Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1 Vicar takes down crucifixion sculpture 'because it's a scary depiction of suffering' 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Vicar takes down crucifixion sculpture 'because it's a scary depiction of suffering'

    "That's The Whole Point Of The Crucifix. To show the Suffering Love Of The Christus For Us !"

    A vicar has removed a sculpture of the crucifixion from the front of his church because it was a 'horrifying depiction of pain and suffering' that was scaring off worshippers.

    Rev Ewen Souter said the traditional Christian symbol was frightening children and that it would be replaced with a modern, stainless steel cross.Some of the congregation have reacted angrily to the decision, saying it is another blow to Christian tradition.

    The sculpture of Jesus Christ being crucified has been removed from the front of St John's Church because it was 'too horrifying' One long-standing member of the church, who asked not to be named, said: 'The crucifix is the oldest and most famous symbol of the Christian church.

    'Pulling it down and putting up something that would look more at home on the side of a flashy modern shopping centre is not the way to get more bums on seats.

    'Next they'll be ripping out the pews and putting sofas in their place, or throwing out all the Bibles and replacing them with laptops. It's just not right.' Rev Souter said today: 'The crucifix expressed suffering, torment, pain and anguish. It was a scary image, particularly for children.

    'Parents didn't want to walk past it with their kids, because they found it so horrifying.'It wasn't a suitable image for the outside of a church wanting to welcome worshippers. In fact, it was a real put-off.

    'We're all about hope, encouragement and the joy of the Christian faith. We want to communicate good news, not bad news, so we need a more uplifting and inspiring symbol than execution on a cross.'

    The sculpture by Edward Bainbridge Copnall MBE, a former president of the Royal Society of British Sculptors, was installed onto St John's Church in Horsham, West Sussex, in the Sixties.
    It has now been removed and delivered to nearby Horsham Museum, where it will be displayed in its full glory.Rev Souter, who has been vicar at St John's since 2001, believes the modern new cross - designed by artist Angela Godfrey - will present 'a positive message of hope' on the side of his church.

    A spokesman at Horsham Museum said: 'Thanks to the generosity of St John's, we have been given the remarkable sculpture of Jesus on the Cross by Edward Bainbridge Copnall.

    'The museum was keen to have the figure because it is a stunning example of Edward's ability and skill as a sculptor.'
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    I have almost no hope for the current crop of kids. The other day there was a story about parents refusing to read traditional fairy tales to children because they didn't have happy endings and some were scary. Now this retard believes that kids are being traumatized by religious art.

    What does it say about the parenting skills of that generation that they can't explain the difference between real objects of fear (fire, criminals, the government) and depictions of non-happy states to their children? Wouldn't it be more important to desensitize a fearful child and offer some coping skills instead of putting the child in a minimalist environment?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    every church needs one of these - somewhere. People NEED to know the pain and the suffering that Christ endured.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    every church needs one of these - somewhere. People NEED to know the pain and the suffering that Christ endured.
    Mel Gibsons "Passion Of The Christ Does a 'good' job of illistrating how much Jesus Christ Suffered on the cross.I just can't bring myself to watching that video for a third time.It is beyoud understaning for Jesus Christ to love us that much and the demon to hate us to that extent !
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Mel Gibsons "Passion Of The Christ Does a 'good' job of illistrating how much Jesus Christ Suffered on the cross.I just can't bring myself to watching that video for a third time.It is beyoud understaning for Jesus Christ to love us that much and the demon to hate us to that extent !
    To tell the truth - while it was VERY accurate - it still fell short if you ask me. You get that much raw bloody meat out in heat and there is a natural result that Mel overlooked.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,335
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    To tell the truth - while it was VERY accurate - it still fell short if you ask me. You get that much raw bloody meat out in heat and there is a natural result that Mel overlooked.
    It does, at least, put in human terms just what God feels about sin... all sin. Unfortunately some can get past the image to understand what the image is really telling us. The cross represents God's wrath and His love simultaneously. The passion displays His wrath towards the sinful nature of man and His love for mankind by offering Himself as atonement for our sinful behavior.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    To tell the truth - while it was VERY accurate - it still fell short if you ask me. You get that much raw bloody meat out in heat and there is a natural result that Mel overlooked.
    Elucidate , provide clarification; explain.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,852
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    To tell the truth - while it was VERY accurate - it still fell short if you ask me. You get that much raw bloody meat out in heat and there is a natural result that Mel overlooked.
    Maybe we can ask Hamas how realistic it was.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,335
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Maybe we can ask Hamas how realistic it was.
    As usual you can't seem to help yourself and weigh in on a Christian discussion that has nothing relating to atheism that might interest you and make a comment that doesn't in any way relate to the subject being discussed. I think you are obsessed with Christianity.
    Last edited by FlaGator; 01-06-2009 at 10:30 PM.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Maybe we can ask Hamas how realistic it was.
    and you say you're not a leftist. bray for us wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllllbbbbbbb bbbbbbberrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •