough to pick a fight with my norwegian elkhound, but is not otherwise vicious.
    people forget the purpose for which Yorkies were bred. If they remember the purpose of the breed - they will understand that they ARE killers.

Well, I might not be he most popular guy in this thread :D

IMO, any dog over a certain size is capable of harming humans. As such, the owner of any largish needs to understand a few things about dog behavior and the breeds temperament.

First, it is damn near impossible to get a Golden Retriever to attack a human. Their temperament is so docile and friendly as to make them useless as guard dogs. On the other end of the spectrum we have dog breeds that are quite capable of being trained to attack humans. dobermans, shepards, pits, rottweilers, etc.

This does not mean they are inherently dangerous as pets. Properly raised and treated they can make good pets. BUT, far too many people have no clue what they are doing and should not be allowed to own dogs with the size and "potential" temperament to be dangerous.

For example, if you own a 120 pound rottweiler, you better understand pack mentality. Sure, he is gentle as a lamb with your little kids and wife. But a stranger comes to the door and makes any move the dog construes as aggressive and he may attack if he has not been properly trained. For that matter, if the dog becomes confused as to WHO is the pack leader, you may have a problem. This little factoid eludes a lot of people who get a big dog for protection and are essentially inviting a time bomb into their house. If you can't kick your own dogs ass you better know how to train it.

Add to this too many people get large dogs and do not give them the exercise and attention they need. They can become dangerous. Consider if YOU were forced to live in a small apartment never leaving for years on end. You'd snap too.

I don't approve of any regulation for dog "breeds". And the term "pit bull" is used like "assault weapon" by the media to spice up stories and has caught on. It sucks.

IMO we have very few issues with dogs. I'd love to own one but the wife unit says no :(

But if I did, it would be a small dog so I would never have to worry about it harming anyone. Small dogs can give as much love as big ones and thats what its all about :)