Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 POT's gonna save the economy! Are they serious? 
    http://www.esquire.com/the-side/rich...ization-122308

Famously, Franklin Delano Roosevelt saved the United States banking system during the first seven days of his first term.

And what did he do on the eighth day? "I think this would be a good time for beer," he said.

Congress had already repealed Prohibition, pending ratification from the states. But the people needed a lift, and legalizing beer would create a million jobs. And lo, booze was back. Two days after the bill passed, Milwaukee brewers hired six hundred people and paid their first $10 million in taxes. Soon the auto industry was tooling up the first $12 million worth of delivery trucks, and brewers were pouring tens of millions into new plants.

"Roosevelt's move to legalize beer had the effect he intended," says Adam Cohen, author of Nothing To Fear, a thrilling new history of FDR's first hundred days. "It was, one journalist observed, 'like a stick of dynamite into a log jam.'"

Many in the marijuana world are now hoping for something similar from Barack Obama. After all, the president-elect said in 2004 that the war on drugs had been "an utter failure" and that America should decriminalize pot:
    That's all we need and more stoners drug use is sooooo stupid.

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/rich...ization-122308
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I don't think legalizing it will save the economy, but it could bring some new revenue into local governments, along with saving some law enforcement dollars for investigating and prosecuting more serious crimes.

Michigan just passed a medical marijuana law that essentially makes it legal for anyone who has a chronic medical condition. Not only that, it allows for retroactive medical opinions/prescriptions-meaning, if you get busted, you can get a doctor to state that you need pot for your court hearing. The law makes it de facto legal for most people old enough to have arthritis. They might as well make it legal for everyone over 21 and get the tax money from it's sale.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I don't think legalizing it will save the economy, but it could bring some new revenue into local governments, along with saving some law enforcement dollars for investigating and prosecuting more serious crimes.

Michigan just passed a medical marijuana law that essentially makes it legal for anyone who has a chronic medical condition. Not only that, it allows for retroactive medical opinions/prescriptions-meaning, if you get busted, you can get a doctor to state that you need pot for your court hearing. The law makes it de facto legal for most people old enough to have arthritis. They might as well make it legal for everyone over 21 and get the tax money from it's sale.
    OKAY here is want people fail to realize - 70% of your drug convictions sitting in prison are pled cases. They pick up Joe Schmoe for assult - he has drugs on him - they get him to pleed guilty to the drugs they send him to jail and avoid the cost of a trial for assult. I know the left wants to paint drugs with rose colored glasses - but please people - don't drink the koolaid - or smoke the pot.

ETA - if pot is effective for treating these conditions - give them THC in a pill form. But then . . . . it's not about the medicine - it's about the high.

Save the economy?

What about all those unemployed cops and DEA agents? They'd have to try and make it in the private sector.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    OKAY here is want people fail to realize - 70% of your drug convictions sitting in prison are pled cases. They pick up Joe Schmoe for assult - he has drugs on him - they get him to pleed guilty to the drugs they send him to jail and avoid the cost of a trial for assult. I know the left wants to paint drugs with rose colored glasses - but please people - don't drink the koolaid - or smoke the pot.
    70% really? Got some stats?

ETA - if pot is effective for treating these conditions - give them THC in a pill form. But then . . . . it's not about the medicine - it's about the high.
    They do give people synthetic THC, in pill form... problem is it comes with unwanted side effects in many people that don't exist with other methods of injesting natural THC... either through smoking or eating.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Its not really a safe assumption to think that the legality of pot or most drugs does much to prevent usage. Legality is the last thing most people consider when deciding to smoke pot.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    70% really? Got some stats?

They do give people synthetic THC, in pill form... problem is it comes with unwanted side effects in many people that don't exist with other methods of injesting natural THC... either through smoking or eating.
    Bullshit. It's about getting high.

HERE
    - a new article since I have no idea where I read the other any more it's been years - and it shows a picture even more favorable towards keeping drugs illegal.

ETA - http://books.google.com/books?id=LFq...result#PPP1,M1 this book might be where I read about the high number of plead down cases.
    Last edited by PoliCon; 01-06-2009 at 02:37 PM.

I voted against that law, and I'm sad to see it go through. Michigan is quickly becoming a "druggie" state, and it's not that hard to pick out the people that where jumping up and down gleefully when this law passed. Grand Traverse County, Benzie County, and Manistee County are 3 counties in the pinky area of the state, and their pretty much becoming overrun with worthless pot heads who are fighting each other for jobs at McDonalds.

A large group of my friends in High School where pot heads. One has spent a couple years in jail since I left, another has gotten involved in a militant left wing group and works at subway (7 years after leaving high school), one I haven't heard from, but last I knew she was dating a grateful dead wanna-be member, and the last (who ended up being the most normal) has two children and seems to be living a decent life.

At least 50% of my generation in that part of the state are represented by these people. Their no good unproductive members of society who spend their free time from their fast food jobs getting wasted. It's a shame.

Now making it even easier for these people to melt their brains even more, and providing an environment for the childred to more easily get involved will only keep the trend going downhill. The day tha law was passed was a sad day for the state of Michigan.

Patent Member
    Until the Feds come into the state and prosecute anyone who is in possession of the drug.

Marijuana isn't legal in Michigan, it just isn't a violation of state law. Smoking pot is still illegal, and the federal government can send you to prison for possession or use.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    At least 50% of my generation in that part of the state are represented by these people. Their no good unproductive members of society who spend their free time from their fast food jobs getting wasted. It's a shame.

Now making it even easier for these people to melt their brains even more, and providing an environment for the childred to more easily get involved will only keep the trend going downhill. The day tha law was passed was a sad day for the state of Michigan.
    This has always been true. Lazy people who have low standards and low expectations have always been partying and self-medicating with one thing or another. They usually don't snap out it until they get tired of sleeping on their friends' couches and being glared at by their friends' working spouses.

Legalizing weed won't change that. No ambitious person with a 5 year plan is going to suddenly drop all that work and effort in order to get stupid high all day. The loser part comes first in pothead dynamics.