1. #1 New York City’s $15 Minimum Wage Is Now Officially a Disaster 
    https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...disaster-71761

Roughly 77 percent of NYC restaurants have slashed employee hours. Thirty-six percent said they had to layoff employees and 90 percent had to increase prices following the minimum wage hike, according to a NYC Hospitality Alliance survey taken just one month after the bill took effect.

Don’t anyone dare say “I told you so.”
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    I guess the next step is to tax the business owners for failing.

Some businesses can afford to pay a $15 minimum wage. Restaurants and retail generally can't afford it.

What about the employees that started at minimum wage and worked their way up to $15.00, do they get a raise to compensate for the raise in minimum wage?

It seems only fair to me.

I bet not many considered that.
    I love the sound of liberal heads exploding in the morning!!

Toxically masculine and proud of it!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old n Grumpy View Post
    What about the employees that started at minimum wage and worked their way up to $15.00, do they get a raise to compensate for the raise in minimum wage?

That's an argument I use frequently, and it flusters most proponents of raising the minimum wage.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

$15.00 is an arbitrary number the libs came up with. All it will do is boost the cost of living and eventually it will balance out so that 15.00 buys the same about as the pre 15.00 per hour minimum wage. That is how a free market works. Add water to a pool and the water slush around for a little bit but it will level out again. The only difference is there is more water in the pool and one has to be taller to get his or her head above water.
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22

Here in California the minimum wage is going up to $15/hr at a dollar per year. Where I work, whenever it increases, I go talk to my boss and ask him to apply it to my wages as well. He's done it every time.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Liberalism is what the stupid think is smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Here in California the minimum wage is going up to $15/hr at a dollar per year. Where I work, whenever it increases, I go talk to my boss and ask him to apply it to my wages as well. He's done it every time.
    Which means that raising the minimum wage to 15.00 an hour is a zero-sum gain for those receiving it.
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22

I hadn't really considered that, it's been a long time since I worked for minimum wage. The last time I did, it was at K-Mart. We did get regular raises every 3 months or so, of .25 an hour. It was to reward us for sticking it out. Some of my coworkers in the apparel department in the K-Zoo store had been there for several years and were full-time employees. Minimum wage was somewhere around $3.35 then (1985-87). A lot of the full-time people with seniority were making $7 or so an hour, which wasn't bad for retail at the time. Assistant managers at the time started at around $20,000 a year, which is about what I started with at this job, in 1987. I made a deal with my store manager at the last one I worked at in GR when I started back there in the winter of 1987-if I hadn't found a social work job by August, he would recommend me for the management training program. I got the state job in May, but I would have been cafeteria manager before September, otherwise. The manager I worked under had a stroke shortly after I left. I was doing all her work for her anyways at that point, and the managers all knew that. Some of them wouldn't eat there unless I was cooking.