Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    The Protestant Churches usually don't have a Crucifix because the story of the cross would never have been told if Jesus had remained on the cross. The main difference from an ordinary execution by crucifixtion was that Jesus rose again. The simple cross reminds us of what He did for us and that He is no longer on the cross.
    The only Protestant Church that I can think of that may display a crucifix is the Episcopal/Anglican Church.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    The only Protestant Church that I can think of that may display a crucifix is the Episcopal/Anglican Church.
    Catholic roots !

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    You read to much into the comment... Hamas crucifixion story still on the front page in breaking news it was simply still fresh in my mind. Nothing much was meant by it, accept really a dig towards Hamas. I'm surprised someone else didnt say it first.
    And what do suspect was Hamas's motive in that ?

Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    Ewwwww. . . Mabye b/c of the dry season, there were fewer pools of standing water, meaning less flies

I don't think we ever thought the little things like the flies. Ew.

~QC
    Nah - there would have been flies. Where it's warm and there are animals - there are flies. Remember - mosquitoes breed in water. Flies breed in meat and shit. They would have been all over him - eating and breeding. :(
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I grew up protestant, and we just had a big cross behind the altar (it was a modern, A-frame kind of church building). No crucifix, though. Most protestant churches don't have crucifixes-when I visited some more conservative churches in Grand Rapids, none of them did, either. Episcopalian churches sometimes have them.

The catholic church behind the house I grew up in had a crucifix, but it wasn't a gory-looking one.

The real gory crucifixes always remind me of the scenes in "Carrie" when her crazy mother locks her in the closet to pray for her soul, where there are all these particularly freaky-looking crucifixes.
    In my church - we have a cross above the main alter and a crucifix on it. In the auxiliary chapels - the location of the crucifix varies- but every chapel has one.

The Protestant Churches usually don't have a Crucifix because the story of the cross would never have been told if Jesus had remained on the cross. The main difference from an ordinary execution by crucifixtion was that Jesus rose again. The simple cross reminds us of what He did for us and that He is no longer on the cross.
    Now to me - I see an empty cross and I see a symbol of Roman persecution. I see a crucifix and I am reminded of the sacrifice of Christ. The resurrection would be better depicted by an empty tomb than an empty cross . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Now to me - I see an empty cross and I see a symbol of Roman persecution. I see a crucifix and I am reminded of the sacrifice of Christ. The resurrection would be better depicted by an empty tomb than an empty cross . . . .
    We all have our opinions.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

We all have our opinions.
    Very true. You have yours and I have mine. Yours is wrong and mine is right. :p

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Very true. You have yours and I have mine. Yours is wrong and mine is right. :p
    Now you soumd like my wife so here is my usual retort:

Yes dear.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Keep your wife the hell away from mine!! :p She finds out that your wife gets that from you - she'll want the same from me!!:eek: